• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
BlacknTan

Canine Nutrition.. The more I study, the less I know

BlacknTan

Okay, I don't mean this to be yet another "best dog food" thread.

As many know, we've got a new pup, and obviously want the best for her. I've fed most of the brand names out there over the years, but there are many highly vaunted, and equally high priced newcomers also. So, I've been doing my research to get tighter stools and quality nutrition.

I used to be of the opinion that, canines as carnivores, are meat eaters, never taking into account the millenia of dog's domestication and close association with man, to their credit or detriment, however one may view the issue..

So, the feed store, obviously with a axe to grind, states there are five superior food companies, most I've heard of, but notably, one family feed company that I had never heard of. On to our Vet, whom I trust completely. She recommends Pro Plan, Science Diet, or Canidae. Why? Because these companies have Veterinarians and Nutritionists on staff. I must say that this makes sense to me.

So, on to the internet, where information is rampant, but one must be prepared to seperate the "wheat from the chaff" so to speak... The web is notorious for producing vast amounts of chaff compared to small kernels of wheat. But, I did find more information I was not aware of...

AAFCO testing, that examines the quality of the food through long term, real testing..

The fact that some feed companies do not much more than put their name on the bag and contract with one of the bigger companies to produce their product. From the information I have, their are only five companies that have their own plants to produce food.

Does the company have their own, on site testing labs to assure the quality of ingredients before being formulated into Fluffy's food?

Alot more questions, but you get the idea...  The more you know.

So, we've gone through three feeds already , and getting closer to our goal. I've somewhat given up on "super premium" feeds for the reasons my vet gave. Also, specialty veterinary diets are made by  Hills (Science Diet) and Purina (Pro Plan et al). I've fed Pro Plan in the past, and we're giving it a try once again, but, the proof will be pudding....

I'm interested in the thoughts of others who struggle with this dilemma..

john mcg

We went through the same thing several years ago and ended up back at PPP, because of their track record.

Brad Eden

Yes, separating the wheat from the chaff is a requirement to survive on the interweb and that includes good old UJ...Ran the gamut on specialty dog foods. Went back to PPP years ago and haven't looked back.

Natty Bumpo

PPP Performance 30/20 formula (Purple Bag) is a rock solid choice. My dogs have all done great on this food over the years. Many pros agree.

Don Steese

I'm back to PPP also. Im starting to see a trend here.

john mcg

I must add that we have always backed up the dry food nutrition with beef and chicken. Mostly chicken.

dogrunner

I left PPP years ago after feeding it for over 30 years when they kept raising there price and lowered there bag weight, come on #37.5 in a bag. 9_9  They raised it when corn was at a high and never brought it back down, probably because all the designer food is so pricey so they figured they could keep it at that price. 

Dogwood
13 hours ago, john mcg said:

I must add that we have always backed up the dry food nutrition with beef and chicken. Mostly chicken.

Absolutely the best way to boost nutritional value of any food.  Cooked eggs are the gold standard/highest quality protein.

Gyrfolco

PPP is a good quality food, but I don't like how much yellow tarter my dogs teeth gain while feeding it. I've tried them all over the years including some high protein and fat sled dog food. But, I've settled on a brand named Farmina. Absolutely the best I've found. My dogs teeth are clean on it, they don't get fat in the summer on it, and my females are having healthier litters on it. Including the fact they don't get fat on it while pregnant and after whelping. If I run out before my new order gets here I buy a bag of PPP and it sustains them until the Farmina arrives at my door. Food is not cheap, but the shipping is free.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, Gyrfolco said:

PPP is a good quality food, but I don't like how much yellow tarter my dogs teeth gain while feeding it. I've tried them all over the years including some high protein and fat sled dog food. But, I've settled on a brand named Farmina. Absolutely the best I've found. My dogs teeth are clean on it, they don't get fat in the summer on it, and my females are having healthier litters on it. Including the fact they don't get fat on it while pregnant and after whelping. If I run out before my new order gets here I buy a bag of PPP and it sustains them until the Farmina arrives at my door. Food is not cheap, but the shipping is free.

Interesting choice, never heard of it before. Don’t look like it’s made in the USA and it’s quite pricey. 

BlacknTan

Has anyone researched where and how their chosen food is produced, and by whom?

Purina obviously is a giant, and does everything "in house," but, are all the ingredients sourced locally, in the USA or from questionable overseas sources? Do any of us really know? This is the kind on insider info I was trying to glean... How safe are our foods, where do they come from,. and who certifies the quality of the food and/or it's ingredients?

Honestly, I don't ask these questions about the food I eat myself, but our canine friends depend on us to make the correct choices.

BlacknTan

Just a "for instance..."

This feed is 60% Protein.

https://www.wysong.net/epigen?redirect=1

Other than sled dogs in winter, I cannot imagine a dog the could, or should utilize this food. Even a bird guide's dog working every day would, IMO, not need this. Are we being fed a line of bull. Do canine nutritionists approve of this? Is this formulated under the guidance of a nutritionist. Should we feed something like this and just judge the results by what we see in the short term, when other problems could be arising within the dog over the long haul? Is more and more always better?

Or, are we being led to our own destruction?

PartridgeCartridge

I love my critters as much as anyone does. I feed them the best that science and historical veterinary/health/recall  info can offer right now. In the long run, PPP is a very solid choice IMO.

I don't feed the high protein food unless we are hunting.  Shiit, I'd feed Ollie porterhouses if the science showed it to be good for him.

Have you ever nibbled on a kibble from PPP?  I could easily snack on a few with a few cold ones. Yes, it tastes that good.

406dn

The tartar problem is about the only knock on PPP. I've tried various things to clean their teeth, none so far is perfect. What now do is give them a rawhide of some sort, ONLY when I have the time to supervise them. Then they get to chew maybe 15-20 minutes, or whenever they start making much progress. 

terrym
14 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I don't feed the high protein food unless we are hunting.  

I was considering something like that too. What Protien and fat levels do you drop down to?