BlacknTan

Canine Nutrition.. The more I study, the less I know

Gunsmoke

I'm not getting into this fight but will say its pretty funny how it's always us bird dog guys complaining about dog food. Most of us feed ppp  and we're never happy always searching for something better I used to include myself in this mix. Dogs don't gain weight,coats look like crap some have cloudy eyes. I will say these things. It's all junk do yourself a favor instead of throwing your arms in the air and saying uncle or like most field trailers saying oh but they support our sport Talk to some people who raised and race sled dogs you can learn an awful lot from those people. When I was a boy we never fed this crap we went to the butcher and got his scraps. But now oh yea that's right meat comes from a grocery store 😊

Carry on

Curt
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, PartridgeCartridge said:

I don't feed the high protein food unless we are hunting.  Shiit, I'd feed Ollie porterhouses if the science showed it to be good for him.

Ditto, I feed PPP 26/16 formula most of the year and as we approach hunting season step it up to the 30/20 or stay with 26/16 but add in some PPP Puppy formula.

studdog

I'm on board with PPP.  Feed 26/16 all year except switch to 30/20 when hunting regularly.  Purina advised to feed 30/20 all year and cut back on amount when less active.  My vet likes my plan better. FWIW

sprocket
4 hours ago, studdog said:

I'm on board with PPP.  Feed 26/16 all year except switch to 30/20 when hunting regularly.  Purina advised to feed 30/20 all year and cut back on amount when less active.  My vet likes my plan better. FWIW

So using the 26/16-30/20 as a model:

Do you stay in the same brand?

How digestable is the 26/16 formula?

Thanks - good info in here

Chukarman

PPP for the past 8-10 years. Works for me, but in season or very cold (California) weather, I top dress with a little tuna, chicken, beef, lamb... whatever is handy.

\Last bag was 50 lbs. and $42.99 retail.

studdog

I once toured One of Purina's Farms.  I was impressed.  The Purina Pro Plan products are well researched by top people.  Of course, no food works for every dog.  I've also heard good reports on Purina's "Bright Minds" product for older dogs.  I plan on switching my FBEC to that as she ages. 

Chukarman

I feed PPP 30/20 year around. More when hunting, less when inactive.

grouse28
On 12/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, DonT said:

I didn't know that canines where omnivores, could you send me a link to that research. 

Not a link just empirical data. My brother is a coyote trapper and often examines the stomachs.

They eat anything they can find, one was apparently raiding a compost pile. Potatoes, carrots, apples, etc.

One big old male actually had large pieces of a disposable diaper.

The normal meat, bones and feathers also.

Urban_Redneck
3 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Not a link just empirical data. My brother is a coyote trapper and often examines the stomachs.

They eat anything they can find, one was apparently raiding a compost pile. Potatoes, carrots, apples, etc.

One big old male actually had large pieces of a disposable diaper.

The normal meat, bones and feathers also.

The presence of vegetable matter in the in the gut of a coyote only proves that coyotes (and dogs) will eat most anything.  Inferring anything more than that, is like offering churches as proof there is a god.

Eating and digestion are two different things. Canines do not have flat molars and jaw mechanics to grind plant material or the digestion tract to extract much nutrition from raw fruits and vegetables.  

dogrunner

All my dogs love carrots especially her.  

156F7196-9C15-4B31-AADF-C8C01B72D53C.jpeg

J_ellard

I switched to Victor a while back and have been more than pleased. Smaller bm's, smoother coats, plenty of energy and great recovery- just to name a few. Cost is about a $1/lb but a little goes a long way. I feed the red bag (High Energy) and have had great results.

Urban_Redneck
7 hours ago, dogrunner said:

My pup gets the occasional carrot for our mutual amusement ;)

max2
8 hours ago, dogrunner said:

When we were kids we were told to eat our carrots.......... I bet she has the best eye sight out of the pack...

max2

I no longer have a dog but still gravitate to the dog section of any store I may be in that has a dog section. The other day while at TSC I was standing in front of a PPP display looking at the GSP on the advertisement. When a young lady asked if I needed help . I smiled as I replied and pointed at the Ad and said yes I need one of those .  

I have heard some say a company named Diamond brings together good food. While talking with TSC clerk she informed me that TSC brand called 4 life (I think) was made by Diamond co. For what it's worth.

My first shorthair grew up on Pro-Plan ~  Max my second shorthair grew up on Purina-one and did great on it. We didn't trial ...we were just a couple regular guy's.... We would occasionally split a bag of cheeze-it's  

Dogwood
1 hour ago, max2 said:

I no longer have a dog but still gravitate to the dog section of any store I may be in that has a dog section. The other day while at TSC I was standing in front of a PPP display looking at the GSP on the advertisement. When a young lady asked if I needed help . I smiled as I replied and pointed at the Ad and said yes I need one of those .  

I have heard some say a company named Diamond brings together good food. While talking with TSC clerk she informed me that TSC brand called 4 life (I think) was made by Diamond co. For what it's worth.

My first shorthair grew up on Pro-Plan ~  Max my second shorthair grew up on Purina-one and did great on it. We didn't trial ...we were just a couple regular guy's.... We would occasionally split a bag of cheeze-it's  

Sounds to me like you need to get another dog.  Soon!