BlacknTan

Canine Nutrition.. The more I study, the less I know

J_ellard

Diamond has had several recalls and there have been several dog's to die as a result. I'd proceed with caution using it or the 4 health which is made by diamond. I was feeding it until I found all of that out, not worth the risk to me. 

Rick Hall
On 12/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, PartridgeCartridge said:

Have you ever nibbled on a kibble from PPP?  I could easily snack on a few with a few cold ones. Yes, it tastes that good.

Know this is an old post but just got bored enough to open "another dog food thread".  Anyway, baby brother used to grab a handful of Purina Dog Chow to snack on while walking to grade school.  And we kid about that being prophetic, as he later was a veterinarian along his course to becoming a clinical pathologist.

salmontogue
23 minutes ago, J_ellard said:

Diamond has had several recalls and there have been several dog's to die as a result. I'd proceed with caution using it or the 4 health which is made by diamond. I was feeding it until I found all of that out, not worth the risk to me. 

Pretty much every animal food manufacturer has experienced tainted food and/or defective processing leading to recalls. This includes, but is not limited to, processed feed for dogs, cats, birds, fish, poultry and livestock.  Take a tour on the internet and you will find some familiar names that are often mentioned on UJ.  I will not mention names as I believe that might be misleading because I am far from a canine nutrition expert.  Best advice = internet search, your vet, your breeder.

Perk

Perk

salmontogue

A good resource for recalls is petful.com   Also the USFDA and the AVMA for food and animal pharmaceutical recalls.

Perk

MNice
1 hour ago, J_ellard said:

I was once advised by a breeder friend to avoid this brand. "Feed anything but"...several kennels were having problems with severe hair loss on this brand.

BlacknTan

Diamond had some major problems years ago. Dogs died as a result. Things may have changed, and I'm sure they probably have, but I'll feed my  dogs the best I feel I can buy.

salmontogue
6 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

Diamond had some major problems years ago. Dogs died as a result. Things may have changed, and I'm sure they probably have, but I'll feed my  dogs the best I feel I can buy.

Check out petful.com for food problems.  Many well known brands listed.  What is the best you can buy?

Perk

BlacknTan
15 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

What is the best you can buy?

Perk

I wish I knew, because if I did, I'd buy it..

That said, I know a gent that buys organic meat and vegetables and cooks it up for his dogs. Is that the best diet?? I don't know that either...

dogrunner
21 hours ago, J_ellard said:

I switched to Victor a while back and have been more than pleased. Smaller bm's, smoother coats, plenty of energy and great recovery- just to name a few. Cost is about a $1/lb but a little goes a long way. I feed the red bag (High Energy) and have had great results.

I’ve been feeding it for a few years the dogs like it and so do I.  I usually get it cheaper then you and when it’s on sale I buy in Bulk. 

C98888FC-7032-4481-90B7-53D878A69046.jpeg

dogrunner
12 hours ago, max2 said:

When we were kids we were told to eat our carrots.......... I bet she has the best eye sight out of the pack...

She see's and smells real good, actually I have never really had a dog that don't like them .

dogrunner
3 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

Know this is an old post but just got bored enough to open "another dog food thread".  Anyway, baby brother used to grab a handful of Purina Dog Chow to snack on while walking to grade school.  And we kid about that being prophetic, as he later was a veterinarian along his course to becoming a clinical pathologist.

My buddies and I were like your brother, after a night of being on the prowl we would come back to his garage and have some Dog Chow, not bad.  So when my Nephew came over I asked him if he was hungry he said yep so I opened the dog food bag in the garage and grab a handful and starting eating some,  he thought  I was kidding. I said grab some, he says no way, I grabbed another hand full my dad started laughing, I finally coaxed him to eat a little. I said well, he said its a little dry, I told him to put some milk on it. :D  He is now got his Masters in Nutrition not sure he would eat a handful with me now.