Brock A

My First season behind "Moose"

Brock A

I got a new pup last year, a German Shorthair. A first for me as I have always had labs. Anyway, it has been pretty enjoyable hunting behind "Moose" this year. He turned 1 on 11/29 and is really kicking butt. He definitely "gets it".

We started this summer with some dove on a local dairy farm

38648171432_7f39d6d891.jpg

Then got a little grouse action

38648167412_1cf7d19d06.jpg

Next we rolled right into pheasant as soon as my big game hunts were over for the year. Here he is with his first rooster.

37962443554_7e27f9219e.jpg

A hunt just shy of a 3 man limit. He was one TIRED pup after this hunt. I almost had to carry him back to the truck.

38648185272_0241ed80e6.jpg

Solo day for him and I, We got 3 roosters and a few quail.

37962424824_01845aaa1a.jpg
38880514612_bc339067c4.jpg

First chuckar hunt, we got 2 along with a few quail. Poor shooters this day for Moose, he wasnt happy with us...

38624131476_9eb1ac4b4f.jpg

I took him on his birthday weekend. He pointed 3 roosters and being solo, I picked the wrong side of the tree for 2 of them. I was able to knock the 3rd one down for him though. Biggest tail to date, it was also his 12th rooster on the year.

38817351111_039d57188c.jpg

We are headed back over east this weekend. Hoping to get into some birds!

Brad Eden

Great first Post!

Felix

Nice PE!  It sounds like Moose is a keeper. Keep us posted.

PS: Hello from PA.

PartridgeCartridge

I like Moose.

rosies dad

Yep, birds is what makes a bird dog. Try to keep from shooting wild flushed birds too much or you might make a German Shorthair Flusher. ha 

Good looking dawg, sounds like he knows how to find birds. How's his retrieving? 

Brock A
41 minutes ago, rosies dad said:

Yep, birds is what makes a bird dog. Try to keep from shooting wild flushed birds too much or you might make a German Shorthair Flusher. ha 

Good looking dawg, sounds like he knows how to find birds. How's his retrieving? 

He does well with retrieving. I taught him to play fetch as a young pup. Plus he watches my chocolate lab play fetch for hours so I know he gets the concept. But so far he's been good at bringing them back to me.

sdspringer49

Very nice year you two are having....and Moose is a good looking dog.  All these early bird contacts are going to pay off for years.

charlo slim

Good Boy, Moosey!

ThreeDogs
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Great first Post!

Yes indeed!

Wildcat

yes, Moose is a good boy!!

Brock A

Well I knew sooner or later we were going to have a tough weekend of hunting. It all cant be awesome. My GPS said 17 miles. We got 9 pheasant up, 3 being roosters. I knocked the first one down and it fell in some very thick reeds onto a frozen pond. I am guessing it hit the ice and ran. We couldn't find it and after I fell through the ice to my knees trying to help break trail for moose, we kept moving. The other two roosters were a little out of range and didn't hold at all. Of course, all but 1 hen flushed right in my face! Moose had a bit of limp Saturday night and this morning he was still favoring his left paw so we checked out a new spot for next weekend and headed home. He got the day off.

Saturday after we got back to the truck after shooting hours, I opened the door for him and then went to the back of the truck and took my vest off and put my gun away, he was sound asleep in less than a minute, haha!

38085033115_aaa3ce76cf_z.jpg

PartridgeCartridge

He's a cool looking pup. I really like his name and his coloring. Work on Steady.

dogrunner

Nice work, good looking dog but with a name like that he should be sporting a nice rack. :)

Jazz4Brazo

Cant wait to see Moose on the Loose again.

Good looking boy.

J4B

Remo

Welcome to UJ. Very nice PE, keep'em coming. That ground looks like bird country.