FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brock A

My First season behind "Moose"

Speedgoat44

'Attaboy Moose!  Congrats and welcome to the forum!

snood

Nice looking pup! Enjoy the journey young man, you're off to a great start!

Brock A

Our season here in WA is open until Jan. 15th. I had some big plans of hunting every weekend until then. However, with work at an all time level of crazy (project manager in the booming Seattle economy), I have been putting in too many hours and was quickly realizing that I need to make time for Moose. So I got up at 4:30 this morning and headed east for a short half day hunt. I sure am glad I did. We had our best day to date as far as birds and points goes. He pointed 6 pheasant, 5 roosters and 1 hen and we had about 6 points on coveys of quail that equaled probably over 100 of those quick bastards flushing.

Weather was freezing fog. The birds were holding good and Moose was able to follow scent easily

38237966385_80c6971c07_z.jpg

I stopped for a few minutes for a snack and Moose was chomping at the bit to keep going!

24259352937_7631d9081b_z.jpg

We ended up with 2 rooties and 3 quail. I should have had a 3rd for a limit and the quail....I dont want to talk about the quail. Lets just say my shotgun shell budget will need to be upped after today!

24259358017_a7b4ae158c_z.jpg

Tired pup on the way home!

39088893132_50c99ce453_z.jpg

RDG

Awesome pics.   Work does sucks.  It's cutting into our first hunting season too.  

PartridgeCartridge

Moose is one cool dude.

Brock A

Well with work and the Christmas holiday taking precedence over our hunting last weekend, Moose was wound up and ready to stretch the legs. I worked Saturday and then headed over the mountain to Eastern Washington. Dec 31 was a great day to hunt Quail! My Fiance, Kaleigh was able to come along. She hadn't been able to do hardly any hunting this year with Nursing school finishing up. She graduated in early December and was really wanting to get out. It was nice to hunt with her!

38558825725_6eb634ffec_z.jpg

We got into LOTS of quail and they held very tight. I had to kick several to get them to flush. I shot my limit rather quickly and then spent the rest of the day working the dog while Kaleigh kicked the bushes.

39436734481_34208298ff_z.jpg

Here is a bird that I shot and it landed in the sage. Moose had never had a dead bird NOT on the ground. He thought it was still alive and would not pick it up. He held point for at least 3 minutes before I convinced him it was dead and he could retrieve it. Quite funny actually.

39436736081_a1f8fc3705_z.jpg

Moose standing guard over his days work.

39436737941_7b0a791185_z.jpg

Zoli

Moose is nice..... great pictures, thanks for posting

Brock A

Had to work another Saturday. So Sunday morning we got up early and drove east. Great day for quail. We had some BIG coveys and we were limited by 10AM

39568249061_2207e099bf.jpg

Moose was really interested in the tree, he kept circling it but wasnt exactly "birdie". I looked up and realized why! We moved on.

25698131188_c40cbbdb37.jpg

Moose in the thick stuff. He was retrieving a quail I had shot. He was pinned to the ground and had to belly crawl out backwards. Awesome retrieve. Look closely and you can see his right front paw and leg

38859737254_e3823d1336.jpg

Tired pup on the way home!

39538806912_1f9f2c1c50.jpg

Felix
10 hours ago, Brock A said:

39538806912_1f9f2c1c50.jpg

Love the front seat dog. You know it's been a good day when you see your hunting buddy conked out on the ride home.

JWP58

Glad to see you made it over from the 'slide

Brock A
19 minutes ago, JWP58 said:

Glad to see you made it over from the 'slide

Haha, I figured there had to be a few "forum folks" I knew on here!

SODAKer
On 12/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, Brock A said:

Well I knew sooner or later we were going to have a tough weekend of hunting. It all cant be awesome. My GPS said 17 miles. We got 9 pheasant up, 3 being roosters. I knocked the first one down and it fell in some very thick reeds onto a frozen pond. I am guessing it hit the ice and ran. We couldn't find it and after I fell through the ice to my knees trying to help break trail for moose, we kept moving. The other two roosters were a little out of range and didn't hold at all. Of course, all but 1 hen flushed right in my face! Moose had a bit of limp Saturday night and this morning he was still favoring his left paw so we checked out a new spot for next weekend and headed home. He got the day off.

Saturday after we got back to the truck after shooting hours, I opened the door for him and then went to the back of the truck and took my vest off and put my gun away, he was sound asleep in less than a minute, haha!

38085033115_aaa3ce76cf_z.jpg

That's the way to ride shotgun. Flat busted, tired and in the comfort of a warm seat after a hard day hunting. Good looking dogger and thanks for the picts. 

Wildcat

Brock, where did Kaleigh sit if Moose is in the front seat?? She must be a very understanding woman. :) Quail is my favorite game bird to eat. I wish we had that many here in CO!! Moose is very lucky to have you.

Brock A
21 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Brock, where did Kaleigh sit if Moose is in the front seat?? She must be a very understanding woman. :) Quail is my favorite game bird to eat. I wish we had that many here in CO!! Moose is very lucky to have you.

Haha! Moose gets the boot to the back seat when Kaleigh comes along. He is not pleased about either!

Ben Hong

Welcome aboard Brock. Moose looks like a spitting image of my Tye at that age. Only Tye was 29” and 78 lbs at 1 year old. But looks like Moose does not give up one iota when it comes to bird finding ability. Enjoy the ride.