• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
bkelble

Life Moves Fast... Shopping for a Minivan

Rockdoc
2 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

As a side note, the Mrs. and I have decided on a post van world, daily driver, grocery hauler and travel vehicle, all in one. In about 3 years she will have been driving kids around in a minivan for 30 years.  Hopefully the last two will be out of the house then and I will be retired.  If those stars line up, we want a Scion XB similar to the 09 model we picked up last year for our son’s first car.  It was purely by chance that we bought this funky looking entry-level car designed for young people.  The price on Craigslist was right, it is in great shape, and it’s made by Toyota (say no more). Once you get past the odd breadbox shape, it’s an amazing car.  The inside is cavernous, like a van but with two rows of seating.  My son is 6’3” and has 6 inches of headroom.  The seats sit at just the right height too be easy to get in and out of.  Its peppy 4 cylinder engine gets 30+ mpg and it’s a hoot to drive.  The back seats have lots of leg room and fold down with the pull of a lever to create a huge flat cargo area. The factory stereo rocks….literally the whole car.  I consider myself a car enthusiasts and very few moderately priced small cars meet my standards, this one does.  The suspension and handling are crisp, responsive and comfortable on trips.   It has all the traveling comforts of a van (for fewer people), without the mileage penalty.  The only thing better would be if I could get it in a 5 speed. This car may be designed as a young person’s first car, but we want one for one of our last cars when we get old(er).  No Buick for us, thank you. 

image.jpeg

I'll take function over form any day. I have a favor to ask. What is the length of that huge flat cargo from the rear gate to the back of the seat (with the seat in full up and forward position). I like to travel/camp in my Caravan but at 6'4" I have to be careful to assure I have room to comfortably stretch out.

Steve

topdog1961

I read ur message to fast and measured front seats full up and folded forward, that's how I'd sleep in it. The distance is 6ft, or 7ft diagonally. But there is a deep 1.5 foot gap between the folded back seat and the back of the front seat, which I'm sure you could fill with cargo to support your feet. 

I likely overstated the mileage at 30+. Unfortunately I don't get to drive it much. I just looked it up and it is rated at 28/22. But it is a larger 4 cyl with lots of power for hills and cargo. I think it's the same engine as a Camry. It's a lot more powerful than my daughters Corolla which is a demonstated mid 30s mpg highway. But the way her car rides and drives... Bleh. 

edit: I just went back out and checked, it doesn't make much difference how you fold the front seats.  They won't go much farther forward that vertical. 

bigjohnsd

I've moved a lot of Minivans around the country for my car dealer friend.

Were I in the market for a Minivan I would by a Honda Odyssey first, the Toyota Sienna second, the Chrysler units are not as solid.  The Nissan is often overlooked, I only have driven one of those and don't really have an opinion on them.

The Odyssey is far and away the best even after taking into account price.  They are a 250,000 mile rig as long as you do the basic maintenance and change the cam drive belt every 100,000 miles.

Rockdoc

Just a heads-up here. I've never seen a Honda yet that didn't have interference-fit valves. You blow a cam belt on an engine with interference-fit valves and you instantly have major engine damage. There's no way in hell I'd run a Honda for 100K between cam belt changes, I don't care what the manual says!

Toyota Sienna.  Period. 

Don't listen to all these old guys.  Take it from someone who has a 6 year-old, a 5 year-old, and a 3 year-old.  If you keep your eyes open and have a little patience, you can find great deals  on Siennas.  I got mine three years ago when my daughter was born.  Traded in our SUV for it and haven't missed the thing at all.  The thing is awesome!  Handles great, plenty of power, decent gas mileage, and very convenient for moving kids.  I live in Utah and spend a lot of time in Idaho.  The Sienna does great in the snow and in the mountains (on paved roads).  I'm not a car nut and can't recite statistics regarding performance in arbitrary categories.  I'm a dad who has to move kids.  This thing is just the ticket.

Don't fool yourself - a kid hauler is not an alternate camping vehicle or reserve hunting rig.  It is a kid hauler.  Hexfly has the right of it.  Moms can be surprisingly non-understanding. . . .

Finally, congratulations on having a daughter.  Being a dad is the best thing that has ever happened to me.  Being a dad to a little girl is even better.  I don't get the concern some guys have about having boys.  My first two were boys.  The last one is a girl.  I'd trade both the boys and all the dogs for another little girl.  Best of luck to you and mom.  You're in for a good time!

Rob