Grousehunter

Kennel Design

Grousehunter

I'm in the early phases of planning an outdoor kennel (dog run) for spring to go along with a new dog.  Space isn't an issue.  We live on 20 acres but don't have a fenced yard so this would serve as a safe space for the dog when we can't supervise and the dog isn't with us in the house.  I'm thinking somewhere around 12' x 20' and about 6' in height with some overhead cover for sun/ rain.

Any ideas, designs, lessons learned?

Thanks in advance.

dogrunner

I use 10' x 10' x6' with about half covered top, if on concrete give it some pitch and maybe a trough at the bottom for drainage. Will it be attached to some kind of building?

Grousehunter
On 12/13/2017 at 2:48 PM, dogrunner said:

I use 10' x 10' x6' with about half covered top, if on concrete give it some pitch and maybe a trough at the bottom for drainage. Will it be attached to some kind of building?

I think it will be stand alone.  Unfortunately we have wood patio off all 3 of our exit doors.

Craig Doherty

I am a big proponent of the Scott Kennel kits sold by Deer Creek dog is safe and clean.  Maintenance is easy.  I have 12 attached to a building and 6 free standing ones.  Been using them for 30 years.  The problem with a 12 X 20 x 6 foot pen the dog can climb out if it's not covered, dig out if it's not on concrete.  A 12 x 20 concrete pad is going to require daily cleaning and will really be a PIA in winter in Ontario.

photoshootkennel.jpg

Brookieslayer

I would build a concrete 8 x 10 x 6 high with a full top attached to the garage if I had a heated one (I do) and give the pup a space inside the heated garage for a nap if it wants. Like  a wire kennel with a doggie door to keep the pup from getting into mischief. I like Craig's suggestion, however at -30 (doesn't matter C or F) the air moving under that might add to the chill for the pup? The outside part of the kennel if it is concrete would be reasonable to clean off after freezing in the winter, and would get a good cleaning in the summer regularly to keep flies etc at bay... that would be my ideal setup.... just my .02

Craig Doherty
4 hours ago, Brookieslayer said:

I like Craig's suggestion, however at -30 (doesn't matter C or F) the air moving under that might add to the chill for the pup?

It gets pretty cold here as well.  Just added a hound heater and sheathed the outside with 1" foam insulation board.  It was always warm in the boxes even when we were well below zero.  Now with the heated building the boxes are inside and cold is not a concern.  

Hound heater

Gyrfolco

Don't forget your K9 Kondo dog door. I have them on all my insulated dog houses. Also have hound heaters in each box and in 20* weather they will keep the box around 65*-70*.

dogrunner

They work good but not all dogs will use them. 

john mcg

Just keep your dogs in the house with you.

Randy S

For many years it was said that a long narrow run caused the dog to get more exercise while kenneled than a square run. Can a square be a run? The only problem I find with a run is that some dogs always seem to evacuate right in front of the gate, no matter how often you let them out. Then run to the gate and jump up and down when you approach. My Lab won't even pee in her run but my little Springer is always dancing in her toilet bowl.

Besides cleanliness, concrete goes a long way towards toughening a dog's feet and keeping their nails wore down. Even if my dogs were typically housebound, I'd still keep them in a concrete run for a few hours a day for the above reasons. 

Chukarman

I keep my 5 dogs in the house with me at night. I am planning a 3 to 5 acre enclosure for daytime exercise.