Sign in to follow this  
Remo

Planting Oaks

charlo slim
On 12/13/2017 at 10:52 AM, Remo said:

I was going through some pics from last fall and found a few on a habitat project with the neighbor kids....... So the little kids picked any they saw with a sprout and we planted them. A lot more than I thought we would. Don't ever give six year olds a grocery bag to pick acorns.......... I The kids flagged each spot.

18-DSC_4533

Some rather homely kids there in NODAK, same as I recall from 50+ years ago.  NTTAWWT, of course.

And big kudo's for getting kids involved, not to mention sharing through the walk-in program.  Good job.

barna
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:21 AM, ScottGrush said:

We planted some 30 or so burr oaks in 2014, good stock from a nursery, fenced to keep deer away. In one location 9 of 10 are dead due to defoliation by rose chafers.

In the other site most have survived(like 19 of 20) but this Spring tent caterpillars hit them hard. Seems like something is always hungry when it comes to doing any conservation work. 

My understanding is that the tent worms are an essential grouse food for the young chicks, so not all bad I suppose.

Barna

ScottGrush
19 hours ago, barna said:

My understanding is that the tent worms are an essential grouse food for the young chicks, so not all bad I suppose.

Barna

I think the June rains killed most of the chicks this year before they got a chance to eat those tent caterpillars. 

Next year we are going to be ready for them and spray before it's GO time for the little wormys. 

Reeba
On 12/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, barna said:

Barna

In which case, our grouse should be well fed.  Tent worms here go through cycles and generally don't kill anything.  They love aspen and black cherry.  Local foresters don't think one needs to do anything about them since  they go through their cycles, don't usually kill anything and often in the same year the leaves come back.

barna
10 hours ago, Reeba said:

In which case, our grouse should be well fed.  Tent worms here go through cycles and generally don't kill anything.  They love aspen and black cherry.  Local foresters don't think one needs to do anything about them since  they go through their cycles, don't usually kill anything and often in the same year the leaves come back.

Some think that they are connected to the grouse cycle.

Barna 

Marc Ret

Remo, would you plant some more PA black walnuts if you had them? I have several large (30+" diameter) trees on my property that produce well. I picked up four 5 gallon buckets full (still have 12-15 buckets left on the ground) earlier this year that I was going to shell for baking but I'd be happy to ship you a box of them if you are willing to plant them. 

Marcus

Remo

Marc, thank you for the offer but I have nuts planted in two large tubs from last fall. If they germ I will have my spot full I think. The County Wildlife Club might take over a planting project next summer and if they do I would sure take you up on some 2018 nuts. Again, thank you.

This is one that germed in 2013. I learned they need the grass sprayed with roundup and a tube for protection.

P1060920

Marc Ret

Certainly. Consider it a standing offer as long as the power line crews don't get the trees. They tried to take them again a few months ago. I told the trimming crews rep that if they took them down, they were paying the price the veneer guy offered... They're still standing. 

Hope what you have started thrives Remo. And just to be clear, if you do want some, there's no cost to you. I'm happy to cover the shipping since they're being planted to benefit wildlife.