• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Teal 2018

Tim Frazier

What a great thread!!!  I think eventually I may print and save it!  Thanks guys!!

mccuha

We have a lot of teal here especially on the coast marsh.  I would like to some day get a cinnamon teal.  Was in nm a few weeks ago and looked around a little for them but never saw them. 

brushbuster

I used to go down to the eastern shore of Maryland for their early teal season.  What a blast took blue and green wings at the same spot.

DennisMcFeely
17 hours ago, brushbuster said:

I used to go down to the eastern shore of Maryland for their early teal season.  What a blast took blue and green wings at the same spot.

Let's do it next season.

Cheesy

I’m a newbie duck hunter, and can only contribute a pic from Kansas the day after thanksgiving and a pic from two days ago in central Texas on a farm pond. Sure is fun.  All I know is mallard decoys in the right place at the right time.....

Kansas

nfcUf0D.jpg

Texas two days ago with a brand new Beretta. 

ObuNzrS.jpg

mccuha

I know those mallard purists will disagree and always heard cans were the king and best tasting but like said before. Those teal are a ton of fun to shoot and they along with wood ducks are by far the best table fair as far as ducks are concerned 

Rick Hall
On 12/29/2017 at 10:34 PM, mccuha said:

Those teal are a ton of fun to shoot and they along with wood ducks are by far the best table fair as far as ducks are concerned 

I'm a fan of both of those, but you really need to try fulvous or black-bellied whistling duck.

Whole lot of fun there, Cheesy.

mccuha
2 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

I'm a fan of both of those, but you really need to try fulvous or black-bellied whistling duck.

I have s

mccuha
1 minute ago, mccuha said:

I have s

2 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

I have seen them before in la  duck hunting but never had a shot  the fulvous duck also are on the sc coast but never have seen them here

quailguy
4 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

Never had a shot at either of those ducks. I guess you need to set up on the water hazard at a golf course.... we did have black bellied tree ducks nesting on our place west of San Antonio. No water anywhere around for a 1/2 mile and the ducklings seemed to stay in the hole in the oak tree until they could fly.  Strange duck, doesn't migrate that I know of.

They also nested on the tops of flat buildings; just a weird duck.

Cheesy

I’ll admit to being happy with any duck at this point in my waterfowl career. Working on quality identification on the wing. Some are easy. Many are not. Luckily I’ve never been in a position of one of the wrong type would put me over limit. 

mccuha
35 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

I’ll admit to being happy with any duck at this point in my waterfowl career. Working on quality identification on the wing. Some are easy. Many are not. Luckily I’ve never been in a position of one of the wrong type would put me over limit. 

If you do it long enough it will become second nature. I recommend studying ID books and I would practice IDing them on tv for practice.  You’re biggest concerns will be pintails, redheads and cans.   Mallards you probably see more of. Most of the rest the limit is 6 in the miss. Central and Atlantic flyways. 

Rick Hall
7 hours ago, quailguy said:

Never had a shot at either of those ducks. I guess you need to set up on the water hazard at a golf course.... we did have black bellied tree ducks nesting on our place west of San Antonio. No water anywhere around for a 1/2 mile and the ducklings seemed to stay in the hole in the oak tree until they could fly.  Strange duck, doesn't migrate that I know of.

They also nested on the tops of flat buildings; just a weird duck.

Most of our fulvous migrate south (hence the common name "Mexican squealer") along with most of our blue-wings, but still don't fly fast or far enough the have the same oxygen to their breast requirements of other ducks, giving them a lighter, more domestic duck-like flavor that other wild waterfowl.  Probably also helps, for that same reason, that they have a wingspan to body size advantage over other ducks resulting in a less busy flight. Couldn't say if any of our blackbellies make the hop all the way to Mexico, just that they seem to shift around our general area all year and sometimes become one of our most likely targets when the fresh end of the Gulf Coastal marsh ices up.  But they share the same wing to body and style of flight - and flavor - advantages of their fulvous cousins.  That, and both are the absolute bane of the rice farmer.

Rick Hall
6 hours ago, mccuha said:

If you do it long enough it will become second nature. I recommend studying ID books and I would practice IDing them on tv for practice.  You’re biggest concerns will be pintails...

I've hunted every open duck day since '85 and still miss-ID something in flight from time to time, but hen pintails and gadwall were long my biggest challenge in poor light - until a more observant soul pointed out that gadwall have boobs and pintails don't.  IE: the gadwall look chestier before tapering into their necks than pins.

mccuha

I agree.  Poor light conditions make id ing difficult at times. I don’t live in a waterfowl rich state so here id ing is not as difficult. Primarily woodies, mallards and some blacks.  Your region has a lot more diversity and makes it more challenging. I’ve been hunting waterfowl for a few years longer than you and have hunted 3 of the 4 flyways and have not made a mistake yet.  It can though happen even to the best of them.  My hardest time to Id birds is in nd early light and the duck are still in molted stage. Every mallard to me looked like a hen.  I as well try to shoot drakes only and that helps with the iding   Most places I duck hunt after dec you generally only see 2-3 species and that makes it real easy