FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Teal 2018

Kemo Sabe
4 hours ago, Rick Hall said:

I've hunted every open duck day since '85 and still miss-ID something in flight from time to time, but hen pintails and gadwall were long my biggest challenge in poor light - until a more observant soul pointed out that gadwall have boobs and pintails don't.  IE: the gadwall look chestier before tapering into their necks than pins.

Rick,

I’ve found that if someone says they never mid-ID a duck in flight once in awhile (especially in poor light) either isn’t telling the truth, or doesn’t shoot many ducks. Or both.

I agree with you that a hen pintail, away from a flock, is the toughest ID to get right. Especially when you have plenty of gadwalls and widgeon around. I was told by our regional game warden that if hen pintails where as easy to ID as the drakes are, they would ban shooting them. Interesting enough, the duck that needs the most protection is the one that’s the hardest to consistently ID correctly.

KerryLuft

It's also amazing how ducks can change species from the time you shoot them until they wind up in your hand.  Just this year, a predawn teal turned into a bufflehead.  Must have been something in the water ...

charlo slim
1 hour ago, KerryLuft said:

It's also amazing how ducks can change species from the time you shoot them until they wind up in your hand.  Just this year, a predawn teal turned into a bufflehead.  Must have been something in the water ...

Yep, and those sneaky darn greenheads will occasionally undergo gender reassignment between the shot and the retrieve. Often on flat light days; spitting snow also can aid in the process.  Fifth bird from the right 😯.

IMG_1048.PNG

Rick Hall
On 1/1/2018 at 9:13 AM, mccuha said:

I’ve been hunting waterfowl for a few years longer than you and have hunted 3 of the 4 flyways and have not made a mistake yet.

Damn, but you must be old. 

(And the last time I proved my old guide self wrong on ID was this morning.)

mccuha
16 minutes ago, Rick Hall said:

Damn, but you must be old. 

(And the last time I proved my old guide self wrong on ID was this morning.)

I am not saying I’m a great duck Ider.  If I hunted a lot especially in places like la where there is about every species in the country. It would be difficult. Even in ms on my lease there is not a lot of different species I incounter.  Especially out west in Jan about all I see are mallards with the occasional pintail. 

And yeah. I feel old   Been duck hunting since the late 70’s.  At home woodies, blacks and mallards are about it. And not a lot of them

Treerooster

Some Teal "eye candy" from a few years ago. Or if you're like me...something to drool over. :)

The one with the bling is a drake and you don't need the band to tell you that.

P9110045.JPG

Rick Hall
19 hours ago, mccuha said:

And yeah. I feel old.  Been duck hunting since the late 70’s.

Fwiw, by the late 70s, I was probably seeing more open season sunrises than not on the water - followed by a couple or three hours in the grouse woods.  Been absolutely blessed in that regard.

Rick Hall
20 hours ago, Treerooster said:

The one with the bling is a drake and you don't need the band to tell you that.

P9110045.JPG

And the other two one can see the speculums and greater secondary coverts of being hens.  We shot a drake this morning that was still sporting eclipse head plumage.

brushbuster
On 12/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Tim Frazier said:

I have developed a liking for teal over the years, but there aren't many shot around here.  That actually could be a false statement but more correctly "I don't shoot many around here"  I have found I am more likely to shoot them in PA where the season comes in 2 weeks earlier but I'm not convinced Western PA is a destination for teal shooting.

My brother-in-law was in North Dakota earlier than usual this year and spoke of all the teal, but he goes after big ducks and was cursing the good weather.

What are the good teal hunting destinations?  I believe one board member used to travel to Louisiana every winter to shoot teal and I know Rick Hall has guided/hunted teal for many years there.  Are there other early season teal hot spots?  I know they are weather sensitive so does that eliminate northern states due to variations in fall weather?

Just trying to learn a little more.  Thanks

Not sure how far you are from Western PA but I grew up on the Mercer/Crawford county line and spent quite a bit of time hunting ducks and geese in Hartstown swamp/ pump house pond area and Geneva and all kinds of pocket water in between.  I used to kill teal along with woodies pretty regularly in the early split.

Tim Frazier
On 1/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, brushbuster said:

Not sure how far you are from Western PA but I grew up on the Mercer/Crawford county line and spent quite a bit of time hunting ducks and geese in Hartstown swamp/ pump house pond area and Geneva and all kinds of pocket water in between.  I used to kill teal along with woodies pretty regularly in the early split.

Yep, that's where I've shoot almost all of the teal I've taken over the last 20 years.  I've had some really good teal days but mostly woodies.  Most likely it will continue to be where I see most of the teal I do each season.  As I'm sure you know it can be crazy good in that area if you get in the right spot.