Sign in to follow this  
CptSydor

Keeping on weight

Harry

2yo and not even mature yet, pushing chest deep snow for up to 2hours-OR MORE-a day in sub F, and he is losing weight. Imagine that....

DocE
23 hours ago, Chukarman said:

As usual, Ray is spot on. Feed your dog a fat rich diet... they metabolize fat before any carbs - forget human diets, they do not apply. Feed a 20/30 kible and pour animal fat over it. Let the dog eat as much as he wants. Keep running him.

Don't you mean 30/20 ?

DocE
11 hours ago, Dave Quindt said:

I was thinking the exact same thing; 3.5 cups is not that much food for a working dog.  Another cup would increase caloric intake by nearly 25%.  I'd also think about feeding 2x day (if not doing so already) on non-working days. 

There are lots of other potential solutions; probiotics to improve digestion, topping current food with corn oil to increase calories, adding fiber, etc.  All have a place, but just increasing food intake is the easiest place to start.  I'd be curious about the food brand being fed.

JMO,

Dave

Corn oil is very PRO-inflammatory, thus why I recommended Coconut Oil.

gunut

wait a minute ....Ill ask my wife how she does it.....

CptSydor
2 hours ago, Harry said:

2yo and not even mature yet, pushing chest deep snow for up to 2hours-OR MORE-a day in sub F, and he is losing weight. Imagine that....

I'll be more accurate. He's not pushing chest deep snow every day, 2+ hours, hence the ranges and he's been loosing weight before this, it's amplified now.

During a 7 day week. He'll get -2  days that are 2 x 30 minute on leash walks. 4-5 days that are 30 minute on leash walks, 1-2 hours off leash in variable conditions that could be chest deep powder or pretty easy running (relatively). And 2 days that are 2-3 hours that are more intense. And the snow is champagne powder, not the east coast crap.

He gets rest, he's not doing anything super abnormal compared to what most people do with their 2 year old working dogs from what I can tell.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, his problem isn't the effort, it's the fact that his digestive system seems to hate high fat and/or protein diets, which is what most canines thrive on. He's been doing lots of activity (increased appropriately) from when I got him and never had the issue, including last winter, where he was on a better food.

Harry

That changes things. If it continues and the Dog is eating what should be adequate, then I would have the Vet do a blood workup along with endocrine testing if he/she thinks it necessary.