• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
RookieEP

Wing works vest report

RookieEP

I was finally able to use my ww vest on my trip to KS.  My vest has the largest game bag.   Im really impressed with this vest.  Every feature is so well thought out.  From the ecollar locations to the mesh shoulder regions.  No gun mount issues at all. Weight distribution is perfect once you fill the water bottles to balance out shells. A few of my favorite features-  

The cell phone carrier, phone easy access and keeps your phone dirt/dust free.  

The shell pockets nice and deep with a long cover for when action gets fast you fold the cover inside of the pocket for fast access.  

The material is heavy duty and very well built/sewn together- with my current hunting time frame I dont see it ever wearing out.  

Only cons which are slight-

1 my version is overkill for smaller covers.  My version is for moderate to long hunts.  

2 On the day it was close to 70 was getting some nipple chafing action i only had one light long sleeve shirt on.  The issue was minor but annoying.  I need to adjust and modify the chest strap to see if a more comfortable position will remedy the issue.  With 2 light shirts no chafing occurs.  Or heavier clothing once the temp finally drops no issue as well.

While pricey you do get what you pay for.  Besides being a kick ass vest its made in the good ole USA.  Thought and planned out by bird hunters

Almost forgot.  Last negative the owners are hunters.  So if you dont plan well good luck getting a vest during bird season.  The vests are not massed produced in regards to small med large.  Vests are made on a small scale. One needs to take their measurements as the vests are customized to your skinny or fat ....

BIRDY

I enjoy mine as well. One huge positive, for me, is that I can carry lots of water comfortably.  

JJT

Love mine too! 4th season on mine. After this season will have hiked over 500 miles in it. My only problem with it is some blood on it from killing birds;)

Up North

The way I carry my gun the adjuster straps going to the shoulder straps rub the gun. I needed to duck tape them up so I didn’t have to listen to the noise, and damage the gun. Other than that I have ave been happy with the vest.

SaltCityJeff

WW has been my one and only vest that I have used extensively. I have a Primos turkey vest I used to wear around - but after the encouragement and counsel of 'Hunski' and his experience I went for it out of the gate. I have had it now for almost 4 seasons and here is what I know. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and my hunts aren't short they average 4-12 miles per hunt - so some negative things and opinions get exacerbated by distance, sweat, and fatigue. 

Overall I don't think there is a vest that compares in quality and overall comfort that I have seen around me, but even that comment is extremely subjective to the user. 

Pro's

- Not just American made - they're headquartered in Idaho - HELLO! :D 

- Quality 

- Construction

- Storage

- Design

- Options to carry shotgun using the shell pockets or game bag

- Weight moved to hips and supported by a backpacking style belt

- Accessories to further what you can carry on these vests

Con's

- Those of us men with 'almost A cups' or 'barely B cups' can and will get nipple chafe on longer hunts with thinner shirts and sweat. Women may find the strap a pain and difficult, but I have seen some using it, so they do make it work!

- Storage, for those like me who try to always plan for the emergency - you can over-pack this thing and it can/will get heavy. 

- Accessories - keeps adding more weight to your shoulders and hips if you go crazy.

- Picks up every twig, branch, and leaf you brush up against. I vacuum mine out regularly.

- Sometimes you forget which pocket your spare batteries and keys were in and have to search for them! :P

Chukarman

I love mine. Had it since Bob began making them.

I have been begging Bob for years to make a simpler "Dove & Quail" model for shorter jaunts. Please help me convince him...

Hub

In regards to chafing, pick up a roll of 3M Transpore tape.  I call it nipple tape and you won't catch me hunting without it.  A 3/4 inch square is all you need.  You could shower with it on.  It will hold indefinitely.  Taking it off is an adventure though...

SaltCityJeff
4 hours ago, Hub said:

In regards to chafing, pick up a roll of 3M Transpore tape.  I call it nipple tape and you won't catch me hunting without it.  A 3/4 inch square is all you need.  You could shower with it on.  It will hold indefinitely.  Taking it off is an adventure though...

Oh man, I know 3M adhesives very well - that is just crazy talk right there! xD

SaltCityJeff
4 hours ago, Hub said:

In all fairness to this vest - I have only ever experienced nipple chafe from this vest once and it was a two day adventure with over 18 miles and 7500+ vertical feet of ascent. 

Hub

5 hours ago, SaltCityJeff said:

Oh man, I know 3M adhesives very well - that is just crazy talk right there! xD

5 hours ago, SaltCityJeff said:

In all fairness to this vest - I have only ever experienced nipple chafe from this vest once and it was a two day adventure with over 18 miles and 7500+ vertical feet of ascent. 

Transpore tape is actuallly a medical tape.  It's made for prolonged skin contact.  I first started using it after talking to some ultramarathon folks about how to stack mileage without bleeding.  My last trip to the Dakota's I rung up 61 miles in 5 days hunting (3 full day hunts and two half days for travel).  During my October Grouse hunt I rung up 70 miles in 7 days and we were rained out a few afternoons.  One day I had an 18.5 mile trek.  I kill birds with boot leather (and nipple tape).  :) 

versdog

I bought my WW vest when Bob first started production. I have hunted and dog trained allot with it. Still holding up fantastic. 

bill
On 12/15/2017 at 11:39 AM, RookieEP said:

I was finally able to use my ww vest on my trip to KS.  My vest has the largest game bag.   Im really impressed with this vest.  Every feature is so well thought out.  From the ecollar locations to the mesh shoulder regions.  No gun mount issues at all. Weight distribution is perfect once you fill the water bottles to balance out shells. A few of my favorite features-  

The cell phone carrier, phone easy access and keeps your phone dirt/dust free.  

The shell pockets nice and deep with a long cover for when action gets fast you fold the cover inside of the pocket for fast access.  

The material is heavy duty and very well built/sewn together- with my current hunting time frame I dont see it ever wearing out.  

Only cons which are slight-

1 my version is overkill for smaller covers.  My version is for moderate to long hunts.  

2 On the day it was close to 70 was getting some nipple chafing action i only had one light long sleeve shirt on.  The issue was minor but annoying.  I need to adjust and modify the chest strap to see if a more comfortable position will remedy the issue.  With 2 light shirts no chafing occurs.  Or heavier clothing once the temp finally drops no issue as well.

While pricey you do get what you pay for.  Besides being a kick ass vest its made in the good ole USA.  Thought and planned out by bird hunters

Almost forgot.  Last negative the owners are hunters.  So if you dont plan well good luck getting a vest during bird season.  The vests are not massed produced in regards to small med large.  Vests are made on a small scale. One needs to take their measurements as the vests are customized to your skinny or fat ....

do they have a webb site would like to look at them

mccuha

Yes just type in wing works

Brad Eden
24 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Yes just type in wing works

Or wait until their Ad comes up on the UJ Homepage and click it.

or click here: WW Website

mccuha
9 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Or wait until their Ad comes up on the UJ Homepage and click it.

or click here: WW Website

I was going to say that but couldn’t remember if I’d seen it in a while