• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Quailtail

Ideas for catching quail from holding pen?

Quailtail

Looking for ideas on how to catch quail from a stand up holding pen other than chasing them with a dip net.  My club has birds for members use in a large open pen but it is a pain to try and catch a few birds to take to the field for training.  I also think chasing the birds are causing them to hurt themselves by bumping into the walls and roof.

Need a small trap inside the big pen.  Any  ideas or perhaps you have seen a catching set up?

NECarson

Can you reach to the top and reach down inside it? 

Quailtail

No, they are in a  16 x 20 pen that you walk into just like a big room.  They have a door to go outside into a flight pen.  You can close the door off to the flight pen to keep them contained.  Presently you just have to chase them around and try to net them on the floor with the dip net.

Brad Eden

Really no idea but maybe a small call back pen. I have a wire mesh one that's maybe 2-3 feet long by 1.5 wide by maybe a foot deep. It has a latched door on top to put a quail or two inside, and a chute in one end like in a lobster trap. The bird or birds inside call and others climb through chute and are trapped inside. I use it when I get 1/2 dozen or so quail for puppy training, for when they get loose. Problem is you would still need to get a quail inside to entice others to join it, or maybe put just feed inside and some would climb in to eat. 

Hal Standish
On 12/17/2017 at 12:39 PM, Quailtail said:

No, they are in a  16 x 20 pen that you walk into just like a big room.  They have a door to go outside into a flight pen.  You can close the door off to the flight pen to keep them contained.  Presently you just have to chase them around and try to net them on the floor with the dip net.

Feed and water in the middle of pen?  This important..  I would remove water when catching birds up.  You have 16' X 20' pen along one of the 16' sides build a catch box with 2 sections in it Dimensions of the entire box 16" x 36" allow for a guillotine divider door in the middle and front end. open end front end drive slowly birds will train some will avoid not to worry

Not sure how many birds you look at catching up at a time. Once you have the require numbers pickup the entire box place on elevated surface in side the holding pen and then remove quail. Place in either carry bags or boxes. Dip nets and quail are ridiculous.

NW River Mac

It doesn't sound like a good set up as birds can get wasted by folk trying to catch them.  I would suggest that you build a small portable recall pen and catch one bird the day before you are planning to run your dog and place it in the recall pen.  Then leave it there overnight with food and water.  You should be able to catch a couple of them when your bird calls.  

dogrunner

Why not catch them at night?

Jere

The door to the flight pen may be the key to a solution. 

Make a tube from fine mesh (1/4" or even smaller) wire screening.  The diameter should be about 4" to 6" I'd guess - large enough that the birds can get into it easily but not so large that they easily turn around.  Make it long enough to hold several birds - as many as you want to use at a time.  If we're talking more than 6 or 8 that may be too long to handle easily and you may have to use it more than once.  Make a trap door for each end of this tunnel, hinge each of them on the same side.  Arrange to be able to secure them closed (string, rubber bands cut from tire tubes, wire hooks,  ...).  Modify the door to the flight pen so, when open it is just a hole you can pass this tunnel through.  To catch birds: close one end of the tunnel.  Put the tunnel into and through the hole to the flight pen.  Herd birds into the tunnel.  Close the near end of the tunnel and withdraw the tunnel and the birds stuck in it from the entrance to the flight pen. 

Jere

3crosses

Maybe a small cast net?

Locher

my club has a pen that sounds similar.  we have an 8' wide x 24' long flight pen connected to a 8' x 8' shelter area.  There's a door on the shelter plus a small trap door at floor level.  We usually try to herd a bunch of birds in the shelter area and close the door.  We put a small box with a guillotine type door at the trap door.  Walk into the shelter area (closing the door behind).  Herd a bunch of birds into the small box and drop the guillotine door.  Works slick.  Can round up 10 - 15 birds in 2 minutes and you don't have to touch them.  Just pick up the box and go.

Huntschool

An external catch box works great.  You build the box outside the pen (hoping you have a covered back section on the pen) and allow the birds free access to this area.  The top of the catch box is covered with overlapping inner tube.  You run birds into the catch box and close the door.  Then go outside the pen and reach through the split inner tubes and catch what you need.

If you need further explanation you can email me.  We raised over 8000 quail per year for my college programs and this is the easiest way to gather them up.