FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
topdog1961

Your favorite piece of meat processing equipment

topdog1961

Do you have one favorite piece of meat processing equipment you'd like to share with us?  Perhaps it has sentimental value like mine, or is just so outstanding that you'd like to shout it out.  Mine is an old scale that came from a beloved nephew, who' was almost my age and I grew up hunting and fishing with. We were more like brothers. He used it for years to properly proportion the venison and added pork when he made brats and sausage. He taught me to make brats and for the last few years of his life, after he couldn't hunt anymore, we made brats together from my deer. He fought brain cancer for 8 years and died 5 years ago. Before he passed, he gave it to me along with his Gamder Mountain sausage press. It's a Columbia baby scale from the turn of the century. Apparently they sold a bunch of them because they are online from eBay and Etsy for $30-100 depending on condition. This one appears far better than those online and works like new. The patent date is reported to be 1907. According to the stamp on the side it was bought from H. Pfeiffer & Sons in Fort Wayne IN. Apparently they were a general store. I found financial statements online of Fort Wayne schools buying hardware items from them in 1915. I'll be making more brats this week, and thinking of Matt...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rockdoc

Let’s see, meat processing equipment. Hmmm… I have equipment that’ll process steaks, hamburger, bacon, chicken, turkey, fish… That’d have to be my jaws and teeth, useful for tenderizing the meat and tasting it to make sure it tastes good before I pass it on down to my stomach and intestinal tract for further processing. Oh and let’s not forget waste disposal. Yup, I’m my own favorite piece of meat processing equipment!

Steve

Brad Eden

I think I have the same scale. We use it as decoration since I have another newer one. I just looked but I think JoAnn packed it away to make room for all the Christmas crap all over the house right now.

IMG_0547.JPG

No sentimental value but my favorite is probably this electric grinder I got last year. Along with friends deer it ground burger for 5 deer this past fall.

topdog1961

That looks like one serious grinder, Brad. 

topdog1961
21 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

Let’s see, meat processing equipment. Hmmm… I have equipment that’ll process steaks, hamburger, bacon, chicken, turkey, fish… That’d have to be my jaws and teeth, useful for tenderizing the meat and tasting it to make sure it tastes good before I pass it on down to my stomach and intestinal tract for further processing. Oh and let’s not forget waste disposal. Yup, I’m my own favorite piece of meat processing equipment!

Steve

Thank you for not posting pics of your meat processing equipment. Especially the later parts. 

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

That looks like one serious grinder, Brad. 

Its a mid-range Cabelas, not commercial grade. Coupla hundred bucks on sale from what I remember. Also the vacuum bag sealer machine I bought at the same time has made self-processing game a whole lot easier and better.

TonyS

Vacuum sealers are awesome.  I bought mine for fish and game but now use it when I buy in bulk.  Nothing like a piece of meat you put in the freezer 5 months ago tasting fresh as when it was cut.

topdog1961
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I think I have the same scale. We use it as decoration since I have another newer one. I just looked but I think JoAnn packed it away to make room for all the Christmas crap all over the house right now.

IMG_0547.JPG

No sentimental value but my favorite is probably this electric grinder I got last year. Along with friends deer it ground burger for 5 deer this past fall.

My wife too has elevated Matt's scale to the status of decoration. I have to take it off the mantle to use it. 

It it looks like you only grind the good stuff. My venison grind typically includes more fat. Especially the doe I took Saturday night, she was storing up for a long winter. 

Below is my cheap grinder. Like most of my equipment, it's smaller than most everyone else's, but I'm happy with the way it performs. 

image.jpeg

Brad Eden
1 minute ago, topdog1961 said:

It it looks like you only grind the good stuff. My venison grind typically includes more fat. Especially the doe I took Saturday night, she was storing up for a long winter. 

I think that was a grind of my 8 pt bow buck where I had added some ground pork, but not a lot. I did half straight burger and half deer/pork grind for the burger scraps with Spike rifle buck. I really like a little fat back or ground pork added. Made another "wicked good" meatloaf a couple days ago with that blend.

jeff88

Does our cabinet smoker count?  9_9  Processes items into something really tasty!

browndrake

I love my grinder couldn't process without it. However my boning and butcher knives do most of the work when processing game. 

rideold

I couldn't do without my Forschner semi-stiff boning knife!

polecat

I found one also.

dogs 004.JPG

Clueless1

It would have to be the electric grinder my Dad gave a me about 4 years ago.  He lucked into a Cabela's grinder free and already had a much larger grinder.  Prior to that I was doing 3-4 deer a year grinding by hand.  Would get the kids involved when I got too tired:)  Electric is wonderful!

OldSarge

I have a bunch of stainless steel pans and large bowls that make processing much cleaner and easier than trying to clean the plastic Tupperware stuff I used before. Favorite has to be my block of knives, mostly rapala filet and Chicago cutlery. They get a lot of mileage, oh yeah, and my work sharp knife sharpener.