• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
PointingMutt

Ice Auger, Lithium vs Propane

PointingMutt

Looking for recommendations on either a Strikemaster lithium or propane auger. Both 8 inch.  Leaning Strikemaster but have some concerns about how well the batteries actually hold up in the cold and deep ice, will be fishing in Northern WI.  

sprocket

Check over at IceShanty.com

Auger discussions are worse than phez/grouse comparisons here...

Up North

we have the ION auger. We keep the battery in a small soft sided cooler to keep it warm in between uses. Works for us any way.

oldbird

I think Strikemaster is giving away a spare battery when you purchase now.

UplandHntr

I use a Milwaukee 18v Fuel Brushless cordless drill with the Clam adapter and have a 6,7 and 8" Lazer auger.  Cant be beat. I havent used my Jiffy gas auger in 3 years. I also cant remember the last time I had to switch to a second battery. Something to consider... also in N WI

PointingMutt
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

I use a Milwaukee 18v Fuel Brushless cordless drill with the Clam adapter and have a 6,7 and 8" Lazer auger.  Cant be beat. I havent used my Jiffy gas auger in 3 years. I also cant remember the last time I had to switch to a second battery. Something to consider... also in N WI

How does this work with the 8" auger?  I've heard good things with 6" augers, but not as much with the 8".

NW River Mac

We used one last year.  I'm not sure what brand unit but it is green.  My brother was able to consistently drill 22+ holes on a single charge with that unit.  20" thick ice, 8 inch auger.  His buddy has the same thing but with a ten inch auger and they were only getting 16 holes out of a charge.

UplandHntr
3 hours ago, PointingMutt said:

How does this work with the 8" auger?  I've heard good things with 6" augers, but not as much with the 8".

Naturally less holes with the 8 than the 6 but it still doesnt get bogged down. If Im just in the ice shack I will drill 8’s and if Im putting out tip ups with more guys I will switch to 7”. 7 seems to be the sweet spot. If youve never tried an 18v Milw drill those dang things will twist your wrist if you arent really holding on to it. I honestly dont know how it compares to the dedicated battery ice drills. Happy with my set up though

dogrunner

Was at Cabelas last night I did not realize some of these were over $500, I'm still cranking my lazer by hand or using a spud, not sure how much longer that will last. I did but a drill conversion for my old Mora but it didn't start a hole very good seemed to wobble a lot. 

aje4

It depends on how you fish.  For me, we “run and gun” when we ice fish so a lithium won’t work as you only get about 40 holes from a battery.  We will drill several hundred holes looking for schools of fish when we go out.  If we are tip up fishing or pan fishing we use a friends Ion and it does fine.....otherwise, propane or gas.....

PointingMutt
On 12/19/2017 at 2:31 PM, UplandHntr said:

Ended up getting this drill with a Kdrill Auger.  Works really well.  Thanks for the ideas.