Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

kinetic recovery rope

erik meade

Need to get my dad a Kinetic recovery rope.  This will go with his 2004 Tundra (the older smaller Tundra.)

Anybody have a suggestion for brand and size?

25/06

2.25"-2.5" if not pulling out vehicles bigger than a pickup.

I would not get one shorter than 15' I have a 20' and like it

I would buy the one with the metal inserts on the loops in case you need to use it as a tow strap in a pinch. (not the best as they drag easy)

Buy 2 clevises with rope as well as a small section of 3/8" chain with one hook on it and a thru bolt.

This is the most dangerous way to pull out a vehicle, if the person being towed out does not know what they are doing.

I have never seen a brand on them as they are usually braided local. Best ropes come from a crane supply stores.

I look for the ones that are naturally a bit stiff new. The one I have now is cotton/nylon blend.

erik meade

2.5" ? ? ? 

We must be talking about different things. I'm talking about the stretchy rope you use to jerk stuck trucks and tractors out with.  Like Bubba Rope or DitchPig, or Viking rope or KingCord or any number of other brands.

a 2" size of those are what they use for semi trucks.  Jeeps use 3/4" (a bit small). To 1 1/4" (overkill)

also the 2" ones are like $800. And won't fit nice under the back truck seat.

http://mibro.com/kingcordrr/

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bubba-Rope-Tow-Ropes/1579261.uts?

JoeFroESS

Attached is a screenshot of the Kinetic Recovery Rope that I bought from Amazon.  The ASR rope was cheaper than a Bubba rope and has been tremendous.  I used 7/8" 28,600 pound.  30 feet has worked for me - enough to get extracting vehicle in position and give it some running room.  I would even consider going longer. 

If you are pulling out jeeps, etc they are lighter and you could go with a lighter rope.  I have a full size Ram 1500.  You may want to even go up 1" diameter or more if your truck is on the heavy side.  Check the ASR offload website and they will give you vehicle weight maximums for each size of rope.

The Kinetic Recovery rope has been my most used piece of recovery gear.  I have used it to save other full size trucks buried to the axles in sand other vehicles out of snowbanks.  Saved me in South Dakota where I thought I could bust through a snow drift on an un-maintained road and ended up with my wheels not touching.  I also jerked out a full-size f150 stuck to the axles at the end of a boat ramp.  Never wheel alone.

Make sure to read about how to use it properly - this is not a tow strap, but one where the extracting vehicle builds up momentum and stretches the rope like a giant bungee cord.  I think it is actually more gentle than a tow strap and definitely works a lot better.  Safety is a huge concern.  If the rope breaks or dislodges something from the truck (e.g. hitch, tow ball, number) someone can get killed.  Never attach to an unsecure point like a tow ball.  I use attachment points designed for the strap, bolted into the vehicle frame and are rated for the load of the rope.  There are other things to do like put a blanket over the bubba rope in case it breaks.  Drivers and bystanders can be killed if something goes wrong.  I am not an expert - so make sure to research and learn about safe ways to extract vehicles - or find an expert.

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 9.43.09 AM.png

Tim Frazier

Is that what they call them now?  I've had the same "yank strap" for 25 years and couldn't do without it.  Fun to feel the bungi effect and it really works.  Mine is flat though

yank.png

erik meade

The ropes are a whole different category than the strap.  My dad has a strap,  but we used a friend's rope not long ago and now he wants a rope.  Reading online it looks like the straps will stretch about 8 -10%  while the rope stretches 35% +  

This guy is long winded, but he lays out the differences between the strap and the rope. 

Tim Frazier

Wow...cool

Chukarman

Look at ARB -- they offer a full line of recovery gear.

It is also called a "snatch 'em strap". a good investment, but they don't last long if used.

25/06
On 12/20/2017 at 7:48 AM, erik meade said:

2.5" ? ? ? 

We must be talking about different things. I'm talking about the stretchy rope you use to jerk stuck trucks and tractors out with.  Like Bubba Rope or DitchPig, or Viking rope or KingCord or any number of other brands.

a 2" size of those are what they use for semi trucks.  Jeeps use 3/4" (a bit small). To 1 1/4" (overkil)

My apologies! I thought I knew what you were asking when I tried to answer but I never heard the term Kinetic energy rope. I learn something new every day thanks for the link!

:D I think  one person talking diameter and one person talking Circumference.!

We do have a 6" Diameter rope at our shop for when things go very wrong!

We usually buy the twisted rope. They stretch a bunch and are give a fairly gently tug. The rope on the video looks like it may even stretch more than the twisted ropes.

I have only used the twisted ropes. We always have one in the work truck. It in not unusual to pull out fairly large equipment with them on construction sites.

I have always bought the ones with reinforced eyes. The video talks about that being not a good Idea. It seems like it would be safer not to have metal reinforced eyes but we pull out some equipment or trucks that have pretty sharp places to hook up. seems like it would be easy to cut rope.

The price of $150+ for the size rope I have seem pretty High as a twisted type ropes cost about $60, But the Kinetic rope may be worth the money.

I second the video guys caution on straps, If they snap they REALLY snap! Also some straps do not Stretch at all especially if it is a OHSA rated lifting strap.

Merry Christmas!

erik meade

6" rope.  wow!  Must have to eat your Wheaties before handling that.

I saw this video where the Indiana Highway department switched to Bubba Rope.  they compare a 2" one to a chain towards the end of the video.  I don't think the video really shows the difference in feel between the pulls.

I was up at the local Napa today and they had a  2" rope sitting on the floor. (don't remember the brand, but whatever kinetic rope they sell there.) It was broken and being returned under warranty.  That must have been some kind of stuck to break a 110,000 breaking strength rope.