FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Bell or stealth mode?

Tom Avent

I have heard cover dog trialers say that birds will hold better for dogs with bells or beepers because the noise and commotion tends to get them to sit more. I have been running my pointer in stealth mode(no bell or beeper, just the Alpha to keep track). Considering putting the bell back on. Any opinions?

dogrunner

They should know they make plenty of noise. :D

Jakeismydog2

I don't have a direct answer for you. I use a location beeper that is only on when you push the button to locate the dog. It has happened a few times where you can't see the dog and assume he is on point. So you push the button and there goes the pheasant, just like a release trap. 

Yukon1

I'll be curious about the responses to this as well. I've always hunted with bells, but at the end of October I started using Astros on my two setters. 

So far I haven't noticed any difference as to birds holding better or worse than before but admittedly, it hasn't been long enough to tell. 

OH Grouser

For grouse here in OH, I run an Astro along with a point only beeper threaded on the same collar. My thinking has always been that quiet is better, at least until you get a bird pointed. I've wondered about that question also, especially pertaining to Appalachian grouse. 

Roger

Larry Brown

Bells are nice if you need to keep track of your dog . . . until it goes on point.  Then you're looking for the sound of silence.

I'd rather run mine silent when I can, but I haven't observed that a beeper bothers them all that much--although I will turn off the beeper when the dog is on point and I've located him.

I was running a big pointer, mostly white, my first trip to the UP for grouse and woodcock, many moons ago.  It was late Sept and the ferns were still up--and particularly tall that year.  I think I came close to stumbling over Jake several times, looking for him on point.

I'm something of a luddite (still have an old, "dumb" flip phone) and I have no interest in an Astro, but I often wonder how we got along before beepers.  Of course part of the problem may have to do with the fact that my hearing was a lot better 40 years ago than it is now.

ccavacini
1 hour ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

I use a location beeper that is only on when you push the button to locate the dog. It has happened a few times where you can't see the dog and assume he is on point. So you push the button and there goes the pheasant, just like a release trap. 

Yes, this.  I also run my dog with a bell.  She's a small Brittany (23 LB's).  The bell helps me know where she is.  When I can't hear the bell, I use the locator.  The locator tells her to come back to me.  A whistle (or my voice) helps her locate me.

Gunsmoke
  • Tommy you're gonna listen to those coverdog guys :D trust me half of them have never even gone hunting. When I'm up north it really doesn't seem to matter but if I'm hunting covers that have had a decent amount of pressure trust me those birds hear bells and they're gone. Another example: I'm hunting with a Guy who really isn't sure of his dog and is afraid of coming disconnected with his dog so he's singing to him and yelling his name every 10seconds. I looked at him and said I'll meet you at the truck. He's like did I do something 😏 nope,just alerted every living thing on this mountain that were here. That would be why grouse hunting isn't a team sport. You a dog...perfect another person like being in a crowded stadium 

Curt

Over the past fifty years I've run them with bells, several varieties of beepers, and in the last several years just the Astro (nice & quiet), plus various combinations of all of them.  I honestly can't say that I've noticed any differences in the reaction of grouse to any of them.

gunsrus

I do use a bell , I'm deaf and like to know where the dog is . I do use an Alpha and it's great when the dog is out of range . I have always hunted with the bell . I did hunt with the beeper/locater for a while but eventually thought it was overkill when the Astro came about . I hunt with the Alpha and the mini and a Sunkhaze bell . I hated putting several collars on my dogs neck and am sure he appreciates minimal weight . JMHO

Don Steese

And the definitive answer is......nobody knows for sure!!!:P 

Coalman

Having a close working flushing dog we hunt stealth. By far our flushes this fall in range far out numbered our wild flushes.

Took a leap of faith with Belle this fall and took the Garmin off. She earned it.

Locher

I've always run bells.  I've never noticed a problem with them.  But I could see where birds would get educated in areas that get a lot of pressure.

FWIW...bells aren't just for locating.  You learn to read the bell to get an idea of what your dog is up to.   Especially a young dog.  If the bell stops, starts, stops, start and then you hear a bird blow out, you know the dog took out a bird.  You can't get that from GPS.  Or if a bird flushes and then the bell rings harder and faster, you know the dog went with the bird.  Or if all of a sudden the bell ringing picks up and goes in a straight line, your dog could be on a deer.  I've never been a fan of running silent in the woods. 

Wisconsin

Bell.

IMG_2154.JPG

Up North

Late season grouse hunting I have better luck in stealth mode.