FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Tom Avent

Bell or stealth mode?

terc

I use a bell with no electronics. I've tried to run Bella silent, there was no difference.

Dave

dogrunner
1 hour ago, RuffChaser said:

My setters and I prefer stealth. We are like Seal Team 6. In and out and no sign we were there if it weren't for the dead bodies.

Ok Greybeard. 😆

GraceinVA
1 hour ago, Hub said:

The only downside of the alpha for grouse is that it makes it hard to take a buddy out and pinch birds effectively.  You are forced to call out points and give directions because they can't just home in on a beeper

That and the delay for an Alpha/Astro. My dog has to be standing still for nearly 8 seconds before my Astro registers she is on point, while my beeper is only 3 seconds. I realize that's not a huge difference, but with wary grouse it could make or break a shooting opportunity.

I ditched the bell this year because my dog couldn't hear me (or was she just not listening?). Now when I give a recal command or a "hup" to change directions, she does so very well. I liked the bell, but after 3 days of hunting hard I went to sleeping with it still ringing in my ears. I can only imagine whats going on in the dogs.

Hub
4 minutes ago, GraceinVA said:

That and the delay for an Alpha/Astro. My dog has to be standing still for nearly 8 seconds before my Astro registers she is on point, while my beeper is only 3 seconds. I realize that's not a huge difference, but with wary grouse it could make or break a shooting opportunity.

I ditched the bell this year because my dog couldn't hear me (or was she just not listening?). Now when I give a recal command or a "hup" to change directions, she does so very well. I liked the bell, but after 3 days of hunting hard I went to sleeping with it still ringing in my ears. I can only imagine whats going on in the dogs.

I think the refresh rate on the alpha is 2 seconds.  It's very similar to my old tritronics beeper.  The more it refreshes the lower the battery life, but I get a full day even in bad weather.

Hub
28 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Ok Greybeard. 😆

My Grandmother was fond of listening to other peoples stories and then saying with a smile, 'The first bullshitter doesn't stand a chance'.  

MDash2

Stealth with the GPS collar. Couldn't say if bell/no bell influences bird (grouse) behavior as there are many factors at play. 

RuffChaser
6 minutes ago, Hub said:

My Grandmother was fond of listening to other peoples stories and then saying with a smile, 'The first bullshitter doesn't stand a chance'.  

There's BSing and then there's joking around. Apparently you decided you knew which one it was. You were wrong by the way.

Hub
2 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

There's BSing and then there's joking around. Apparently you decided you knew which one it was. You were wrong by the way.

I don't think anyone who has read your style of self deprecating humor and description of your shooting prowess over the years would honestly think you were comparing yourself to Seal Team Six.  I knew you were kidding and wasn't taking a shot at you.  My quote was more of a call back to the GreyBeard reference.  I can't recall if you were here for him or not, but basically he was an internet persona of World Most Interesting Man meets upland hunting guy.  I used to really get a kick out of people here having legitimate conversations with him about what 25 year old model he should date, or some other far fetched situation he would make up.  Watching folks eat it by the spoonful was pretty funny.

ThreeDogs

Stealth

Felix

I was a bell guy. I had Brits that generally were within 50 yards.  My present Brittany is more of a 100 yard + dog from field trial lines and my hearing is not good. So, I went to the Astro. I love the stealth but honestly wish I didn't need the electronics.

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, Hub said:

I don't think anyone who has read your style of self deprecating humor and description of your shooting prowess over the years would honestly think you were comparing yourself to Seal Team Six.  I knew you were kidding and wasn't taking a shot at you.  My quote was more of a call back to the GreyBeard reference.  I can't recall if you were here for him or not, but basically he was an internet persona of World Most Interesting Man meets upland hunting guy.  I used to really get a kick out of people here having legitimate conversations with him about what 25 year old model he should date, or some other far fetched situation he would make up.  Watching folks eat it by the spoonful was pretty funny.

I wasn't pissed. I knew you of all people would know I was kidding. I guess it didn't really come out the way I intended. I probably should have written that a little differently. I like your Grandma's line BTW. To elaborate I run a TEK 2.0 and no bells. I am used to them now after hunting with others that use them bu they drove me freakin' crazy when I first tried them. I bought a beeper within days of trying a bell. I don't run stealth due to the birds I do it more for myself. I like things to be as quiet as possible when I'm out. I've hunted with guys that sing and hack on their dogs all the time and it's annoying to me. 

I vaguely remember greybeard but can't remember any specific posts of his.

tut

I have bells and a beeper and Astro.  Most of the time I run just the beeper.  Its a Lovetts Low Tone and I actually like the sound.  I've had a couple of other beepers and they seem too shrill/harsh whatever you call it.  I have a couple of nice bells, and in a pinch I'd run them, but I think long term they hurt a dogs ears because frankly they are loud all the time.  Also, since the beeps are about 2 seconds apart, I know I can call to Sophie in between beeps and she can hear me.  That doesn't work with a bell.  Regarding birds being spooked, I don't know if I have seen much difference between any of them.  Well, perhaps Roosters are different, but I don't hunt them much anyway. 

Jack L

Just my view, but if the cover is high and thick enough the bird will hold and the bell will have no impact, but you'll know where your dog is. 

If the cover is short you don't need a bell to see the dog.

If the cover is too sparse it doesn't matter because the bird won't hold anyway.

That being said; some days you like a nut, some days you  don't.

RuffChaser

I should add that one thing I don't like about my GPS is that it can be hard to find the dog sometimes so you are trying to look at a handheld, walking through the woods, anticipate a flush, etc. I have repeatedly asked SportDog to add an optional beeper to the TEK system. I would use that but only in the early season or occasional in really thick cover when I can't find the dog. If there was a better way to be led to the dog on point using the GPS I wouldn't want the beeper. The TEK has a voice guidance system. I tried a little when I first got it but didn't like it. I should try it again and see if it helps.

Craig Doherty

I have only one thing to add -- it's the dogs that make a difference -- the great ones have the birds pinned . . . bell, beeper, or whatever.  The not so great ones, not so much.