Tom Avent

Bell or stealth mode?

Allen McCallie

I add a vote for satellite and stealth, with a beeper on board just for backup. I feel like I hear and am aware of much more of "what's out there" with no beeps or bells going off.

As for bells and wolves, I have always thought the reverse; that the sound of bells meant potential dinner time.  I know in Alaska the big brown bears think that the sound of a screaming fly reel means "come and get it..."  And they do!

JCJ

Ditched the bell when the first “Tracker” electronics beeper came out in the early 1980’s and have used a beeper ever since.

If the noise actually spooks birds, which is debatable, I feel that number is more than made up by the number I get killed because I’m able to get to my dog on point faster due to the beeper.

The only reason I would add a gps is because I lose my hearing and can’t locate the direction the beeper is coming from when the dog is on point.

snapt

Bell for grouse cover, only because our grouse cover is cohabitated by Grizzly bears. Stealth mode for huns, chukar, sharpies.

doodlecrazy

My setter looks like an alien in the woods with 4 collars on:

1. Tick collar

2. Bell/ID collar

3. DT beeper set to point only that I can remotely turn on and off

4. Alpha

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I wouldn't hunt without all of them. I gather information from all three locating devices that the others can't provide, valuable information to me.

Fishnfowler

Stealth mode for me.  Whenever I'm out with someone hacking their dog or with a belled dog, my number of flushes fall. YMMV.  I really hate hunting with people who yell and whistle at their dogs.  Interestingly, I get the most flushes when I move really fast. 

quailguy
3 hours ago, snapt said:

Bell for grouse cover, only because our grouse cover is cohabitated by Grizzly bears. Stealth mode for huns, chukar, sharpies.

IMHO the target bird and the cover make a difference as to what "mode" is best.  When it comes to bobs I use a beeper and don't think it matters. It may even help hold them when it goes off in the "hawk screech" mode for a point.

For roosters silence is golden; GPS only and hand signals and or the "tone" button of the e collar.

For ruffed grouse I dunno; haven't shot enough. For woodcock I don't think it matters much what you use. 

YMMV

quailguy
3 hours ago, snapt said:

Bell for grouse cover, only because our grouse cover is cohabitated by Grizzly bears

Specifically for griz, I have had a number of bios tell me that the bears now are coming to the sound of a rifle shot, looking for the downed elk or mulie. I know one doesn't want to "surprise" a griz but I bet some of them will learn that a beeper means a dog. IMHO

snapt
27 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Specifically for griz, I have had a number of bios tell me that the bears now are coming to the sound of a rifle shot, looking for the downed elk or mulie. I know one doesn't want to "surprise" a griz but I bet some of them will learn that a beeper means a dog. IMHO

Thankfully the vast majority of the bears in these parts, black or brown, are mortified by dogs.

dogrunner
9 hours ago, quailguy said:

That’s been happening for a long time.   

x Bred Pointer

In the woods, I just can't imagine turning a dog loose without a bell. 

I don't use one in the open country like Kansas or the south but in the thick woods of the northeast I'd be lost without a bell. 

I just like the immediate feedback you get that a beeper or gps can't provide. 

I've been listening to bells for so long I can tell the difference between a point or a poop.

Tom Avent
15 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

I have only one thing to add -- it's the dogs that make a difference -- the great ones have the birds pinned . . . bell, beeper, or whatever.  The not so great ones, not so much.

Craig, that is a good point, but grouse cover and birds are not equal everywhere. I really do not want to keep bemoaning the state of grouse hunting in the Southern Appalachians, but you(and anyone else on the board) have an open invitation to come down and hunt with me anytime. These birds can be very hard on any dog, great or not. I may be too sensitive and be reading your comment the wrong way. However, I have hunted behind some of the dogs in your circle that are considered "great" and while impressive dogs, I don't feel they would have any different results than my dog in the local conditions. 

I was asking a sincere question to a group of experienced bird hunters due to frustrations encountered in the field. As usual, someone has to try and show their superiority while hiding behind a computer screen.  Once again, I am reminded why I quit frequenting this board. I just have to stop having a short memory and stay away. Thanks

Craig Doherty
9 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Craig, that is a good point, but grouse cover and birds are not equal everywhere. I really do not want to keep bemoaning the state of grouse hunting in the Southern Appalachians, but you(and anyone else on the board) have an open invitation to come down and hunt with me anytime. These birds can be very hard on any dog, great or not. I may be too sensitive and be reading your comment the wrong way. However, I have hunted behind some of the dogs in your circle that are considered "great" and while impressive dogs, I don't feel they would have any different results than my dog in the local conditions. 

I was asking a sincere question to a group of experienced bird hunters due to frustrations encountered in the field. As usual, someone has to try and show their superiority while hiding behind a computer screen.  Once again, I am reminded why I quit frequenting this board. I just have to stop having a short memory and stay away. Thanks

Tom, I actually spent a day in grouse hunting in Virginia last winter.  I don't envy you guys at all. We saw three birds and got one of them pointed.  Another ran down off the mountain long before we got in position.  I think the dearth of birds in the Southern Mountains is the major contributor to their difficulty.  It appears (from my reading and anecdotal accounts) that you have so few birds that you seem to be always coming into contact with mature, smart birds and that always makes it harder.

As far as your contact with my dogs, unless you were traveling under an alias, you've never seen any dog I own or consider great.

Gunsmoke

Play nice girls lord knows trial guys are a sensitive lot. Christ I took one to Maine one year with me who shall remain nameless with his champion. Trust me the lad was like a fish out of water. I literally had to tell him one time you gonna go over there and shoot that bird for that dog that's been standing there for 5 min? And I don't need to hear anyone's b/s about that comment it happened. Coverdogs that are run in trials trust me they're special animals and to the novice they truly never will under stand the differences in dogs and honestly I'm wore out trying to explain it to people. People need to except things in life like guess what I may live where I have no chance of ever developing a wildbird dog. FACE fact!!!!! Either move or send your dog somewhere where it can become one and even then it may just not have what it takes. Or play a different game! Or better yet be happy with what you have  and go on with life. 

Merry Christmas guys!!!!

forestdump

What?

Tom Avent
On 12/21/2017 at 7:32 PM, Craig Doherty said:

Tom, I actually spent a day in grouse hunting in Virginia last winter.  I don't envy you guys at all. We saw three birds and got one of them pointed.  Another ran down off the mountain long before we got in position.  I think the dearth of birds in the Southern Mountains is the major contributor to their difficulty.  It appears (from my reading and anecdotal accounts) that you have so few birds that you seem to be always coming into contact with mature, smart birds and that always makes it harder.

As far as your contact with my dogs, unless you were traveling under an alias, you've never seen any dog I own or consider great.

Craig, you of all people on the board was exactly who I was trying to get help from. Obviously, you spend more days in the woods chasing grouse than I do. Obviously, you know more about dogs and hunting grouse than most people. However, you chose to make an offhanded attempt at humor. Maybe you were not implying my dog can't handle grouse. Maybe I took it the wrong way. However, I have no idea what your intentions were when you wrote it. That is the problem with the internet.

Also, you are the same Craig that guides grouse hunters, are you not? You are also the same Craig that referred Bob Little to me for training and guiding services, are you not? Bob had my female pointer, who is out of Chasehill Little Bud and Richfield Rose for a month 2 years ago and I finished the month by hunting with him for several days. So, yes, I am familiar with many of the dogs that run in your circle because I have seen all of Bob's dogs and made it a point to follow the Maritime and NE Coverdog trials for a while.

Yes, I probably overreacted to your post. However, a little more thought might be in order before posting next time.