• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Field Grade

Here come the snowy owls

Millriver
On 12/22/2017 at 10:59 PM, drummer's stump said:

The goshawk is the real grouse killer. Even though they hunt grouse, I do love them, when I am working in the spring and early summer I like to watch pairs courting. Some of my co-workers don't find them as entertaining as I do. There is a very large female that hangs around my work camp, once I saw her fly off with a mature hare like it was nothing. If she hit you, you would know it. 

Had a goshawk in one of my sugar maples 2 hours ago when I got home. Very cool birds.

Larry Brown

A lot of them around in the Midwest right now.  An airport in central WI reported a snowy owl strike with a plane.  As noted, they hang around open ground that's like their habitat up north.  The airport shot one.  Then Audubon people showed up and netted a couple.   The story is the lemming population has crashed, so they've moved south to find food.  It's my understanding they will take snowshoe hares too.  Perhaps more of a threat to the woods bunnies than to grouse.