• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
blanked

Velocity with a 12 gauge BUL.

blanked

What do you like

dogrunner

What are you trying to shoot?

ScottGrush

I've shot anything and everything through my gun.  From standard velocity stuff to pheasant rockets they all work. 

shinbone

Same with me - I shoot lots of target loads, then throw in some big goose loads without skipping a beat.

Auto-5

Don’t do much waterfowl I.e. steel or non toxic so don’t see the need for many of the really high speed stuff that seems to be the rage now days. Even for turkeys 1200- 1300 fps seem to get it done just fine out to. 40 yds. Actually I rarely shoot anything other than #6,7 1/2& 8 shot. I guess I need to expand my horizons more.

blanked

Do you notice a difference when shooting say 1100 fps and 1400 fps as far as how much to lead the bird.  

dogrunner

You will notice very little on lead but when it gets cold you are better off with higher velocity shells cold weather slows them down. 

77480967-EA92-40E2-A3D4-9B5CDD856243.jpeg

jpari

When speaking of lead, I have always found excessive velocity way overrated. As long as you keep the FPS around 1200 for a hunting load you will be fine in the field.  Retained energy has always concerned me more than velocity.  Since 1985 I have hunted pheasants using the same back up load with great success.  It is 1 3/8 oz. of #5s moving at a modest 1050 FPS.  The #5s retain a good amount of energy at distances that most of us can hit a bird, and the 1 3/8th ounce of shot fills in the pattern well.  It is very mild to shoot.  If we are talking steel shot, then, we are in another ball game entirely.  The adage speed kills is not a misnomer. 

Cold Iron

For clays 7/8 oz. at 1200 fps. Phez 1 3/8 oz. of #5 at 1250 fps. Been at least 3 years since I've shot grouse with it went to the 16 ga. pump and shoot more birds. But when I did used 1 1/8 oz. of #6 at 1250 fps. 

First thing I did was fit 2 Kick Ezz recoil pads to it. Thicker for clays and summer use and thinner for hunting with heavier clothing.

18184258406_51bc739d45_z.jpg

I might have even put a screw in deluxe vented poly choke on the end of it when no one is around. Don't want anyone you know see you with it, kind of like the fat girl at closing but it really helps with the swing IMO.

16030913015_29645f14e4_b.jpg

One of those guns I shoot the best but the least anymore.

ThreeDogs

I always like moderate velocity rounds in mine the real speedy stuff kick like a mule in that light gun.

NVChukarChaser

1 1/4 of of lead going 1330 FPS seems to be a sweet load in that gun. Much more kicks like a mule. I have GoPro video of shooting some hot Fiocchi loads at Chukar and my head get flung way back and I’m 6 foot 200+ pounds. 

Fishnfowler

After much pattern testing, I'm a fan of the 1200fps load with high antimony lead.  Higher speeds tend to give uneven patterns.  When it comes to steel, it is a different game. 

Larry Brown
22 hours ago, jpari said:

When speaking of lead, I have always found excessive velocity way overrated. As long as you keep the FPS around 1200 for a hunting load you will be fine in the field.  Retained energy has always concerned me more than velocity.  Since 1985 I have hunted pheasants using the same back up load with great success.  It is 1 3/8 oz. of #5s moving at a modest 1050 FPS.  The #5s retain a good amount of energy at distances that most of us can hit a bird, and the 1 3/8th ounce of shot fills in the pattern well.  It is very mild to shoot.  If we are talking steel shot, then, we are in another ball game entirely.  The adage speed kills is not a misnomer. 

I have a neat book called "Shotshells and Ballistics" by John Taylor.  Just have to turn a few pages to compare retained energy at various distances with loads of different velocity and shot size.  For example, if you launch lead 6's at 1400 fps, retained energy at 40 yards is 2.35 ft-lbs.  You can do that, or you can switch to something like the same 1 1/4 oz load, but RST 5's at 1200 fps--with about 2.75 ft-lbs retained energy.  And that 200 fps muzzle velocity advantage will be down to about 40 fps for the 1400 fps load at 40 yards.  The faster you start, the faster they slow down. 

Curt

Nearly everything I shoot in my BUL is 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz at around 1200 fps which works fine for my needs.  I took the thing crow hunting once a couple years ago.  I'd loaded up some of my old lead duck loads from long ago (1 3/8 ounce lead 5's).  I'm not normally recoil sensitive but that lite gun and those loads made me feel like my fillings were being knocked loose.

charlo slim
3 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

I have a neat book called "Shotshells and Ballistics" by John Taylor.  Just have to turn a few pages to compare retained energy at various distances with loads of different velocity and shot size.  For example, if you launch lead 6's at 1400 fps, retained energy at 40 yards is 2.35 ft-lbs.  You can do that, or you can switch to something like the same 1 1/4 oz load, but RST 5's at 1200 fps--with about 2.75 ft-lbs retained energy.  And that 200 fps muzzle velocity advantage will be down to about 40 fps for the 1400 fps load at 40 yards.  The faster you start, the faster they slow down. 

Yep.  And in addition to more recoil and minimal  energy gain at target, that extra 200 fps will "buy" you some extra pellet deformation, hence reduced energy / penetration and declining patterning efficiency by those deformed pellets as they lag behind and wander laterally from the pattern.  Very often a rather poor bargain, IMO.