FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
markbrit

Cast Iron Christmas

markbrit

Well finally jumped into the cast iron world. Also picked up a camp dutch oven. Bird recipes requested please :)

cast.jpg

Dogwood

Nice a must have for any serious chef, and even those not so serious.  Be sure to season them per the directions!

NECarson

The only thing I cook with... 

About the only way I cook birds in them is to blacken them. 

Crack both sides of the wishbone, so the breasts lay pretty flat. Season them, more than you normally would. 

Good bit of butter in the pan, way hotter than butter should be. 

Cook to desired doneness. 

Probably best to do it outside, or remove smoke detectors and open a window. 

frak

Play with the griddles etc. But you will drop to your knees and give thanks when you start to get a handle on that Dutch oven

RDG

Love cooking in cast iron.... found a fellow on another gun board that restored older cast iron from the early 1900's.  Picked up a few from him. 

I now rarely cook on anything other than the larger cast iron pan I have.  Think it's a #8. It needs to be seasoned again though... wife likes to scrub it with soap and a harsh sponge. Drives me nuts. She won't listen. 

If you haven't seasoned it yet... flaxseed oil is the way to go. 

I need a #10 and a griddle to add to my collection though.   Someday. 

Kansas Bound

I have discovered that cast iron is a single guys dream. The durability and ease of clean up are such a luxury.

Don Steese

When we sold our cabin we left all the kitchen utensils except for our best Grizwald cast iron frying pan. That now resides in my motorhome!  It's probably a hundred years old and, with proper care, will go another hundred!!  

NECarson
1 hour ago, Kansas Bound said:

I have discovered that cast iron is a single guys dream. The durability and ease of clean up are such a luxury.

Every guy! 

NECarson
29 minutes ago, markbrit said:

Lodge skillets came preseasoned already. They just bake on a canola oil. Just made breakfast so far. Heat is even spread which I like.

I just ordered my dutch oven today!

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L12CO3-Cast-Dutch-quart/dp/B00006JSUH/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The factory season is pretty good. 

Just wait a couple of months. 

Mine never get soap, and are never submerged in water. 

Brad Eden

I resurrected a couple old rusted cast iron skillets from my old camp. Those did need a good washing first, then a coating of Conola oil and baked in oven for 1/2 hr or so. Back into service.

Canuck

I inherited my Dad's set of three cast iron skillets. Made by the T.Eaton Company. They have to be 75 years old. Way better pans than the Teflon skillets sold today.

Canuck

kgb

I've used a Griswold no 8 skillet since 1991 and when my wife decided to try blackened catfish with it I bought her a no 9 of the same type. The larger pan is perfect for a batch of cornbread, mine is a breakfast maker and both get pretty constant general use. Mine's due for a re-start, my BIL used to re-treat his by tossing it in an annual Autumn bonfire and fishing it out the next day. His was a very small version suitable for one over easy or dippy egg at a time and would build up a black crust from the edge inward. 

A couple years ago I finally picked up a Griswold oven in size 8 from a guy I see at gunshows, he seasons his iron with grapeseed oil via a kiln and it is durable. Stews and soups turn out perfect, and while food's appearance on the plate is an element of enjoying a meal I get a warm fuzzy seeing a ladle handle resting on the rim of this pot as the contents steam their way to done. 

The lid also fits the same size skillet, sorta makes me want a no 9 Chicken Fryer pan and its associated self-basting lid. 

Yukon1

Several years ago I found some of my in-laws cast iron pans while cleaning out their house after they had passed. According to my wife they had originally belonged to her great grandmother. I gave them some much needed attention and my wife was very pleased to be using them. Since then my folks have given her new Lodge cast iron for Christmas and birthdays so she now has quite a collection. 

That's about all we cook with now. The food always comes out great and the cleanup couldn't be easier.