markbrit

Cast Iron Christmas

Dave in Maine

I'm using 4 skillets, all in different sizes, the newest of which I got used almost 30 years ago, and the oldest (for me) I bought new in 1981. 

And then there's the camp oven.  I bought it from a junk dealer out in Buxton for like 15 or 20 bucks.  It took about 5 minutes with the drill and wire wheel to clean off the rust, then a couple iterations of seasoning to get it right.  I make bread, pasta, one-pot meals, moose goulash, choucroute, yadda yadda in it.  Possibly the best 15 or 20 bucks I've spent in the last decade.  Took it along on the moose hunt last year and, well, I wasn't quite hailed as a Savior, but it was close. 

markbrit

sometimes it is good to be from NJ :)

20171227_115600.jpg

A516

If you like cast iron cooking, you need to get one or more of the cast iron cornstick pans and a good cornbread recipe.  The thin, crispy cornsticks are one of the best ways to eat cornbread.

Rogue Hunter

Don't worry, it takes some time to get that non-stick surface going. You'll realize you don't have to go up-town to get a good steakhouse steak...that first steak in CI is a revelation.

Find a local meat market that will make you "no sugar added" bacon. Most(all) brandname packaged meats will stick to your CI because of the sugar.

I did the flaxseed oil seasoning thing and it works, but you can get good results with a lot of different oils for a lot less money. I used lard last time with good results.

I have five skillets: 3, 6, and 8 Griswolds, and 3 and 5 BSR's. I'm getting to like the BSR's more and more every day; would like to find a chicken fryer for making stews.

Brad, you have a long way to go in seasoning your cast iron...goggle CI seasoning. LOL

Edited by Rogue Hunter

Dave in Maine
6 hours ago, markbrit said:

sometimes it is good to be from NJ :)

20171227_115600.jpg

NJ is a good place to be from.

Though Taylor Pork Roll can be worth passing through.  

Marc Ret

Did someone say cast iron?

I wish I could say these belong to me but they don't. They're part of an uncle of mine's collection. I need to butter him up a bit so he leaves me a few in his will...

image.jpeg

Jakeismydog2
On 12/26/2017 at 8:02 PM, RDG said:

Love cooking in cast iron.... found a fellow on another gun board that restored older cast iron from the early 1900's.  Picked up a few from him. 

I now rarely cook on anything other than the larger cast iron pan I have.  Think it's a #8. It needs to be seasoned again though... wife likes to scrub it with soap and a harsh sponge. Drives me nuts. She won't listen. 

If you haven't seasoned it yet... flaxseed oil is the way to go. 

I need a #10 and a griddle to add to my collection though.   Someday. 

I am very thankful that my wife loves and understands the cat iron skillet thing.

If anyone ever washed mine with soap! Oh that would be a bad day for them.

Dongotto

Clean them when they are still warm/soon after cooking and you will be glad you did. 

Field Grade

Marc that is a great collection!

I'm from Erie, Pa. where Griswold was made and I inherited quite a few skillets ( or spiders as some of the ones with stubby legs are called), cornbread molds, and a few other odds and ends. Like many of you, the cast iron is about all we cook with.

Also love to cook with dutch oven on the campfire. Even on a backcountry canoe trip with portages it's worth its weight.

ps they say you can save an old rusty, encrusted pan by just burying it in a bed of coals to burn off the crud, then scouring and re-seasoning it.

kgb

I wash my pan before each use, my wife washes hers after each use and wipes it with  a paper towel and Crisco. I do clean out the oven after each use, and all 3 get scrubbed with a bit of dish soap from time to time if it's already in the sink. None have aparently suffered for it.  

Marc Ret
2 hours ago, Field Grade said:

Marc that is a great collection!

I'm from Erie, Pa. where Griswold was made and I inherited quite a few skillets ( or spiders as some of the ones with stubby legs are called), cornbread molds, and a few other odds and ends. Like many of you, the cast iron is about all we cook with.

Also love to cook with dutch oven on the campfire. Even on a backcountry canoe trip with portages it's worth its weight.

ps they say you can save an old rusty, encrusted pan by just burying it in a bed of coals to burn off the crud, then scouring and re-seasoning it.

Yes, it is a very nice collection. 

My aunt and uncle have spent their married life (50+ yrs) going to public sales around the country. They love 'em. A few yrs ago, he decided to use one of the outbuildings on their property to create a "museum" of items he was fond of. That wall of cast iron was a small part of the place and he graciously allowed me to photograph what he has displayed.

The odds are probably very slim, but if you ever spent time in Ickesburg, PA (Perry county), you may have eaten at the restaurant they used to operate. They've owned a number of businesses over the years including the restaurant and are pretty well known in that area. 

martyg

The best way that I found to season... When you are grilling something at high heart put them on the grill with bacon fat. Let the bacon fat caramelize. Oils work OK. Coconut oil is good. Bacon fat seems to be the ticket.

Heard about this on NPR. Tried it once and we went totally non-stick.

Don Steese

I'd be interested in finding out how some of you guys clean yours.

Kansas Bound
38 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I'd be interested in finding out how some of you guys clean yours.

Rinse and wipe out if not very dirty.

When hot pour some water in the pan, it boils out the hard stuff.  Rinse and wipe out.

RDG

Like suggested ... I usually just wipe mine  out after use. 

For harder  stuck on stuff, I put in a 1/4" of water and bring it to boil whole scrubbing it with a light brush. Works every time.  Just give it a light coat of oil before putting it away.