• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
GB Jack

Small campers

Chukarman
4 hours ago, GB Jack said:

If I could afford a 24

airsteam , I’m sure that’s the route I would go 

GBJ. - I bought my trailer some years ago —- used. I recently priced a new replacement trailer and it was just north of $ 75,000. I decided to just add a few upgrades to my current trailer. For 75K I could buy a house in rural Montana!

bobman

bigfoot is alive and well and back in production and it’s a better camper than airstream 

frugal pointer

This is a great time of year to buy a used camper as long as you can get a good look at it.  If you don't know what to look for educate yourself with Google on delamination and soft spots etc.  I have had everything from a pop up to a 4x4 converted motorhome to run the beach.  Bathrooms are handy, showers come in pretty damn close as well.   So much to choose from out there.  Happy hunting.   FP 

GB Jack
1 hour ago, Grifish said:

My wife and I have had our 17’ Casita from Texas to Maine. It tows easily with our Tahoe and we used to tow it with an Astro va, no problem. We’ve owned her for about 8 years.  There’s some maintenance but it’s not too bad. Dry n warm when it rains and cool and well ventilated when it is hot. I have never seen one, but the Bigfoot described earlier is really supposed to be a fine 4 season unit, from what I understand they are no longer being made.

If you want to sleep in a clean bed when you travel it is a very viable option. Nice fridge, we have it set up with the bed permanently made and have a dining/kitchen area and bathroom with shower. We never have used the shower.  

Oh yeah, wife loves it- “ but, wouldn’t one of those Airstreams be nice.”

40F45C5B-8EDA-436A-A412-36538467E897.jpeg

That is sweet. Wish I could find one like that

Grifish
1 hour ago, bobman said:

bigfoot is alive and well and back in production and it’s a better camper than airstream 

Thanks for the correction Bobman! And yep, but the wife is gagga about the Airstream.

mccuha

I had a truck camper and it served my needs but I just didn’t like how it rode in the back of the truck. It was older, heavy and wasn’t really designed for my truck(5 1/2 bed) I would have to haul dogs in trailer and really don’t like hauling a dog trailer. I’m getting a tag along the next camper I get. I know fifth wheels tow better. But I can put the dogs in the back of the truck and tow the camper.  However a toy hauler would be nice and you can get them in a fifth wheel design that way you could put dog kennels in back of the toy hauler as well as other gear.  There’s a lot of options and styles. Just need to find one that suits as many needs as possible 

Remo

I would suggest renting the one you like for a trip  before you buy. You will save yourself buyers remorse. When we retired we bought a used 19' Airstream with the intention of touring some national parks. My wife didn't sleep well in it so the air fizzled out of that idea. And I am back in the cargo trailer.... But the dogs like it.

mccuha
12 minutes ago, Remo said:

I would suggest renting the one you like for a trip  before you buy. You will save yourself buyers remorse. When we retired we bought a used 19' Airstream with the intention of touring some national parks. My wife didn't sleep well in it so the air fizzled out of that idea. And I am back in the cargo trailer.... But the dogs like it.

Forgot about a cargo trailer.  Wife may not like it but they do work out pretty good for a warm dry place to lay your head at the end of a long day

GB Jack
10 minutes ago, Remo said:

More ideas here than you can shake a stick at. Fun project too.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cargo+trailer+camper+conversion+

I am without a doubt the most un handy perisn in the world , but the first one in there would be perfect . That being said , I can buy a brand new queen size bed , and shower less , nice trailer for 9g, what would a trailer conversion like that cost??  Would it be cooler? Warmer? Than a commercial camper?

Locher
9 hours ago, GB Jack said:

I am without a doubt the most un handy perisn in the world , but the first one in there would be perfect . That being said , I can buy a brand new queen size bed , and shower less , nice trailer for 9g, what would a trailer conversion like that cost??  Would it be cooler? Warmer? Than a commercial camper?

You can do better than 9g.  2 years ago, I bought a 20' camper with queen bed, kitchen and bathroom (with shower) for 8.  And it was in like new condition.  I realize every area is different but prices shouldn't vary that much.

If you're willing to buy used, and wait for the right deal, I think you would have a hard time converting a cargo trailer for less money than something that was actually built for what you want.

bobman

I bet a converted cargo trailer would handle dirt roads better

blanked

Your a perfect canidate for a cargo trailer     You can order them any length you want with 1 or 2 axles.   No windows or however many you want     Keep it as basic or upgraded as you go

ScottGrush

I hunted out of an outfit like this for several seasons and my wife and I camped out of it during the Summers. 

Ours did not have a bathroom but we were younger then, I'm sure we could still manage today without inside facilities. 

If $7K is in your budget. 

http://www.generalrv.com/product/used-2009-forest-river-rv-rockwood-freedom-ltd-series-190xr-751185-7#photos

GB Jack

So if I could pick this up, new for 8500, I think I’m literally getting it for almost cost . A friend works at a camper company   and he said because of lack of bathroom and size , they are tougher to sell? Seems perfect for us ?

9E0D8979-7B2D-4B8C-9454-56E52B17D21B.jpeg

AD77E66F-BE4F-4835-8414-619EF639BAAF.jpeg

A6D0CCEC-394E-40D6-8819-EA37A1800FB3.jpeg