• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
GB Jack

Small campers

readgriff

It’s a scam 

The lady’s husband died needs to sell start new life with daughter etc.

Speedgoat44
On 1/15/2018 at 11:58 AM, Hub said:

Funny post!  You had me laughing.  I am trying to rectify in my head how a sportsman can have a mouse phobia though.  Every hunting shack, north woods resort, and fishing camp I have ever been to has had at least a few mice in it.  They are just part of the ambiance.

Pre-Hanta, I spent a summer up in the Jackson Hole area working at a resort...Holy Jesus...there were so many mice I probably ate a couple in my sleep.  Never gave it a second thought.  A couple of years later the Hanta came on the scene and I've been a little gun-shy ever since.   Despite this little quirk, I somehow manage to live a full and abundant life, even though I haven't driven my primary vehicle in 3 weeks.  Those little effers...   

Brad Eden
On 1/15/2018 at 1:58 PM, Hub said:

Funny post!  You had me laughing.  I am trying to rectify in my head how a sportsman can have a mouse phobia though.  Every hunting shack, north woods resort, and fishing camp I have ever been to has had at least a few mice in it.  They are just part of the ambiance.

True , true, and my northwoods camp is no exception. The first year me an fellow UJer Mike Stenstrom deer hunted out if it we were drawing a blank. But were both entertained and annoyed by the scampering of mice while relaxing in evening and while trying to sleep. So the deer hunt was off and the mouse hunt began. We did OK, and even created a mini gambrels out of toothpicks or something and hung our 1 ounce trophies on the game pole.

MNice

Destination, SW Iowa for a quick January pheasant and quail hunt years ago. With no accommodations nearby, our only choice was to stay with a farmer friend in his run down farm house. When he wasn't farming he was drinking and being January, the place hadn't been cleaned in months. Garbage bags, that moved, lined the hallway three high and the kitchen, well let's just say we spent hours removing trash. I was willing to drive to Lincoln NE to find a hotel but my friend didn't want to offend our farmer friend (not that he knew we were there anyway) so we  stayed.

The plan was to watch a movie, have a few beers, and get up early. After I removed the debris from the couch, I sat down to watch the movie and something was moving beneath the cushion, Startled, I stood up and out ran a rat. Across the couch it went and when it reached the top of the VCR....BOOM! The farmer had a 44 on the end table and tried shooting the rat but only managed to blow up the VCR and put another hole in the wall. Plan B soon developed and it involved drinking enough brown liquor to where we would forget, kind of.

The second floor of the farm house was walled off with plastic to save on heating. That's where we would be sleeping; on the floor in sleeping bags in a vacant bedroom. Surprisingly, this was the cleanest part of the house showing no evidence of rodent activity. A couple of drinks later, sleep came easy. I'm a heavy sleeper, especially after some brown liquor, but something startled my subconscious and as I turned on the flashlight, mice were everywhere. Hundreds of them. Game over! Even though it was -15 outside, we slept in the truck the rest of the night. 

Oh, campers....yes, a haven for mice also especially when winter comes. Not a fan.

Don Steese
7 hours ago, MNice said:

Destination, SW Iowa for a quick January pheasant and quail hunt years ago. With no accommodations nearby, our only choice was to stay with a farmer friend in his run down farm house. When he wasn't farming he was drinking and being January, the place hadn't been cleaned in months. Garbage bags, that moved, lined the hallway three high and the kitchen, well let's just say we spent hours removing trash. I was willing to drive to Lincoln NE to find a hotel but my friend didn't want to offend our farmer friend (not that he knew we were there anyway) so we  stayed.

The plan was to watch a movie, have a few beers, and get up early. After I removed the debris from the couch, I sat down to watch the movie and something was moving beneath the cushion, Startled, I stood up and out ran a rat. Across the couch it went and when it reached the top of the VCR....BOOM! The farmer had a 44 on the end table and tried shooting the rat but only managed to blow up the VCR and put another hole in the wall. Plan B soon developed and it involved drinking enough brown liquor to where we would forget, kind of.

The second floor of the farm house was walled off with plastic to save on heating. That's where we would be sleeping; on the floor in sleeping bags in a vacant bedroom. Surprisingly, this was the cleanest part of the house showing no evidence of rodent activity. A couple of drinks later, sleep came easy. I'm a heavy sleeper, especially after some brown liquor, but something startled my subconscious and as I turned on the flashlight, mice were everywhere. Hundreds of them. Game over! Even though it was -15 outside, we slept in the truck the rest of the night. 

Oh, campers....yes, a haven for mice also especially when winter comes. Not a fan.

That's so unbelievable, it has to be true!!  Funniest thing I've read in a while!!