GB Jack

Small campers

Speedgoat44
On 1/17/2018 at 10:42 AM, MNice said:

Destination, SW Iowa for a quick January pheasant and quail hunt years ago. With no accommodations nearby, our only choice was to stay with a farmer friend in his run down farm house. When he wasn't farming he was drinking and being January, the place hadn't been cleaned in months. Garbage bags, that moved, lined the hallway three high and the kitchen, well let's just say we spent hours removing trash. I was willing to drive to Lincoln NE to find a hotel but my friend didn't want to offend our farmer friend (not that he knew we were there anyway) so we  stayed.

The plan was to watch a movie, have a few beers, and get up early. After I removed the debris from the couch, I sat down to watch the movie and something was moving beneath the cushion, Startled, I stood up and out ran a rat. Across the couch it went and when it reached the top of the VCR....BOOM! The farmer had a 44 on the end table and tried shooting the rat but only managed to blow up the VCR and put another hole in the wall. Plan B soon developed and it involved drinking enough brown liquor to where we would forget, kind of.

The second floor of the farm house was walled off with plastic to save on heating. That's where we would be sleeping; on the floor in sleeping bags in a vacant bedroom. Surprisingly, this was the cleanest part of the house showing no evidence of rodent activity. A couple of drinks later, sleep came easy. I'm a heavy sleeper, especially after some brown liquor, but something startled my subconscious and as I turned on the flashlight, mice were everywhere. Hundreds of them. Game over! Even though it was -15 outside, we slept in the truck the rest of the night. 

Oh, campers....yes, a haven for mice also especially when winter comes. Not a fan.

Holy Jesus...I'd almost recovered from the mouse in my car fiasco until I read this.   Funny and absolutely terrifying at the same time!  

ccavacini

Haters gonna hate.

cute-mouse01.jpg

MNice
On 2/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, Speedgoat44 said:

Holy Jesus...I'd almost recovered from the mouse in my car fiasco until I read this.   Funny and absolutely terrifying at the same time!  

There's a lot more to the story but that'll remain untold.

It was a long four days....very cold, an unrelenting wind, and very little sleep. On our eight hour drive home, we were so tired we'd take turns driving every 1/2 hour or so and finally decided to pull into a rest stop and get some sleep. I was so damn exhausted I couldn't sleep... the state where sounds are amplified, thoughts race through your head, and you become startled the second you start to drift into sleep. My friend had been sleeping for a good hour when he suddenly awoke and thought we were still driving down the road. He grabbed the wheel, stomped on the brakes, and started screaming thinking we were about to crash into the parked car in front of us. After a good laugh and some more rest, we headed home.

Never underestimate sleep or the effect a herd of mice can have on it.

Hub

When I was young and dumb my buddies and I took a trip over spring break to the smokey mountains.  Being from the midwest we had it in our minds that anywhere south of us was going to be warm.  We started in on an extended hiking trip and as soon as we had elevation we were hiking in thigh deep snow.  Undeterred (and lacking common sense) we pushed forward and made it several miles to the national forest 'lean to' that we were planning to spend the night in.  It was basically a three walled shelter with a roof and one open side.  Hanging from the interior ceiling of the lean to were several ropes with tin can lids strung through the middle.  I assumed they were an effort to keep the birds out of the place.  We were all soaked head to toe and as a heavy snow set in going back wasn't an option.  We fired up dinner on a backpacking stove and then huddled into our sleeping bags trying not to freeze to death.  As soon as the sun dipped below the horizon hordes of mice came out in force.  I don't mind 5 or 10.  I mean hundreds.  They were running over our sleeping bags and occasionally over our faces.  They were ransacking through our packs no matter how much we swatted at them with sticks etc.  It finally occurred to me that the tin cans and strings weren't for birds at all, they were for hanging the packs up high enough so that the hordes of mice couldn't get to your food.  After hanging the packs the little b@stards were still jumping almost 2' off the ground to catch a strap and shimmy into the packs.  I don't know if I got more than 5 minutes sleep that night despite being physically and mentally exhausted.  That set the bar pretty high for what I am willing to tolerate since then.

Speedgoat44
12 hours ago, Hub said:

When I was young and dumb my buddies and I took a trip over spring break to the smokey mountains.  Being from the midwest we had it in our minds that anywhere south of us was going to be warm.  We started in on an extended hiking trip and as soon as we had elevation we were hiking in thigh deep snow.  Undeterred (and lacking common sense) we pushed forward and made it several miles to the national forest 'lean to' that we were planning to spend the night in.  It was basically a three walled shelter with a roof and one open side.  Hanging from the interior ceiling of the lean to were several ropes with tin can lids strung through the middle.  I assumed they were an effort to keep the birds out of the place.  We were all soaked head to toe and as a heavy snow set in going back wasn't an option.  We fired up dinner on a backpacking stove and then huddled into our sleeping bags trying not to freeze to death.  As soon as the sun dipped below the horizon hordes of mice came out in force.  I don't mind 5 or 10.  I mean hundreds.  They were running over our sleeping bags and occasionally over our faces.  They were ransacking through our packs no matter how much we swatted at them with sticks etc.  It finally occurred to me that the tin cans and strings weren't for birds at all, they were for hanging the packs up high enough so that the hordes of mice couldn't get to your food.  After hanging the packs the little b@stards were still jumping almost 2' off the ground to catch a strap and shimmy into the packs.  I don't know if I got more than 5 minutes sleep that night despite being physically and mentally exhausted.  That set the bar pretty high for what I am willing to tolerate since then.

Sweet Lord...

Millriver
21 hours ago, Speedgoat44 said:

Sweet Lord...

What he said. I'm squirming around just reading this!