• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Grousehunter

Hunter Orange Upland Jacket- What's out there

Grousehunter

Hey All-

I'm in the hunt for a new solid (or mostly) hunter orange jacket for grousing in a cooler climate (northwestern Ontario, Canada: 45 minutes north of Minnesota border).  We're required to wear 400 square inches of solid hunter orange during the open gun season for deer and moose which runs right through most of grouse season.  Most of my hunting would be in the 40 to 60 degree temps. This is the only jacket I've found so far by Orvis:  http://www.orvis.com/p/men-s-upland-shell/2CS5?adv=615673&cm_mmc=criteo-_-LF-_-FS150-_-615673

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

DV

NECarson

40-60 degrees I'd be in an orange UA Storm hoodie. 

Does it have to be a jacket? 

UplandHntr
7 hours ago, Grousehunter said:

Hey All-

I'm in the hunt for a new solid (or mostly) hunter orange jacket for grousing in a cooler climate (northwestern Ontario, Canada: 45 minutes north of Minnesota border).  We're required to wear 400 square inches of solid hunter orange during the open gun season for deer and moose which runs right through most of grouse season.  Most of my hunting would be in the 40 to 60 degree temps. This is the only jacket I've found so far by Orvis:  http://www.orvis.com/p/men-s-upland-shell/2CS5?adv=615673&cm_mmc=criteo-_-LF-_-FS150-_-615673

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

DV

Does this one say it has 363 in of orange? Falls short of 400. 40-60 degrees is really pretty mild if not warm to wear a jacket. 

Brad Eden

Nice. Orvis is also a UJ Ad Sponsor. Unsolicited advertiser, contacted me because they like what UJ is all about.

studdog

I also would not be wearing a jacket at that temp.  Orange golf shirt and Duluth trading strap vest.  Orvis makes one but it doesn't get good reviews.  I have Berretta with lots of orange that's Great but too hot for me at 40-60 F.

GuyO

I have the Orvis jacket you linked in solid Orange. It’s my go to jacket for not only cold weather hunting but any time I’m outside with the dog. So far it’s held up for me in brush and cover. It has the underarm vent zippers to help with overheating. The thing I also like is it keeps me dry in a moderate rain. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with any Orvis product!

Grousehunter
1 hour ago, studdog said:

I also would not be wearing a jacket at that temp.  Orange golf shirt and Duluth trading strap vest.  Orvis makes one but it doesn't get good reviews.  I have Berretta with lots of orange that's Great but too hot for me at 40-60 F.

More towards the 40 degree end of things , like those cold mornings before it warms up.  

Grousehunter
9 hours ago, NECarson said:

40-60 degrees I'd be in an orange UA Storm hoodie. 

Does it have to be a jacket? 

I have that hoody.  In fact, that's what I'm wearing in my profile pic because it's one of the few garments that is solid orange and warm.

WMassGriff

I also recommend Bean's Fleece Jacket. Works pretty good for layering under a heavy jacket for stand hunting too!

studdog

I often start with lightweight bean fleece and take it off as soon as I warm up.  Fits nicely in Game vest pouch.

JoeFroESS

I Agree with Dennis - I have an older version of that same Orvis Jacket and it is great.  Very durable.  Burrs don't stick to it.  And its not too heavy while not too light. Pit zips are great to cool you down.  It's my goto hunting coat.

bobman

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-MENS-PRAIRIE-RUNNER-COAT/2291776.uts

I bought this and when i got to checkout there was 20 gauge shells and dog hair in the pockets so they dropped the price to $125.00 and asked me if I still wanted it

heck yeah! Dog hair is considered a clothing accessory at my house lol

very nice bird hunting jacket well designed