FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Grousehunter

Hunter Orange Upland Jacket- What's out there

Scrappy

Another vote for the Bean fleece jacket.

Grousehunter

Thanks guys.   Keep it coming.  

NECarson
6 hours ago, Grousehunter said:

I have that hoody.  In fact, that's what I'm wearing in my profile pic because it's one of the few garments that is solid orange and warm.

I wear mine and layer unless it's well below freezing. 

DonT

One more YES!!! on the Bean Fleece jacket.  With a good base layer I wear it down in the 30s.  

I have the Cabela's lookout jacket you linked and it's a burr magnet and does not breathe.  

I have been thing about -    http://www.mulehuntingclothes.com/Mule-Lightweight-Jacket-p/lightweightjackets-01.htm     in orange for the real cold and windy days and their briar proof shirt for those 45 and up sunny days.  

Guys,   does that Orvis soft shell jacket breathe?

Marc

You guys wear Fleece as an outer layer in grouse coverts.  Doesn't it catch on everything?

I vote for a vest, that you can wear over whatever jacket you need - from +10 to - 20.

duluthUPLAND

I have the Orvis shell you posted (in blaze/khaki) and I like it a lot. It has held up well over the past two seasons for me but like others have mentioned, you'll want to be closer to 40 than 60 when you wear it. That said, what you wear underneath can also factor into that. If it's above 40 and below 50, I may wear the Orvis shell with a very light synthetic base layer underneath. Below 40 and this jacket is pretty well suited for the grouse woods with a light or midweight base layer.

Remo

I have the older model of this one that is on sale now:

https://www.columbia.com/ptarmigan-interchange-parka-|-250-|-m-888664152491.html?mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!230137023761!!!g!378269851119!&ef_id=Whc7TwAAALq1qkZi:20171228174802:s

It is very well made, the sleeves zip off for warm days, but if you want shell loops you have to add them yourself which was easy

to do. This coat is for cooler weather and sized large like most Columbia jackets.

frak

I got the Orvis women's version for my wife for Christmas.  I'm really impressed by it and she likes it a lot.  Both for the field and - -as someone above mentioned - -  just for dog-walking.  

mccuha

Well my go to jacket is a UA style hoodie made by Russell and sold in Walmart.  It’s just as warm and at least half the price maybe less. If it tairs up then just buy another.  Solid orange as well.  

NECarson
33 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Well my go to jacket is a UA style hoodie made by Russell and sold in Walmart.  It’s just as warm and at least half the price maybe less. If it tairs up then just buy another.  Solid orange as well.  

Does it shed water? 

That's the best thing about the UA stuff. Really the only thing I like. 

mccuha

Not sure but it has the same finish on the outside as the UA. Been using it out in tx and just like OK. Not a lot of opportunities to see if it sheds water

NECarson

That's for sure. Been dry a lot lately. 

But when it's damp and not cold, shedding water with a hoodie is nice. I'll pick know those hoodies up on clearance every chance I get. 

NECarson

I just realized that I'm sitting here in a Russell hoodie. 

mccuha

Do you know if there is any moisture in the future forecast. I’m heading back mid December. Would be nice to have some misture to help with scenting conditions. I know we past covies a couple weeks ago due to the lack of moisture