Grousehunter

Hunter Orange Upland Jacket- What's out there

Brookieslayer
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎26 at 10:25 PM, Grousehunter said:

Hey All-

I'm in the hunt for a new solid (or mostly) hunter orange jacket for grousing in a cooler climate (northwestern Ontario, Canada: 45 minutes north of Minnesota border).  We're required to wear 400 square inches of solid hunter orange during the open gun season for deer and moose which runs right through most of grouse season.  Most of my hunting would be in the 40 to 60 degree temps. This is the only jacket I've found so far by Orvis:  http://www.orvis.com/p/men-s-upland-shell/2CS5?adv=615673&cm_mmc=criteo-_-LF-_-FS150-_-615673

Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

DV

That jacket is really decent but doesn't breathe as much as I would like one to... the design is sweet but the membrane holds in too much sweat walking in the brush here in NWO... even with the zips. If I could make a request to Orvis it would be to make the jacket the same but more breathable.

NECarson
14 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Do you know if there is any moisture in the future forecast. I’m heading back mid December. Would be nice to have some misture to help with scenting conditions. I know we past covies a couple weeks ago due to the lack of moisture 

We're getting some precipitation Friday/Saturday 

mccuha
11 hours ago, NECarson said:

We're getting some precipitation Friday/Saturday 

Thanks. I meant mid Jan. I hunt out in the panhandle 

NECarson
3 hours ago, mccuha said:

Thanks. I meant mid Jan. I hunt out in the panhandle 

I hunt a decent bit a tiny bit east of there... Not much coming this way for precipitation. 

robp

Check out a Patagonia alpine guide jacket it's thin and wind ,water proof and breathable they quit making them but you can find them new on ebay also patagoina adze jacket which are slightly heavier again you can find them on ebay these are my favorite jackets both come in bright orange.

I also have an orvis as well its cut pretty loose I use it in really cold weather like 0 with a thin down jacket underneath but other than that I prefer the patagoina alpine guide and the adze and they are less expensive because nobody want the orange besides hunter and dutch soccer fans

3crosses

I went down this road before. Hunting quail here means starting off in 20 degrees and it heating up into the 60's by days end. There was nothing I could find.

So I bought a CHEAP wind breaker from Academy in white and dunked it in rid dye. Works great.

shinbone

This is what I wear on cool to cold mornings.  It has a medium weight fleece body and shell-only arms.  I layer under it when cold, and use it with no layer for cool weather.  It has good water resistance, too, although not a rain coat.  It is very versatile.

IMG_E2644[1].JPG

RDG
15 minutes ago, shinbone said:

This is what I wear on cool to cold morning mornings.  It has a medium weight fleece body and shell arms.  I layer under it when cold, and no layer when it is arm.  It has good water resistance, too, although not a rain coat.

IMG_2644[1].JPG

Details? What jacket it that? 

Edit... found it... it's a Ballistic Hunt™ Windproof Fleece Jacket

and Of course Columbia doesn't carry it anymore. 

shinbone
1 hour ago, RDG said:

It's a Ballistic Hunt™ Windproof Fleece Jacket.

Of course Columbia doesn't carry it anymore. 

(I fixed the photo so the jacket is no longer upside-down)

That's a shame it is out of production.  I would buy another in a heart beat.

RDG

Yukon Gear Men's Windproof Soft Shell Jacket, Blaze/Khaki, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJWG8J0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QJ9vAbDBFBQW2

Found this jacket while searching around.  Doesn't seem like a bad deal. Most of the Yukon jackets get good reviews.

Reviews indicate they run a little big  and the medium is only $20 so I'm gonna try that. I've been hoping the Orvis jacket would go on sale cause I couldn't justify $200 for a hunting jacket. I'll try this one for 1/10 of the cost. Plus it's prime. 

WMassGriff

that Yukon jacket looks pretty slick. Thanks for the tip.

bntsetter

I go with a nice base layer like under-armor gear and a polyester shirt like Greg was looking for in another thread.  The under-armor is wicking and the shirt doesn't catch on things.  perfect hunting attire for me.  I adjust the weight of the base layer for most of the year.  When it gets real cold I wear a fleece vest over the top leaving my arms free.

NECarson
On 1/11/2018 at 3:42 PM, RDG said:

Reviews indicate they run a little big  and the medium is only $20 so I'm gonna try that. I've been hoping the Orvis jacket would go on sale cause I couldn't justify $200 for a hunting jacket. I'll try this one for 1/10 of the cost. Plus it's prime. 

Local shop I frequent mistagged one of the Orvis ones in grey. I noticed it and suggested that they fix it. 

They asked if I wanted it for the marked $99.

It's a very nice jacket.