sprocket

Alzoo Flea & Tick vs Other treatments

sprocket

So my local dog store has a bit of a holistic streak - the gentleman there is suggesting that I use a product combo called Alzoo - topical agent and collar - for flea/tick control.  Geranium, peppermint & cinnamon oil based products.

Sure, the vet gave me some Advantix but we haven't started using it yet - Dobs is at 17 weeks.  I know a lot of guys here and locally use it.  I also know Soresto collars are popular here along with Frontline.

Has anyone here tried/use Alzoo products?  How about any other "All natural" products?

DonT

I tend to like to try Holistic first and have tried a lot of different holistic tick control.  My wife always felt good about not using poison but she didn't like to help me pick 50/100 ticks off the dogs almost daily.  Nothing holistic has ever worked in the woods , maybe it would work for park dogs.  

I have never used the product you are talking about.  I hope you have better luck then i did. 

You being in New England, shouldn't need anything till spring. 

It's not the ticks that bother me, it's the Lyme disease. 

sprocket

"Park Dogs"  Sums it up pretty well - I hope Dobs doesn't have an adverse reaction to the stuff that is proven to work...

Dogwood

I have yet to see a holistic non-insecticidal antiparasitical work.  Ever. 

Non- permethrin/organophosphate topicals and orals are so safe and effective rendering all others obsolete for the time being.

sprocket
6 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I have yet to see a holistic non-insecticidal antiparasitical work.  Ever. 

Non- permethrin/organophosphate topicals and orals are so safe and effective rendering all others obsolete for the time being.

Thanks - Now to look up those big words...

Brad Eden

Soresto collar for ticks at least. Can't say about fleas since we don't seem to have a problem with those. Recently took the collars off the two dogs after 8 months. Very effective for us in tick central.

Dogwood
45 minutes ago, sprocket said:

Thanks - Now to look up those big words...

Those are the old school insecticides that are commonly found in less expensive flea collars, sprays, powders, dips and topicals.  Permethrins are decent at repelling ticks but relatively ineffective against fleas IME.  Along with organophosphates they have greater toxicity potential in both pets and people.  Better than nothing I suppose but far inferior on all levels.

Should add that a permethrin derivative is an ingredient in Seresto collars but is a more refined form and seems very safe in a collar form and quite effective at repelling ticks as per permethrin when applied to clothing.

sprocket

Thanks Gents - it's like I'm learning a new language that only dog owners understand, with a hunting dog twang...

Mike Connally
On 12/28/2017 at 4:17 PM, Dogwood said:

Those are the old school insecticides that are commonly found in less expensive flea collars, sprays, powders, dips and topicals.  Permethrins are decent at repelling ticks but relatively ineffective against fleas IME.  Along with organophosphates they have greater toxicity potential in both pets and people.  Better than nothing I suppose but far inferior on all levels.

Should add that a permethrin derivative is an ingredient in Seresto collars but is a more refined form and seems very safe in a collar form and quite effective at repelling ticks as per permethrin when applied to clothing.

What is your recommendation for the best tick prevention for hunting dogs? 

One item, combination, I don’t care. I just want to find something better than what I am using. 

Right now I’m using Seresto and currently treating one dog for for RMSF. 

I used to use a Preventick collar in combination with Frontline. That worked pretty good. 

tut
6 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

One item, combination, I don’t care. I just want to find something better than what I am using. 

I used to use a Preventick collar in combination with Frontline. That worked pretty good. 

Like Mike, my dog (Sophie) has been wearing Seresto collars for going on two years.   She just tested positive for Anaplasmosis yesterday and is on Doxy for 30 days, and I changed out the Seresto in October.  FWIW, she was also tested positive for Anaplasmosis last February as well and had a 30 day treatment of Doxy that time.   I have indeed pulled in-bedded ticks off her from hunting in Pa.  Pa is indeed tick central. 

In summary, I'd like to have another option as well.   I'm starting to think nothing is perfect on the market.

Dogwood
7 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I've been using oral Simparica on my dogs and have been very happy with it.  Even if a tick does attach it will kill it before it can transmit any disease.