• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Hal Standish

Hot Stove League for Trialers.

bntsetter
15 hours ago, sxsneubaum said:

Running order isn't posted yet. 

She's shown flashes of good stuff in training.  Hunting, not so much.  In the controlled environment of training she's excellent.  In hunting she has no confidence.  She will follow, not get out.  Now if I hunt her with the pup, she is out with the pup and they work together.  Hunt with the male, she stays at my feet. 

How is she in strange environments?  she is confident in the training field because she knows the environment.  How about the difference between tress and field.  I have heard of dogs which behaved differently depending on where they were trained.  Sound like to me she needs happy time in the woods ALONE.

bntsetter

As to the pointer comparison....having only ever owned setters and a pointer I can tell you spaniels are needy. :D  The concepts that you are talking about are very foreign to a pointy dog owner.  Biddability means you don't loose them and they might look in your direction when working the field at whatever range they are at.  In the woods they should look you up if they don't know where you are.  Staying to the front is considered by many to be a biddable dog.  The concept of going with you means they stay to the front on their own. 

I'm enjoying the discussion as it pertains to spaniels please continue.  

sxsneubaum
48 minutes ago, bntsetter said:

How is she in strange environments?  she is confident in the training field because she knows the environment.  How about the difference between tress and field.  I have heard of dogs which behaved differently depending on where they were trained.  Sound like to me she needs happy time in the woods ALONE.

Strange places scare the hell out of her.  Plastic garbage bags hanging out of a garbage can are like chainsaw murderers to her.   Yep, we spend a lot of alone time doing strange things to get her acclimated.  That's why the training field is comfortable to her, spent a lot of time with her there.  Hunting private land I don't have all kinds of access so when I hunt, we are hunting and I hunt multiple dogs at a time. 

SpringerDude

Josie is on auto pilot.  We hunt and enjoy life.  Got her weight down a couple pounds so I think she will be ready come February.  

I have a young pup coming along.  We are just having fun developing and maturing.  I only upload pics to social media sites so don’t know how to get a pic here.   However, most of you have seen her.   

Had her out this morning for some practical, everyday kind of “training”.   She played in the river and assisted with a couple retrieves.  

Learned about standing and waiting.  Surprise gunshots.  Me acting different than in training.  Just a lot of life scenarios that are necessary to develop a pup.   

In regards to other posts on personality and biddable and drive and ....  

Sometimes we all use the same words but can only interpret based on our personal experience.    I don’t know what comes first or in what mixture.   I do know if I like what I am seeing.  If the pup is making me smile, then mission accomplished.   One may be able to develop a pup in a way to eventually bring a smile.  But “smiling” is better than “hopefully smiling” sometime down the road.  

Dont understand how or why puppies and pressure should be used in conversation.  

Set up the drill so that pup knows what is expected.  If we move at the correct pace in training, then pup should not show signs of confusion.   

Duck season is about over. Field trials start early February yeehaww 

sxsneubaum
On 1/7/2018 at 3:39 PM, sxsneubaum said:
On 1/7/2018 at 12:44 PM, Hal Standish said:

How many dogs at Ravenna?

22 Open dogs 24 Amateur dogs. 

Hal Standish
On 1/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, SpringerDude said:

Josie is on auto pilot.  We hunt and enjoy life.  Got her weight down a couple pounds so I think she will be ready come February.  

Duck season is about over. Field trials start early February yeehaww 

Is Josie finished? Am. Open? Pup be running this spring or fall of 2018?

Hal