Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

Kansas Big Dog

Has been the coldest I seen in this area,-15 F. More than 30 F below normal..Yeah snow too,  damn 1". Had to sweep everything off. Windows open today as it is almost 50 F.

kadehippy

meanwhile in Sunny Arizona it's 70 and I'm chasing Quail in my  tee shirt   Sorry I just couldn't help myself  

Ben Hong
2 hours ago, kadehippy said:

meanwhile in Sunny Arizona it's 70 and I'm chasing Quail in my  tee shirt   Sorry I just couldn't help myself  

Yeah...yeah...

topdog1961

Looks like the Midwest could get hit with a storm Friday-Saturday. Around here calling for rain Friday morning turning to freezing rain then snow Friday night into Saturday morning with 20-30 mph winds.  Up to 15 inches in NW Ohio then near zero temps. That's after near 60 degrees and rain Thursay. You know what they say about if you don't like Ohio weather....

Brad Eden

IMG_0582.JPG

35 degrees today. The 3 inches of fluffy snow we got late yesterday has turned into perfect snowball snow....as witnessed on this little woods rat and the woods pony in the distance. Lapdog. Only part-time.

Brad Eden

I guess I should edit the title of this thread to THE BIG THAW...37 degrees right now and temps will reach 50 tomorrow with rain coming. With a 2' plus snowpack and over a week of sub zero temps prior...People in the northeast can expect ice dams...leaking into houses and collapsed roofs. That is, unless they have been putting down melt products and clearing excess snow and shoveled/raked off roofs where needed. I raked off most everything yesterday including one side of my garage roof, Despite a metal roof the conditions haven't resulted in it shedding snow. I did the other side this morning and it was a chore since the warm temps created heavy sticky snow. The southwest....maybe northern New Mexico is looking better all the time...

Lars
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

The southwest....maybe northern New Mexico is looking better all the time...

If your seriously thinking off a move, in the west you don't have to go that far south for good weather. If just a winter getaway, I imagine they have a long bird season. In short sleeves no less!

Millriver

Never mind the roofs, the rivers here will be overflowing from the ice jams! Going to be a messy, and dangerous weekend. Be safe!

Larry Brown
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:54 AM, Brad Eden said:

Bitching and moaning about the weather is lame. But what else is there to do when you are in frozen limbo in the northeast and elsewhere in the US of A.

Stupid cold is all I can say to describe it. -11 this morning, high of 7 degrees predicted. Same crap for the next week plus it looks like. Glad I filled oil tank recently and have a good supply of pellets on hand. I need to run furnace in between keeping living space warm with pellets, because it throws heat into the walk in basement where all the pipes live.

We are accustomed to severe weather situations up here, but this is unusual this early and this prolonged. The final week of ruffed grouse season has been a bust. Today is the final day. Might try and get out for a late afternoon hunt with Cash. 

Otherwise Happy New Year! :)

Same story in both northern WI and IA, Brad.  Just back from a season-ending pheasant hunt in IA.  Brief Jan thaw (about 4-5 days) after 2 weeks in the deep freeze, since before Christmas.  Especially here in northern WI, cold weather is no stranger.  But we had a string of 14 days when we hit below zero lows.  TV weather guy told us that was the 2nd longest cold spell up here on record.  Darned global warming anyhow!

The thaw in Iowa was certainly good for the birds, and they'd lost most of their snow by the time I headed home on the 10th.  The lone rooster I collected, however, clearly had not been suffering.  Carrying fat like a supermarket chicken.  Combination of good cover where I shot him right next to combined corn fields under only a few inches of snow.  Still easy for the birds to get to food.  Contrary to what some will say about pheasants losing weight during the season . . . between the natural process of maturing from less than full grown to start with on opening day and usually readily available food until at least the end of Dec, the birds are in fact packing on fat to carry them through the rest of the winter and still gaining weight.  They may well have lost some weight by March, but we're no longer hunting them at that time.  Although a winter with a lot of snow will result in lost birds.  But mostly due to predation because they're spending too much time in the open digging for food.

Saw birds everywhere we hunted, but roosters in particular were on the nervous side . . . except for the one I killed (stepped on him he sat so tight!) and the one that flushed close, but to my left and behind me, causing me to pivot left while he was flying right . . . and tying me in a knot trying to get off a shot.  But that's late season hunting with our reduced bird numbers.  Hoping for less snow than normal from now on, and a nice, dry, warm spring for good nesting success.

Field Grade

Yep, today is the Big Meltdown, heavy rain on top of snow and ice. 

Then overnight it all freezes again and snows more, with cold weather forecast for the next week or so. 

Turning everything into a skating rink.

Whacked.

gunsrus
26 minutes ago, Field Grade said:

Yep, today is the Big Meltdown, heavy rain on top of snow and ice. 

Then overnight it all freezes again and snows more, with cold weather forecast for the next week or so. 

Turning everything into a skating rink.

Whacked.

Rob , I know your season runs till the end of Feb , What condition are the grounds in the Catskills as we speak ?

Samuel Hoggson

Figured I'd have time to open the pole barn doors before the roof snow slid down.  Wrong.  Got up to see a 45' x 3' x 4' dam of water density white blocking access.  Had to shovel to get doors open for the 5300.  Will never make that mistake again. 

Another hour of fun with bucket loader on ice.  

Oh yeah, now know how to use teflon tape to stop leaks from tapered thread hydraulic fittings.  Learning curve to this role reversal stuff.

More white Wed/Thurs.         

Brad Eden

Driveway is a skating rink even with way above freezing temps. Went out and got some more sand. I always keep most of the front roof of house raked, all ice and snow that was left has melted and rolled off. And I had raked a good bit off the garage. Glad I did above the garage side door because all the snow let loose with the metal roof, and the cement like pile I had to move from in front of door could have been much worse. Glad I went with your basic "A" frame instead of carriage style with sloping roof in front. No snow drops in front of bays. I'm afraid that some folks are in for trouble with all this rain soaking any snow on flatter roofs. 

Canuck

I am worried about ruffed grouse here. We have a lot of snow. Over a day and a half period we went from -30 extreme cold to above freezing. Overnight it started to rain and when it let up in the morning the temperature rapidly dropped back into the -30 range. We are encased in ice. Any ruffed grouse that spent the night in a snow cave roost are probably frozen in right now. Deer are busting through the crust when they walk, but the crust mostly supports my 80 lb lab. Wolves could have a heyday for a while. 

Field Grade

Al, I think the heavy rain is washing away a good bit of the snowpack in the hills. But the ground will remain frozen solid, since it has been so arctic cold up until now. The frost is very deep, I think.

Then tomorrow evening it is supposed to re-freeze, and after that there is some snow in the forecast.

I think the main problem will be with the backroads... they could turn to ice with all the rain re-freezing.

I will check things out next week and give a report.

Rob