• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

gunsrus

Thanks Rob 

Brad Eden

Once again I need to edit title to THE BIG RAIN. Wow, pretty much torrential all night. Driveway is almost all down to gravel. Lawn showing on pathways. 2+ feet of snow cut by 2/3d's. I haven't driven out but suspect town dirt road is a mess. Temps are expected to suddenly drop to below freezing by noon with sleet and ice expected. Hopefully not to much ice build up. Not interested in living to the tune of a generator...northeast living isn't for the faint of heart or limb.

gunsrus

My daughter called me last night around 10:00pm  . Rained all the way up to Maine , she entered the driveway and slid 50' into a snow bank . Watershed on the right was missed . I guess Jeep Grand Cherokees don't handle ice (what vehicle does?) . Solid ice 100 yards to the house . She called a friend and he pulled her out , the next call was to the snowplow guy who was scheduled to be there today to sand . 

I'm thinking the ski slopes are gonna be tough today .

On another note , "Stump" hooked me up with a whole house generator guy and we scheduled installation next spring. 

I can't deal with no power from 3 hours away !

Brad Eden
42 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Rained all the way up to Maine , she entered the driveway and slid 50' into a snow bank . Watershed on the right was missed . I guess Jeep Grand Cherokees don't handle ice (what vehicle does?) . Solid ice 100 yards to the house.

On another note , "Stump" hooked me up with a whole house generator guy and we scheduled installation next spring. 

I can't deal with no power from 3 hours away !

Ed IMG_0587.JPG

How long is the driveway at your Maine "camp" Al?

Quite a melt. I had a good solid iced base to the gravel driveway, which is good for plowing. No more. Can't see past garage but I have long run...At least I won't have to spread too much sand when everything freezes up later today.

We are also looking into an auto generator for our house. Portable works great , but we also need peace of mind when away for any length of time in winter.

Field Grade

Guys get yourself some emergency chains...the kind that have a strap that you run through the wheel and then you tighten with a buckle. Put 2 on each tire and they will get you across icy driveways or backroads. You can't go fast w/them but you don't need to...they just get you out of a jam. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Glacier/PW6085V.html

Regular tire chains are a hassle to get on and off, and then you have to tighten them up. 

gaberdeen

The warm up here yesterday caused a transformer station to go down. We were without power for about 14hts. Luckily temps were almost 60. Hooked up my portable generator to my camper and was nice and comfy. Back to 20 degrees as of this morning.

Ben Hong

It rained all day and night yesterday and it is still lightly raining. The wind has died down though! In our little micro-climate on the lake it was a balmy 60F at 10 AM. The half mile drive from the pavement is all clear

On the way home from town yesterday I hit a foot deep, 75 ft. flooded area across the highway in the heavy rain and the dark. With all the confusing shadows and reflections I took the foot off the gas and coasted into it. Other than a wall of water crashing over me, nothing deleterious happened, but the guy that came 30 seconds later hit that water at 50 -60 mph. Spun his King Cab  around!

Brad Eden

I took my usual spin to my old town to check my PO Box and noticed a lot of the rivers and streams were straining at their banks. I mean about to break through the ice chunks lining the edge. About 3/4' s of the way to post office I hit the first flooded roadway, much like a Ben described. No hydroplane but a rooster tail of spray on both sides. Hmmmmmm, I was past it but it but how high would it be on way back?...I noticed signs saying Rte 1 was flooded out between Frankfort and Prospect. That wash out was higher on way back and I slowly drove through, only to encounter worse flooding in areas I had passed by 15 minutes earlier. One was almost up to my frame as I pushed through. Made it home and was happy to see the big culvert at end of my driveway was successfully flushing the water from major beaver ponds into the Marsh on my property. Rain turned to freezing rain and sleet and seems to have stopped. JoAnn was gonna drive home from her insane MA NH NJ NY visit to parents and the girls, but I told her to stay at daughters house in NH and not try and drive to Maine today. The good news is a huge amount of snow has thawed including any covering the house and garage. Even the snowshoe trails can largely be naviageted with just boots on right now.

Huntschool

Went to the range Thursday to do some sight in checks and it was 62*.  That night it started dropping and the rain moved in then sleet and finally snow with +20 mph gusts and 14* temps.  Total, 2"+ of stuff on the ground and temps in the teens and due to go to single digits tonight......  Man I want this over......

gunsrus
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Ed IMG_0587.JPG

How long is the driveway at your Maine "camp" Al?

Quite a melt. I had a good solid iced base to the gravel driveway, which is good for plowing. No more. Can't see past garage but I have long run...At least I won't have to spread too much sand when everything freezes up later today.

We are also looking into an auto generator for our house. Portable works great , but we also need peace of mind when away for any length of time in winter.

Brad , driveway is about 100 yards . The guy that plows does a good job and usually sands the gravel driveway . He was waiting till today after the rain subsides to sand . Timing is everything . 

Auto generator seems the only solution . I'm not there all the time and have to have piece of mind . Should have done it last year . 

On another note , got home this afternoon from a cousin's funeral and saw water spouting from the irrigation flow pipe that the sump pumps into . 

Dug up the other end about 30 yards away and to was frozen solid in the gravel pit . 22 years ago and never had this happen before . I'm thinking we never had sub zero temps for such a long period without snow cover insulating . This winter sucks !

Ben Hong

In the 5 hours since I posted last, the temps have dropped from 60 F to 30 F. Damn cold with the breeze.

Brad Eden
4 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Brad , driveway is about 100 yards . The guy that plows does a good job and usually sands the gravel driveway . He was waiting till today after the rain subsides to sand . Timing is everything . 

Auto generator seems the only solution . I'm not there all the time and have to have piece of mind . Should have done it last year . 

On another note , got home this afternoon from a cousin's funeral and saw water spouting from the irrigation flow pipe that the sump pumps into . 

Dug up the other end about 30 yards away and to was frozen solid in the gravel pit . 22 years ago and never had this happen before . I'm thinking we never had sub zero temps for such a long period without snow cover insulating . This winter sucks !

Thats about the length of mine, including the round about. Even with the melt it will need some sand put down. Temps plunged to 15 degrees and everything is frozen. I went out and had to wrench my truck doors open. Better to free them now than when it's 2 degrees in morning. Some friends in the area have flooded basements. Some of those were finished basements. A real cluster for them. I am thrilled that my walk in basement doesn't take on water. The basement in the old farmhouse we sold 6 or so years ago flooded bad during these type events. It was a nightmare.

dogrunner

Still cold here. 

0E4BE322-4FB2-416C-B9E9-731E72F7291A.jpeg

6F7110B4-20A0-48EA-9656-747623649066.jpeg

Larry Brown

Dogrunner, that's warm.  Weatherman predicted -23 for a low, and the porch thermometer agrees.  Thaw was of short duration, although another one coming near the end of this week.  Shot a short round of sporting clays yesterday morning (50 birds) in balmy minus single digit temps.