• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

Lars
1 hour ago, Felix said:

Even the Snowman is snowed in.

Snowman.JPG.9e7db90d036cb1ef49c26a3c6e193c2c.JPG

Kinda funny.    Sorry.

bobman

girly men

terrym

I worry about how this will damage our deer herds. We're still in recovery mode from 3 brutal winters. 

henryrski

We are suffering here in FL too. Not going above 65 during the day and drops to mid 50s at night. But we will soldier on.

Canuck

"girly men"

says the guy from Georgia, lol.

ScottGrush
2 hours ago, Felix said:

About 15 degrees here in Erie, PA. Not too bad. The problem is snow.  After a record setting 66" over Christmas weekend, we got another 12" last night.  UGH! This is starting to get serious. Even the Snowman is snowed in.

Snowman.JPG.9e7db90d036cb1ef49c26a3c6e193c2c.JPG

The house may be next.  

5a47b029a905a_SnowHouse.JPG.07b71410b2323e3270b532a80f1d80eb.JPG  Happy New Year.

We are well over 100" for December.  That's our yearly average.

That's good news for your grouse. 

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, terrym said:

I worry about how this will damage our deer herds. We're still in recovery mode from 3 brutal winters. 

They appear to be starting to yard up in mid-Maine already. I have a deer yard at the tip of my property. The first year we were at this new to us place was 2014 during a horrendous winter. A good sized herd stayed in an area under green growth ona hillside for most of that winter. No casualties from weather or coyotes from what I could see.They only traveled through the area two winters after. I'm just now seeing tell tale tracks in the deep snow that they may be moving in again.

Samuel Hoggson

Six of us fools showed up at the Hermon club this AM.  Only thing we shot was the bull.  We're good at it.  Master class, really.

Got home then took the dogs for a spin on Tubbs.  Summertime a 35" walk, today 75".  Didn't cut one deer track.  We purposefully avoid where my stand sits cuz they yard there more often than not.  They've had several consecutive "easy" winters now.  Saw more this year than ever, but imagine we're due.         

dogrunner

Cold here but I’m not a girly man.  Dress for it and go out and find something to do. I get to shoot tomorrow morning for the trap league supposed to be 5 degrees, that should be a good time. 😳

84638650-3AF1-4ACC-B39C-77C611BE0305.jpeg

B959F347-6795-406D-914B-72A4FFD724DB.jpeg

Huntschool

Dogrunner:  What ya cookin there buddy?

Though not as cold as some of my northern friends we should reach minus temps tomorrow and New Years eve.  Wind chill will make it worse.  I am too old for this crap.  

This is really, really unusual for us.  Last winter our lake barely froze over for 3 days......  Got good, you'll have bad I guess.

dogrunner

Country ribs. 

13C5B513-7E0D-407E-9FAC-D914E1276A3D.jpeg

6ED2A677-D77F-41E9-9E43-EF5C90E8C9DC.jpeg

Dave in Maine

Went ice fishing today.  -22F on the truck thermometer at dawn on the way in;  got the same reading from the weatherman so we knew it was accurate.  My partner's lab got out of the truck, started rolling on his back in the snow.  You know it's too cold for the dog when he won't walk and acts like the ground burns his feet.

Fished until noon.  4 keeper pike, a lot of flags.  Probably hammerhandles doing the grab-run-and-drop when they realized the bait was too big.  18 inches of ice, more or less.  (Some years, there isn't safe ice this time of year.)  We were really bummed when it was 2 above as we were pulling out, figuring we'd get the whole trip below zero.  Serious facial hair icicles.  Worked out OK as long as we kept moving. Blessedly, there was next to no wind and the sun was actually warm.

And, no, we were not the only idiots out there fishing.

On the coyote front, saw a good number of tracks, mostly either following woods edges along the highway or running along streams and other open areas.

On the merchandise front, I can definitely give my highest recommendation to Cabela's Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram thinsulate 12 inch boots.  Wearing those boots and one pair of heavy wool socks, my feet were toasty warm and comfortable all day.  Got them on a clearance special for $107, down from $170-something.

polecat

5.2 here in Pa. tonite. Had a nice muzzleloader hunt today, one doe came home.The snow was squeaky at 10 deg. this morning.Trying to get the house up to 70 before before turning in.

Dave in Maine
1 minute ago, polecat said:

5.2 here in Pa. tonite. Had a nice muzzleloader hunt today, one doe came home.The snow was squeaky at 10 deg. this morning.Trying to get the house up to 70 before before turning in.

Well done - you earned that deer.  Is that season still flintlock-only, or did the PGC relent?  

polecat

Deer not mine, one of our hunting party.Very pressured deer in NJ. federal land DWGNRA. Inlines are legal, this year they do not allow 2 does one buck and 1 doe with proper tags. It appears that the inlines are taking more deer in the last few years than expected so they pulled the reins in.I am OK with that.I will post a little ditty of some luck I had the day after Christmas. Currently sizzling some loin and onions on this chilly night.