• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

sneem

Cold here in KS too. Going down to -11 tonight and tomorrow's high is predicted to be 2. Good day to stay in and watch football.

Treerooster

I live on the plains of Colorado, at about 4000 feet. Cold here, single digits and some below zero the more east you go. We are on the edge of this article cold.

We went up to our place in the mountains today. Up to 8500 feet. It's 35 to 40 degrees warmer up there. Kind of strange to go higher in the hills to warm up.

Ben Hong

Almost every place in Canada has cancelled its outdoor celebratory activities for new years eve because of the cold clear across the country. It’s Canada fercrissakes!

Brad Eden

Some cancellations make sense...from Bangor Daily News:

The annual Lobster Dip at Old Orchard Beach in Maine on New Year’s Day has been rescheduled for the first time in 30 years. The event, which raises money for the Special Olympics in Maine, will now be held Jan. 13. Organizers said they were concerned about the safety of the swimmers.

Organizers of another event in Maine, the Polar Bear Dip and Dash, said the 5K run in Portland will still take place on Dec. 31 but the dip into Casco Bay was cancelled.

“This is the first time we have had to do this, but after consulting with medical professionals we think it is just too cold to jump into the ocean this Sunday,” 

Samuel Hoggson

My son got in late last evening after riding his rocket from here to the Forks and back.  Has 2nd degree frostbite on his chin.  One sled had to be towed back.  The group decided to bag it till the temps are more friendly.  They're pretty hard core, so it must be awful at speed.  Snowshoes are plenty fast for me.    

gunsrus
3 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

My son got in late last evening after riding his rocket from here to the Forks and back.  Has 2nd degree frostbite on his chin.  One sled had to be towed back.  The group decided to bag it till the temps are more friendly.  They're pretty hard core, so it must be awful at speed.  Snowshoes are plenty fast for me.    

That there is damn cold !

Brad Eden

-10 this AM. Balmy considering the forecast was for -14 give or take. Yesterday afternoon I drove out to some covers with Cash. We parked and walked the road in for maybe 20 minutes. Cash was fine, popping off into the deep snow. But it was ridiculously cold and the exercise was more ceremonial than anything else; to end the season on our boots and paws. Drove out peering into the stringy aspens to nod goodbyes to any budding grouse, but they were apparently in snow burrows...I'm toast as Uplander would say. I have some coyote baiting, calling, hunting planned. Maybe some snowshoe hare hunting if I get an invite from my Beagle friends. Otherwise it's hunker down, snow and ice and cold time...dreaming of spring gobbler season.

Dogwood

Keep the boss VERY happy ;) and get you some of these:

Flannel sheets

WPG Gizmo

Called out last night for black ice at 9:30 got back in at 1:30 likely get called out tonight also which is not going to make Paula happy as she has plans for us to go out.  One good thing about this cold is it is making plenty of ice for fishing:)

pa'tridge hunters

Thankfully the wind hasn't been blowing too hard.

Birdcountry70

-12 here right now,  supposed to drop to -25 tonight and the endless wind on top of that makes it really suck..... er... blow!  Funny thing,  the wind is coming from an unusual direction which has blown my parking spot down to bare gravel while burying my wifes spot in 4+ feet. Seemed funny to me anyway. 

Hettmoe

CF98F1B9-E9DF-44A4-AB17-3A4F9796324F.thumb.jpeg.344ee66d5cca0c7786a6e7be67f4fee5.jpeg

Canuck

Time to warm things up inside too it appears!

Happy new year.

ccavacini

Was heading to Iowa for a last pheasant/quail trip Thurs, Fri. Sat, come home Sunday.  Called off because of the weather.  Time to hang up the vest and shotguns.

Jack L

-18 when I woke up this am. Up to a sunny  -16 . Birds were safe yesterday and today.   Go back to work tomorrow after a 2 week vacation.  It'll get warmer then for sure .