• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

Craig Conroy

Twenty below at 8:00 this morning when I finally bothered to look.  It's not interesting anymore, after two weeks of it.  My Son-in Law went out and wandered about for a while Saturday at -5 for a high .  He did see Grouse tracks, but flushed no birds.  I'm for giving them a pass 'til next fall.

Brad Eden

-12 upon coffee time.

As mentioned somewhere, I have a mile or so of trails out back  I keep them tamped down in winter for hikes with the dogs. Typically the resident deer stay way out past the trails during most of the year, and yard up back there during hard winters. I keep trail cameras strewn about so can keep tabs on critters and get very few deer photos in spring, summer of fall. Right now with the 2 foot snowpack and stupid cold temperatures they are all over my tamped down trails, even walking along my yard and within 40 or so yards of the garage. Very unusual. They are traveling around looking for browse apparently. I haven't been way out back to check for any serious yarding up yet. 

OH Grouser

A frosty -12 here this morning as well, the weatherman says we may be back to normal in about a week. I think this is the first weekend since October that we haven't been in the grouse woods. Maggie dog comes in long enough to thaw out her feet, then wants right back outside to chase the song birds and squirrels away from the feeder.

Out back, the creek is frozen from bank to bank. Not often that happens, but it's sure cold enough right now to do it.

Roger

5a4a6d2fd5080_20180101_1143111.thumb.jpg.0de418d5fc4751f371db1ece9ff3c971.jpg

Lars

17 degrees here this morning and a guy is skateboarding down the street in shorts, no hat no gloves.  I notified the psychiatric ward. 

Brad Eden
17 minutes ago, Lars said:

17 degrees here this morning and a guy is skateboarding down the street in shorts, no hat no gloves.  I notified the psychiatric ward. 

Larry....Knowing all to well your need for warm, bluebird sky days, I am glad you aren't up here anymore enduring this prolonged freeze. You would be on the ledge!

Lars
1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

Larry....Knowing all to well your need for warm, bluebird sky days, I am glad you aren't up here anymore enduring this prolonged freeze. You would be on the ledge!

And by February I'd be over the edge.  :-)

Cubby

Getting tired of this. Weather is supposed to moderate to mid -20s C this week.

20171227_074336.jpg

25/06

Remo....You win!

My Brother is in Nashville area and they were single digits over night.

I think they are having a harder time with that than we do with these temps

but it is no fun for anyone!

Hope everyone stays safe.

temp.jpg

braque du upstate

I went steelheading twice in the single digits.  Fish played nice.  Wet hands suck the life out of me. Teens I can tolerate.  Shoveling kind of sucks. The pup doesn't seem to mind the snow until it's time to pee. I'm sorta over it. Teens and twenties will do. 

bmeador

3 degrees here in Prospect,  VA at first light this AM.

Millriver

Might be the coldest morning yet here in Western Massachusetts 

IMG_2599.JPG

gunsrus

It's 20 degrees here so far today . It's like a heatwave considering where we've been . Good day to take in all the Christmas lights , expecting 12''-14'' here tomorrow .

Marc Ret

It was -11 when I took Max out for his morning constitutional two days ago. -8 this a.m. 15deg at the moment. No snow forecasted but filled up the generator/snowblower gas cans yesterday just in case. Had my second cataract surgery middle of last week and been fighting a nasty cold for the last few days. Max doesn't seem to care I feel like shit, he just wants to go out and play. So much for a dog's love!

Birds have been hitting my feeders hard. It's amazing to see how dozens of tiny feet constantly walking on snow can compact it. We had 6" of snow on Saturday and the birds have a roughly 10' diameter circle compacted under each feeder. While filling the feeders this morning, I noticed my 225 lbs didn't even make an impression. Very cool. 

Curt

Ugh!  Seeing those screen shots of the thermometers makes me cringe, never been a big cold weather fan.  Saw on the internet this morning that it was 0 degrees at home in PA.  I'm in my 5th wheel down here in northern florida for the next 10 weeks but it's been no day at the beach so far.  Temps hovering around 40 in the day and down to 27 degrees tonight and it won't quit raining.  I want to see a warm up, and soon.

Huntschool

Hope you guys on the upper East coast are ready for this round of stuff starting tonight..... sounds like it could get a bit rough from South Jersey North to Maine......  Time to get down and cover up and be careful.

We have warmed up to a balmy 25* as of a few minutes ago, that from lows at 0* or a bit below with day time highs in the teens.  That is a cold SOB for us for this time of year.......

Just sayin...........