FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

mccuha

If I’m hunting I don’t mind it.  It takes a little to get used to. 

dogrunner

Don’t let this happen to you. 

AD53FA77-D819-4BAB-9383-D8D96453C598.jpeg

OceanRoamer

Balmy 62 here on the Central Coast. Of course there was an “slight” earthquake north of us this morning....and those fires south of us a few weeks back....and there’s talk of a drought returning....but hey, on balance 👍😎.

1B19C50F-F3DA-429B-A353-C2A8FF5F2463.png

gunsrus

Damn , took me 5 hours to clean up the yard . Finished around 10pm and went to bed with my friend "Tramadol" . I'm getting too old for this shit ! Now bring on the sub zero temps for three days and give me Monday and all next week in the 30's , a heat wave !

Brad Eden

Wow, what a blow we had. No idea of how much snow with all the drifting. Foot maybe, more? No way to keep up with it, and it kept cranking pretty much all night. Warmer temps with this Blizzard. The wind is just now settling down...before the temps drop to stupid cold again. I went out and cleared paths and some driveway with snowthrower last evening. Mostly snowed back in. Coffee, then I need to get JoAnn to work at her hospital shift. Will probably just 4x4 it out driveway in truck with one plow push and drive her to work. Come home and start the clean-up. Like Al said, I'm getting too old for this. It's a miracle, we never lost Power. Even with a good portable generator that would have made this Blizzard event a much bigger hassle.

RMH

Waiting for daylight to start cleaning out with shovel and snow blower. In the first post of this topic Brad mentioned it's no use complaining about the weather. Depending on where you live this current stretch is either not to far out side the traditional normal to "what the heck"! My son in northern Floridia had pipes freeze and break a couple days ago.

Now here on the west bank near the head waters of the north branch of Marsh Stream, about a mile and a half off Moose Head Trail [ that sounds so much cooler and more interesting than a mail box number and road for an address]  I'd say this weather is much like it was when I came to Maine in the 1970's. It got cold in November and mostly stayed that way. Once there was a snow cover it lasted until March, into April in the woods. The snow banks got so high you could't go off the road if you tried. If you started to slide while driving you bounced off snow banks like in a pin ball machine. At this point in life for me this kind of prolonged stretch of winter weather looses it's" yippie" effect real quick. I use to love it, why I can't really remember anymore. 

The daylight is breaking outside so time to get at it. My best buddy and pretend bird dog [ Weimeraner-Brittany mix] must get outside. He'll last about 10 minutes and want to go back inside. He watches me clear the door yard from the window next to the wood stove. Happy shoveling, stay warm.

gunsrus

I'm with you Brad , thank God we didn't lose power . The trees are swamped with snow . 

Felix

When I was watching the news last night parts of Boston looked terrible. Flooding then freezing. When you add high winds in with snow it raises the chance of power outages. That can be real bad.

Stay warm and safe eastcoasters.

Lars

Crimany.   The snow rakes must be flying off the shelves. 

dogrunner

2B55C675-F321-4755-90FD-9C8C8D54784E.jpeg

Brad Eden
4 hours ago, RMH said:

Now here on the west bank near the head waters of the north branch of Marsh Stream, about a mile and a half off Moose Head Trail [ that sounds so much cooler and more interesting than a mail box number and road for an address]  

Welcome to the Board neighbor, and I mean that literally. I know Marsh Stream and Moose Head Trail well.

Coalman

I used to keep our generator in the cellar where it stayed in relative 60 degree temps but what a PITA it was to get it outside so this year when I started it up for winter prep I put it back in our shed.

With last nights howling NW wind and the below zero wind chill temps losing power was of great concern. So after snow blowing and cleaning the yard last night my last duty was to start the generator.

It has been below zero every night for over a week but the Honda did not disappoint. Let it run for about five and shut 'er down. I slept well last night knowing if we lost power we would be ready.

Power never went out. Whew!

Thinking about my age and a manual generator you can bet this summer we will be looking for the backyard automatic propane model.

Even though we have only lost power about a dozen times since the house was wired with a GenTrans in 2005 I consider the mental benefit will outweigh the monetary investment.

Brad Eden

Got JoAnn to work by 7:45 in Belfast, and just finished plowing, snowthrowing and shoveling. I'm very particular and the final result is like landscaping...Jo Ann push shoveled the deck this AM. (Her only wintertime responsibility and she hates it.) All left to do is rake front roof and push that snow off deck, and later strap on some snowshoes and reclaim some of our walking and dog pooping trails. Now comes the cold again for a couple days, then a warm up next week. 

Our drive conversation on way to her work involved what we would need to do to prepare the house and property if we started LEAVING THIS STATE for a month or more during winter. 

Felix
4 hours ago, RMH said:

. My best buddy and pretend bird dog [ Weimeraner-Brittany mix] must get outside. He'll last about 10 minutes and want to go back inside. He watches me clear the door yard from the window next to the wood stove.

Weim / Britt mix ??  That's the first of those I've heard about.  Well, he's got birddog on both sides.

I don't want to start a discussion on "mixed" birddogs and at the risk of going off topic, but, got a picture?

Brad Eden
7 minutes ago, Coalman said:

I used to keep our generator in the cellar where it stayed in relative 60 degree temps but what a PITA it was to get it outside so this year when I started it up for winter prep I put it back in our shed.

With last nights howling NW wind and the below zero wind chill temps losing power was of great concern. So after snow blowing and cleaning the yard last night my last duty was to start the generator.

It has been below zero every night for over a week but the Honda did not disappoint. Let it run for about five and shut 'er down. I slept well last night knowing if we lost power we would be ready.

Power never went out. Whew!

Thinking about my age and a manual generator you can bet this summer we will be looking for the backyard automatic propane model.

Even though we have only lost power about a dozen times since the house was wired with a GenTrans in 2005 I consider the mental benefit will outweigh the monetary investment.

I keep my Portable Generac 7500E in my walk in basement. I'm lucky since it's easy to wheel right out the door to the gravel pad under deck. I did wheel it out a couple days ago and started it and let it run for a bit. Even though I add additive to gas, I like to make sure it's ready for any event like we had yesterday and last night.

Funny, we are also planning on getting an auto standby generator. I work at home so the Portable is pretty good and powers the whole house. But if we end up going south, or southwest, as we hope to for stretches in winter, we need the peace of mind of an auto unit.