FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brad Eden

THE BIG CHILL

gunsrus
19 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0580.JPG

-9 upon dawn. Tundra still starting, but I'm buying a jump starter as a backup given this winters personality. I like a well landscaped snowscape...rough in with plow...tweak with the snowthrower and finish with elbow (shovel) grease. Warming up this week to more tolerable conditions.

it does look beautiful when it's done but it's a lot of work .

Millriver

Coldest morning yet. 10 inches of snow here on Thursday, wind and cold the last 2 days, need to snowblow again once it warms up. Looks like a January thaw this week, if you want to call 2 days in the 40's a "thaw". That will only let us catch our breath here and give the furnace a break.

IMG_2601.JPG

Samuel Hoggson

- 9 here (hilltop). 

Tomorrow night prediction = 2".  Thurs supposed to get rain, then cold again. 

Hmmm.........maybe best not to move white stuff Tuesday AM.  

bmeador

Southside Virginia this morning.

20180107_075328.jpg

Millriver
4 minutes ago, bmeador said:

Southside Virginia this morning.

20180107_075328.jpg

Yikes! That's cold anywhere, let alone in Virginia!

Lars

Blek. 

Brad Eden

IMG_0581.JPG

Warmed up from -12 to about 2 degrees here this morning. Nice morning service at our tiny church, then home and a snowshoe hike on the trails out back. Cash is impervious to cold and deep snow. Sure he will stop to wait for me with a paw up if wicked cold, or will stop to chew snowballs from his pads, but powers through over two feet of snow before I tamp it down with snowshoes. His bench/field breeding resulting in long legs help a lot. And...all BS aside, and I hate to hotspot any breed...but this litttle Luna Cavalier KC Spaniel is the bomb. She absolutely thinks she is the equal of her big bro Cash. She will literally swim over her head in the snow, with no complaint, no whining, just enthusiasm. She refuses to stay behind me as I pack down trails and I have to pick her up and carry her when it's so deep she disappears. Lapdog, certainly. A sporty game little thing. Absolutely. 

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0581.JPG

Warmed up from -12 to about 2 degrees here this morning. Nice morning service at our tiny church, then home and a snowshoe hike on the trails out back. Cash is impervious to cold and deep snow. Sure he will stop to wait for me with a paw up if wicked cold, or will stop to chew snowballs from his pads, but powers through over two feet of snow before I tamp it down with snowshoes. His bench/field breeding resulting in long legs help a lot. And...all BS aside, and I hate to hotspot any breed...but this litttle Luna Cavalier KC Spaniel is the bomb. She absolutely thinks she is the equal of her big bro Cash. She will literally swim over her head in the snow, with no complaint, no whining, just enthusiasm. She refuses to stay behind me as I pack down trails and I have to pick her up and carry her when it's so deep she disappears. Lapdog, certainly. A sporty game little thing. Absolutely. 

Enthusiasm is the key word in your description.  That enthusiasm is what makes dogs (and horses) such a special part of our lives.  It has a lot to do with our appreciation of other people too.  The two young hunters/fishermen that I mentor bring a tidal wave of excitement and enthusiasm into my life and I feel far younger in the process.

Perk

Dave in Maine

Well, the cold finally took the battery in my car.  Then again, I've got nothing to complain about - I got 5+ years out of a Sears DieHard, all in Maine, parked outside in all kinds of weather.   AAA guy was sold out of batteries (everyone's needed them this week) so I went over to Wally World (w/ a friend) and saved $50 over AAA's price.

Brad Eden

11 degrees right now. I'm gonna take the dogs for their morning poop run in my underwear!

So far so good with the Tundra starting on these sub zero mornings, even though I keep it outside. But I'm buying a jump starter this week.

Dave in Maine
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

11 degrees right now. I'm gonna take the dogs for their morning poop run in my underwear!

So far so good with the Tundra starting on these sub zero mornings, even though I keep it outside. But I'm buying a jump starter this week.

It feels like summer out there, 13 above this morning.

Samuel Hoggson

14 here.  Think I'll walk the dogs, swim them in the pond, grill up some venison steaks this evening.

Marc Ret
3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

No pictures, please🙏

topdog1961
15 hours ago, Dave in Maine said:

Well, the cold finally took the battery in my car.  Then again, I've got nothing to complain about - I got 5+ years out of a Sears DieHard, all in Maine, parked outside in all kinds of weather.   AAA guy was sold out of batteries (everyone's needed them this week) so I went over to Wally World (w/ a friend) and saved $50 over AAA's price.

You'll be glad you did. I've had very good luck with Walmart batteries. That's all I buy now. 

Felix

Highs were in the single digits this past weekend. But, we warmed up enough to get freezing rain this morning.  Tonight that will all freeze solid and crust over the 2 to 3' of snow on the ground. That will be very bad for wildlife.  It is supposed to continue warming the next few days up to 50 degrees by Wednesday or Thursday which may help.