FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
tarheel5

Garmin Alpha

tarheel5

I am looking for some feedback as I am moving two running two dogs and want to go with gps tracking is the best one the Garmin alpha?

greg jacobs

I have an alpha and like it. There is also the dogtra pathfinder. I think they have worked through some of the beginning issues. You have to have aux power for your phone to make it through a day. They weren't able to do something with a two dog setup. Someone might be able to elaborate.

dogrunner

Alpha has worked good for me for the last 4 or 5 years. 

gunsrus

Alpha 

Craig Doherty

Another vote for Alpha -- I have two, plus three tt-15 minis, plus a t-5 mini, and a full size t-5.  I also carry a spare Alpha battery in my bag as well as a car charger.  Considering the amount of use mine get I find the redundancy necessary but rarely needed.  There have been a few times when I have forgotten to charge my Alpha and have had to switch to the back-up or more likely the back-up battery during the day.  When training I often run a couple dogs at a time hence the multiple collars.  Haven't had to send back a mini since I got them when they first came out.  A buddy had one STB but it was quickly replaced.  In my mind the basic kit for the hunter should be one Alpha and a spare battery plus two tt-15 mini collars.  That way when your on the trip of a life time it's not going to be spoiled by an equipment failure.  During the season I charge the units I used each night.

forestdump

I run an astro 220 with dc40 collars may move to a 320 this summer may not. But the Astro works great as a gps tracking device. I’ve also played with the pathfinder and that worked great and it’s cheaper. If I didn’t have anything I’d go with the pathfinder.  

Dave Quindt

I got the sense a new model is imminent, most likely from Garmin, in the next few months.  I'll be watching the SHOT show press releases; would;t be surprised if it's released there.