• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
67diesel

Training options

67diesel

I have a nearly 3year old pointer that needs to get steadied on birds.  I got her at a year and a half old as kind of a field trial reject.  I say “kind of” because she had some kind of accident that required her right eye being removed.  Anyway, we have had 2grouse seasons in Michigan and yet to shoot one that she has pointed.  She caught one on the ground and pointed a couple woodcock that I shot.  

My goal in 2018 is to go out of state for a 2week hunting trip and would like her to be far more polished than she is now.  The problem is that she is terribly attached to me, and me to her.  She has a spot on a 3 month bird training boot camp in one of the southern states with a very reputable trainer. Do dogs go into a funk if they are away from their owner and kind of shut down?  What are my options as far as self training with a NAVHDA type group or maybe a more local trainer?  I’m not a field trialer, just a hunter looking for a good honest dog that I can be proud of and trying to do something to get Chubby ready for our big trip next fall.   Thanks, Jim