• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
jackh

2018 Subaru Forester - Pulled Trigger

jackh

Sort of a spin off from the SUV topic: after a couple months of intense deliberation, I pulled the trigger on a 2018 Forester.  Rather, my wife pulled it for me, for I'm on the other side of the world. I had thought about waiting till I returned in March, then paying about 75% up front and financing the rest.  But, since Subaru is offering 0% till Jan 2, I wanted to seal a deal now.  I keep my $ in savings gaining interest for me, and I'll let them use their money with me paying no interest.  I LOVE 0% INTEREST :-)

It is interesting how technology continues to shrink the globe.  I'm here, but via Internet research, I was able to ID the exact vehicle I wanted in a dealership 40 miles from where we live.  Since this was a sister Subaru dealership (owned by the same conglomerate as the one in the town where we live), my wife went to the local dealership and dealt with a salesman we've known for 10 years.

I sat in my desert hooch, and utilizing FaceTime, my wife brought me into the dealings several times in order to ensure all was as I like.  I totally trust her dealings (she is better than I), but since this vehicle is mine, it was best I was in on the details.  This was a very interesting and fun process...  Who'd have thought the world would come to this 20 years ago?  Amazing...

I opted for the Premium trim with the All Weather Package and StarLink; I ensured I had X Mode.  Although I like white vehicles, I thought the Forester - in white - was too bright, especially with the chrome, etc.  Subsequently, I opted for silver - another favorite car color.  Naturally, I won't pull any trailer of significance, but I had the tow package factory installed, so my harnesses, etc., was correct.  

I'll add AT tires and maybe a 1 1/2" lift when I get back and - presto - I'll be set in my 32mpg hunting wagon, ready to travel the country in search of feathered quarry, and the rise of a hungry trout :-) 

Maybe I'll make it up to Brad's neck of the woods and see the corporate headquarters of the world renowned talk forum - The Upland Journal :-)

I did fly out of Bangor on my way out of the US; I made certain I went outside the airport and walked around to feel the ground of Maine underfoot.  There was a large contingency of Maine veterans there to see us off; they monitor when troop flights come thru and ensure they greet them, then wave good-bye - VERY CLASSY I thought!  

Not sure if we'll come back through Bangor - but I really hope we do...

spinfly

Congratulations, enjoy the new ride !

Wes Stueber

When you return this spring and get a feel for your new Subaru, let us know what you think of it, will you?  (You should be home in time for KS spring turkey season.)

Happy New Year to you over there, Jack!  All the best.

Brittman

garyRI
17 hours ago, jackh said:

I thought the Forester - in white - was too bright, especially with the chrome, etc.  Subsequently, I opted for silver - another favorite car color.  Naturally, I won't pull any trailer of significance, but I had the tow package factory installed, so my harnesses, etc., was correct.  

I'll add AT tires and maybe a 1 1/2" lift when I get back and - presto - I'll be set in my 32mpg hunting wagon, ready to travel the country in search of feathered quarry, and the rise of a hungry trout :-) 

I try for white when I buy any vehicle. Think it safer for night driving.

Re: any Subaru lift. How are you going to do it without voiding the warranty? Last time I asked dealerships don't offer lifts. 

Harry

With 8.7in of ground clearance there would be few times a lift would be advantageous. For comparison a Toyota 4Runner has 9in.

Bede

I have a 2017, more or less the same car, did you get the EyeSight package? The lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, and distance pacing cruise control have all been a revelation to me. 

You mentioned 32mpg, suggesting that is important to you. You may want to hold off on the life, which will reduce MPG and probably won't get you much in capability. It has 8.7 inches of clearance as is, about the same as the Cherokee Trailhawk, and lifting it isn't going to turn it into a real off-roader anyway. However, it is very capable as-is. 

Enjoy the car, I love mine. Nolonger miss my truck. 

jackh

Thanks all - I'm pretty stoked and ready to get back to "life".

Wes - yep, I'll be back in time to run to the homeplace in Texas for some gobbler action, then hunt KS gobblers as well.  I got a nice central KS gobbler last year; I put it to bed and the next morning called it from the roost, across about 250 yards of broken prairie and thickets, then had it strutting at 20 yards.  I wanted to use my bow, but the way it came in and was working, I was afraid I couldn't draw without spooking it.  So, it fell prey to my Browning Evolve instead :-)

Not 100% sure I'll put a small lift on the Subie, but thinking about it.  Regarding the warranty, it has been my experience that a company cannot (and would not) void a warranty simply because of small aftermarket modifications.  I have tested this with numerous vehicles, i.e., Jeeps, Chevy's, etc.  I spoke to Jeep prior to modifying one and they told me they couldn't simply void a warranty due to a modification.  (I believe the laws protect us pretty good in these instances.) They related, if a person made a modification that truly caused issues, such as putting on a lift and then began having issues with the drive line or suspension, they can say the modification is causing the issues and we are not fixing them (with warranty), because it is self induced.  

I agree, the lift would dampen the mpg a little; research has shown me it is minimal, but every little bit does matter.  The AT tires will hit me a little as well, but again very minimally.

I didn't get the EyeSight package.  I really didn't want to spend the $ on it, although, I do see how it could be useful.  I just got the All Weather, StarLink, and X Mode; these were the most important to me. 

I told my wife and daughter not to sniff all the "new car" smell out of it before I get home. :-)  I don't have much faith here...lol 

Brad Eden

Congrats on the new ride. We are still contemplating a Subaru in the not too distant future. Bangor airport is very cool and known worldwide for the Troop Greeters. As far as the Upland Journal Corporate office...think a corner in a small spare bedroom. :o

garyRI
2 hours ago, jackh said:

Not 100% sure I'll put a small lift on the Subie, but thinking about it.  Regarding the warranty, it has been my experience that a company cannot (and would not) void a warranty simply because of small aftermarket modifications.  I have tested this with numerous vehicles, i.e., Jeeps, Chevy's, etc.  I spoke to Jeep prior to modifying one and they told me they couldn't simply void a warranty due to a modification.  (I believe the laws protect us pretty good in these instances.) They related, if a person made a modification that truly caused issues, such as putting on a lift and then began having issues with the drive line or suspension, they can say the modification is causing the issues and we are not fixing them (with warranty), because it is self induced.

Before I bought our leftover 2015 Forester I found a great deal on a used Imprezza and briefly looked into lifting it. I don't think it is easy as dealing with a jeep.

jackh

I agree - little more to it than a Jeep. I've had a bunch of them (still have my old 92, 5-speed manual Cherokee). 

They are like working on an old tractor - even I could do it :-)

Jazz4Brazo

Congrats on your new ride and thanks for your service....Happy New Year!

J4B

Dogwood

Plenty of threads on Subaru forums on lifting fwiw.  Regardless you will enjoy your new Subie.