garyRI

Savage smokeless ML doe @150 yards

garyRI

First chance to use my Savage at a range >100 yards. I've been watching a couple does come out in the evening in a field closer to houses than I usually hunt. Distance to houses is legal and I'm the only hunter with permission on the 150 acres, but I try not to be seen. Talked to the one homeowner I didn't know and he said OK. Set up a simple pallet blind 160 yards from the pasture treeline. Walking to my blind at 3 PM and saw a couple does at the treeline when I was 300 yards away. Walked slowly to my blind, leaned up against a fence post and shot the smaller animal. Dropped like a rock. Hit higher than I planned, it was 10-15 yards from the treeline and I was holding for 160,  but still clipped a lung. Bigger than I thought it would be. Gave it to one of the farm managers. I'm satisfied now that the Savage is wrung out to 200 yards. The special late anterless ML season is over in a couple days but I can still hunt bucks and does during the bow season that lasts until the end of January.

deer 12 31.JPG

WPG Gizmo

Nice shot

Birdcountry70

Good job! 

polecat

Nice gun and congrats on stickin it out in the cold weather.

garyRI
3 hours ago, polecat said:

Nice gun and congrats on stickin it out in the cold weather.

I can bow/crossbow hunt deer until the end of the month but this wx is giving me an opportunity to test my gear combinations to see what allows me to sit/hunt in these temps gun hunting coyotes.

Brad Eden

I didn't realize all the deer opportunities and lengthy seasons in RI. Nice job.

garyRI
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I didn't realize all the deer opportunities and lengthy seasons in RI. Nice job.

Archery starts in Oct and overlaps all seasons until end of January, ML in November (rut!!!!! and why I invested in the Savage) and in the zone I hunt I can take two of each sex. AND an out of state license is only about 50 bucks.