• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
garyRI

Input on cold wx "stand" outfit.

garyRI

I can hunt here in RI until the end of January, and being retired I get out A LOT. My age (70) might be the reason but my current outerwear isn't keeping me comfortable in the slightly raised blinds I typically use. I am down to two options. Cabelas Extreme Stand Hunter with extreme stand hunter bibbed pants. Other option is Cabelas Extreme Hunter Coveralls. I often wear a harness and the coveralls seem like a better option for that reason. I figure I'm not the only older guy hunting in the cold. Opinions?

Harry

Sitka Fanatic or if it is really cold and you are stationary Sitka incinerator. Have the Fanatic and the incinerator must be an oven. 

Been out and moving with the Fanatic down into the low teens and stay comfortable. 

NW River Mac

I would seriously look into some battery powered under garments.  I have an old timer friend who will rabbit hunt with us.  There are times when you can be stationary on the ground for quite a while and and the next hour you'll be walking and nice and toasty.  So you have to dress for moderate weather.  This guy has battery power socks and some type of mid section wrap or shirt that he'll turn on when he chill starts to set in. There is nothing worse than giving up a hunt because you're cold or wet and these things do it for him.  I know lots of ski patrollers who use heated insoles in their ski boots and love them.  They don't know why they waited so long to get them.

UplandHntr

Yes Milwaukee Tools makes very nice battery heated jackets etc. my son wears them when working outside construction. Very happy with it 

WMassGriff

Heater Body Suit. If not warm enough take some chemical heat packs and drop them down the legs and you will be toasty. 

dogrunner

Always wear your harness.  

garyRI

Getting into a heater body suit while in a tree stand is a challenge i would prefer to avoid. Keeping feet warm has been easy since I watched my Dad put on felt insulated boots 60 years ago. This AM I sat for coyotes for an hour in 2F in a windy spot over a gut pile from a doe I shot a few days ago. Wearing felt insulated bean style boots, thinsulate insulated wool malone bibs & Columbia quad parka. My feet were not going to get cold but I could feel the wind & I think another hour would have been max. Looking at electric heated vests on Amazon pricing is all over the place. Milwaukee most expensive. I wonder if the less expensive manufacturers are worth the risk.

Lurch

I've been using the Heater Body Suit for 3 years now. It takes some doing to get my feet into it while in the stand (due to my girth in the middle, not due to the suit), but the biggest challenge is staying awake once I get in it and am all warm and toasty. I absolutely love it.

Would love to donate my money to Sitka as well, but they don't acknowledge us "normal" sized folks 6'6" and above, and expensive camo in 80's concert Tee-style 3/4 length sleeves and high-water pants aren't in vogue at the moment.

garyRI

A friend of mine who travels a lot used his Cabelas credit card cabelas dollars on Sitka stuff for awhile and found it got ripped up by our southern new england briars/wild roses. I used to use a surplus mummy bag to sit.

Harry

Not sure what he was wearing, but I've beat on the Sitka Fanatic jacket hard and it has held up. Used it today to walk the Dog in 12-14 degrees with a good wind and stayed comfortable. If I would have had the bibs on it would have been too hot moving around. Have some other Sitka gear that is lighter and have hunted Grouse in it. No complaints.

garyRI

Appreciate the input but re: hunting out of tree stands in cold wx with a harness does anyone think the advantages of coveralls (w/harness) outweight parka/bib with harness.

MAArcher

If I had the coin I'd buy wool.  King of the Mountain or Sleeping Indian.  Believe it or not you could try it out for a couple seasons and sell it on eBay for almost what you paid for it if it didn't work out.  My cheap Columbia Galatin Range wool has lasted 10 season, can't imagine how long good stuff would last.  

garyRI
5 hours ago, MAArcher said:

My cheap Columbia Galatin Range wool has lasted 10 season, can't imagine how long good stuff would last.  

Columbia Galatin stuff is on ebay all the time. How is it for being windproof?

MAArcher

It’s not.  Generally wool isn’t.  I wear a windproof scentlok jaket under it.   It’s my experience that anything windproof isn’t breathable, so I sweat walking into my stand. If I’m going to stay on stand for a long time then I don’t put on the wind proof layer until I get there.

MAArcher

Also, my little brother has those remote control electric souls for his boots and says they work amazing. I may get those and a vest.