• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
garyRI

Input on cold wx "stand" outfit.

garyRI
18 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Also, my little brother has those remote control electric souls for his boots and says they work amazing. I may get those and a vest.

I wear felt pack boots when it is really cold & I'm going to sit, augmented with a hot hands brand toe warmer. My definition of really cold is under 20F.

I sat for a couple hours in near single digits yesterday and my feet could have stayed all day. The rest of me "not so much", even with hand warmers and body warmers.

My go to pants for cold are lined insulated LL Bean bib wool malone style. I can go three hours. My warmest coats are a Columbia quad parka and an old school LL Bean "Woolrich style" black/red plaid coat. I think the LL is a tads warmer, but again, about a three hour limit for both. 

Been looking at battery heated vests. With an extra battery seems like the lightest option for cold days.

polecat

I think I stay much warmer if I layer up.A couple layers of lightweight fleece  over long johns and a shirt followed with a windproof or waterproof shell on the outside.I always carry over booties and mittens and a fleece neck gaitor/hoodie in my pack when its cold.Boot blankets and a hotpack taped to the top of my toe plus insulated bibs when it's a long sit in the real cold.A muff with a pair of FJ winter golf gloves with a hot pack in the muff.I don't like to be cold. Raven wear(did) makes some sub temp gear at premium prices. We did cancel a goose hunt in the morning no sense sitting out in Tomorrows weather.

MAArcher

The warmest jacket I've used is an LL Bean goose down and Gore Tex jacket.  I think it was called their "Maine Guide Parka" when my wife bought it for me 10 years ago.  It cost almost $500.  Its seriously warm, dry and windproof.  I don't hunt in it a lot because its too warm, but if I'm snow blowing the driveway in driving wind and sleet, its a life saver.  I don't see the same jacket on their website now but I bet their Maine Mountain Parka and Baxter State Parka's are just as warm, plus you could zip off the fur trim (I guess that's very fashionable now and is what's driving the good price for western coyote pelts) and use it as a coyote decoy.

This is the same one I have but mine is green:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LL-Bean-Goose-Down-Navy-Mens-L-Tall-Gore-Tex-Parka-Jacket-Coat-Winter-Cold-XL/282794818125?hash=item41d7e27a4d:g:0s4AAOSwjM5aJLXN

I bet you could get the the contact info for the seller, then if no one buys it in the next day, contact him through ebay and ask him to relist with a buy it now price of $75 and you'd get it.  Then get a white snow camo poncho which is what I do.  

idcut

I'll tell you what I wore in AK when out running around on a sno go in below 0 temps. I wore a down vest, a down light weight jacket and a pair of Carhart coveralls with the black lining. The white military bunny boots and a fur beaver hat. I can't say that I ever did get cold with that outfit, even in -30 or colder temps. It may be a bit cumbersome though for getting into and out of a stand.

garyRI

Sat for an hour this AM over bait for coyotes in the open behind some cover. Temp was 5F with 10-12 mph breeze. I'm satisfied I have keeping hands warm & being able to shoot figured out. My base layer top has the long sleeves with thumb holes. I put large stick-on Hot Hands brand body warmers over the back of my hand and wear inexpensive smart wool type knit gloves over.

MAArcher
11 hours ago, garyRI said:

Sat for an hour this AM over bait for coyotes in the open behind some cover. Temp was 5F with 10-12 mph breeze. I'm satisfied I have keeping hands warm & being able to shoot figured out. My base layer top has the long sleeves with thumb holes. I put large stick-on Hot Hands brand body warmers over the back of my hand and wear inexpensive smart wool type knit gloves over.

Glad you figured it out! 

I tend to lose gloves so my favorites are cheap rag wool knit glomitts from WalMart.  I like the glomitts so you can expose your trigger finger easily without taking the whole glove off.  For real cold weather I take the adhesive chemical toe warmers and stick them in the mitt part.  I also have the base layer with thumb hole and think they are the cats meow.  Until you use them you don't realize how much heat you lose out your wrists.