• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Larry Brown

Big Ten--7-0 in bowl games

studdog

The marketing of sports amazes me.  People around the world are starving and we spend Billions on stupid spectator sports.  Sometimes it seems we've made very little progress as human beings. I'm guilty as well having watched some of it. 

My mother was from SC I've been watching the Gamecocks mediocre teams for years.  Good to see them beat M.

dogrunner

I say give Jimmy a long term contract extension. xD

Dogwood
12 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

National Championship game:  Georgia vs Alabama.  Sort of answers the conference strength questions.  

Pretty much.  All hail King Saban.

Dogwood
12 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

National Championship game:  Georgia vs Alabama.  Sort of answers the conference strength questions.  

Pretty much.  All hail King Saban.

Millriver

For pure entertainment, that Rose Bowl game will be hard to beat. The Sugar Bowl after that was a snoozer. Not a huge college football fan, would rather have an expanded playoff system, but will watch the National Championship hoping to see an exciting game. Last years was one of the best football games I'd ever seen, until our Patriots won the Super Bowl 😎

dogrunner

B73EF1E4-E40E-4A95-A303-CFA33F291C43.jpeg

Fla Shorthair

Roll Tide Roll.....

Don Steese
7 hours ago, studdog said:

The marketing of sports amazes me.  People around the world are starving and we spend Billions on stupid spectator sports.  Sometimes it seems we've made very little progress as human beings. I'm guilty as well having watched some of it. 

My mother was from SC I've been watching the Gamecocks mediocre teams for years.  Good to see them beat M.

I'm glad someone has the guts to say it!  The very fact that something as trivial and unimportant as sports captures our attention the way it does has always fascinated me. Of course it could be convincingly argued that hunting isn't all that important either I guess. 

charlo slim
11 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I'm glad someone has the guts to say it!  The very fact that something as trivial and unimportant as sports captures our attention the way it does has always fascinated me. Of course it could be convincingly argued that hunting isn't all that important either I guess

Maybe.... but at least we directly take part in hunting, rather than just watch it.  Huge difference, no?

Don Steese
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Maybe.... but at least we directly take part in hunting, rather than just watch it.  Huge difference, no?

Yes, and it's life and death. Plus they don't devote an entire section to it every day in the newspaper or an entire segment on the evening TV news. 

I'm also amused by the fact that politics has become a spectator sport for a fairly big part of the population. 

sneem

Actually its just the SEC Championship a second time. It will be a big regional game but there will be very diminished national interest. I see the ticket prices are through the roof. No surprise. Alabama and Georgia playing in Atlanta. In baseball they call that a subway series. Again from a national perspective, its just a glorified regional game. 

I will be very interested in the national TV ratings for the Championship game. I am pretty sure the Committee will have grave thoughts in the future about picking two teams from the same conference to be in the four finalists. I'm very sure they will never again seed two teams from the same conference so that they can play in the championship game. This matchup is a dead zone of national interest.

SEC fans can justifiably brag, but it may be killing the goose that laid the golden egg.  One good outcome might be this will be a major incentive for expanding the final list to eight teams. The Central Florida defeat of Auburn and the bowl record of the Big Ten with no representative in the championship running also gives ammo to broadening the number of teams.

kadehippy

Millions of dollars for College  Coaches .  and my Grand kids can't afford to  go to college without ending up with huge student loans. But I still watch it and follow it sooooo how dumb am I ???????????

Big Al

Sneem, are you saying they would make their decision of which teams should be in the playoffs based on how much money the games would generate in lieu of the best teams being picked.  Say it ain't so.

sneem
12 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Sneem, are you saying they would make their decision of which teams should be in the playoffs based on how much money the games would generate in lieu of the best teams being picked.  Say it ain't so.

Nah! They'd never do that.

jeff88

SEC will end up about .500 in the bowls this year, Big 10 is 7-1.  From The Sporting news concerning the Big 10:

Winner: Big Ten

The Big Ten didn't make the College Football Playoff, but it did the next best thing by compiling a 7-1 bowl record, highlighted by New Year's Day Six victories from Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin. Michigan State and Purdue won as underdogs, and Iowa and Northwestern took care of business. Michigan couldn't quite pull off the sweep, but this is a statement from a conference building capital for the 2018 College Football Playoff race. This is a good launch point.

Loser: Jim Harbaugh 

Michigan turned a 19-3 lead into a five-turnover, second-half meltdown in its 26-19 loss to South Carolina in the Outback Bowl, the final stroke in a five-loss season that's going to turn up the volume in Ann Arbor heading into Harbaugh's fourth season. Harbaugh isn't on the hot seat, but given the social media typhoon that was created upon his arrival, it's time to expect something more. Is Shea Patterson the quarterback to do this? We'll find out in the opener against Notre Dame.