• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Larry Brown

Big Ten--7-0 in bowl games

Big Al

I'm a Michigan native but have been out of there since 1981.  I was always a UM fan back then but now I've become a SEC guy.  Anyhow as much as I don't like Harbaugh I still need to have UM beat Ohio State.:(  There's no way I could ever want an Ohio State team to win anything.  The Schembechler vs Hays rivalry was legend.

barna

I am an OSU fan but do not hate MI, its good to have strong teams in the big 10. The exception is made during MI week.  As far as Harbaough, I think he brought the team around, but yet to beat OSU and chocked in a couple of bowl games. I would give him more time, at least 4 more years.

I hope Bama gets spanked tonight,

Barna

Tilkut

A pox on both your houses. Especially Harbaugh. Go badgers. 

dogrunner

Let’s get it on. 

gunsrus

Great game last night . What a performance by a freshman quarterback and he's humble too , I love it !!!!!

mister grouse

Not a fan of either team, but it was actually TWO impressive freshman quarterbacks on display.   IMO About as exciting a game and finish as one would want/expect  to see for a national championship.  So much for Alabama not deserving to be in the playoff ( and I really really do not like them at all)..  

dogrunner
19 hours ago, Big Al said:

I'm a Michigan native but have been out of there since 1981.  I was always a UM fan back then but now I've become a SEC guy.  Anyhow as much as I don't like Harbaugh I still need to have UM beat Ohio State.:(  There's no way I could ever want an Ohio State team to win anything.  The Schembechler vs Hays rivalry was legend.

You got a better chance with MSU beating the buckeyes. 

jeff88
16 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

Not a fan of either team, but it was actually TWO impressive freshman quarterbacks on display.   IMO About as exciting a game and finish as one would want/expect  to see for a national championship.  So much for Alabama not deserving to be in the playoff ( and I really really do not like them at all)..  

+1

A516

Georgia with Kirby Smart as coach will be near the top for a long time.  The state of Georgia is a talent hotbed.  Think DeShaun Watson, Cam Newton, Jake Fromm, Calvin Johnson, etc. and the top two quarterbacks coming out of high school in 2018 are out of Georgia (one to Clemson, one to Georgia).  Alabama will continue to "reload" every year.  The state of Florida has been loaded with talent for years.  Georgia will join Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and possibly in the near future Penn State in topping the football polls each year.  If Saban continues to open up the offense with Tua at qb it could be very interesting at Alabama.  But lets face it.  The rushing offense will always be number 1 at Alabama until it is stopped (as it was last night).  For the record I am not a Georgia fan.

The word out down here in SEC country is that Tua had been outplaying Jalen Hurts in preparation for the playoffs (and in practices all year).  Particularly in the passing game.  It is also rumored that Tua was talking about transferring if he didn't get to play as he felt he had showed he is the better qb.  It will be interesting to see what Jalen Hurts does (transfers or becomes a running back, etc.).

And Meyers and Harbaugh are egotistical jerks of the worst type.  No class.

dogrunner

The whole Deep South is a talent hotbed not so much up this way. 

A516

TV ratings are out.  Ratings UP from past years.  So much for it being "just a regional game".

67diesel

What's happened with the Pac 12 teams?  Univ of Spoiled Children and UCLA are mediocre.  Washington is back a bit.  Cali was a huge talent hotbed, I have a hard time believing that that is all gone.  The league barely sniffs a playoff mention.

And while I'm at it, Texas Longhorns?   I would have thought that most kids in TX would want to play there?  Does the administration and alums meddle too much to attract a good coach or what? 

jeff88

TX schools seem to go in cycles.  If you came from a school such as from the Big Ten, you would often be slack-jawed at what is the norm in TX as far a football is concerned.  For instance, the money spent at High Schools for football dwarfs Division 2 & 3 schools elsewhere.  The attention from adults to interfere in proceedings, and I say adults with not a little sarcasm, is mind-boggling.  My wife and I are friends with a local retired HS Basketball Coach/Phys Ed teacher and his stories are unreal.  Now take what I just wrote above and cube it as far as college football goes.  Look, A&M just threw insane amounts of money at a guy who's 1st name is Jimbo.  Jimbo ran one of the foulest, dirtiest programs when at FSU and delivered a crappy season with a hugely talented squad so his reward is a whopping raise.  And here I used to think UT was the bad guy locally.  When they won their last Nat'l championship their grad rate was below 30% for football players and the arrest rate was higher than that.  Now we get to hear their ex-coach, Mack Brown, pontificating on ESPN.  Don't get me started on Baylor.

What does an FSU football player hear when he is wearing a three piece suit?  "Will the defendant please rise."

Big Al

I don't understand the Jimbo hire either.

jeff88

Resurrecting this thread to tell about a recent exchange at the gym between a Michigan State buddy who I haven't seen in ages and me across some machines:

Bill:  Jeff, great to see the Big 10 went undefeated in the bowls this year!

Me:  What?  No, they were 7-1 Bill.

Bill:  Really?  Who ruined the perfect bowl season?

Me:  Michigan, they lost their bowl.

Bill, now grinning like a butcher's dog:  Oh, that's right, it was Michigan who blew it!

OK, now I'm thinking WTF is Bill so happy about.  Turned around a bit to see a large, unsmiling guy wearing a Michigan t-shirt right behind me.