• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Marshall Wright

RV Rental

Marshall Wright

Happy 2018 All!  We are going to be on the road, visiting with family for two weeks this summer. I was thinking instead of hotels (or sleeping on floors and couches) of renting an rv. Anyone done this before?  Recommended vendors?  Pitfalls?  I’m in Virginia, going to Nebraska. Thanks!

greg jacobs

My daughter and her family have a trailer but went on a trip with good friends and rented a motorhome. They really enjoyed the trip it was a little crowded so in that situation you had better be mighty good friends. We take the 5th wheel even visiting the kids that are 100 miles away. It is much less intrusive and then we have our own space for us and the dogs. Both kids have enough space for us to park at their places. I like going out to eat occasionally but get burned out in a hurry. Much nicer to eat home cooking.

PartridgeCartridge

IMO, RV's are much better rented than bought, especially the big fancyschmancy ones. Those vehicles are probably the worst investment you can make.

Lots of options in the rental space and you can walk away from the thing when you are done. They can be a fun way to travel.

grousehunter 61

If you are looking for an investment he is right, if you are looking for a great way to travel he's wrong. Their is nothing nicer then your own bedding, dishes, bathroom. It will sit more then you drive it, but like ours, we don't half to do anything but get in and go, it is outfitted complety.  When you get tired, pull over and stop. Ours is an old one ( 1983 ) but it is all we need,, its been to the east coast and back a couple of times, hunting in Kansas and Wisconsin and here in Idaho, down the Oregon coast, Utah, Calif, Washington state,. The thing I like about the older gas coaches is the ground clearance, they are built on a truck frame and will go just about anywhere you want to go. I get about 10 to 14 mpg and as someone once said, not great for a car but great for a house. Look in to an older gas coach, a lot cheaper then the fancy new ones.

gunsrus

I've always wanted to go West and hunt but refuse to drive other than a motorhome . If anyone can come up with a name or Company that rents with reasonable rates , I'd be all ears . 

Brad Eden

I can only say we rented an RV back in 2000 or so. We (me, Jo Ann, Liz and Lexi) drove from Maine to my inlaws in Naples Florida. It was more of a huge, Conversion van but had a bathroom, dinette, sleeping etc. Also a built in TV, video player that kept the kids amused. It was only a week trip so I forbid use of the bathroom because I didn't want to deal with emptying it at a campground....we slept in it a couple nights and it wasn't very comfortable, again probably due to its modest size. It was parked in inlaws condo parking lot mostly. We did have some electric issues at the onset but a frantic call to the rental place while on the New Jersey turnpike...solved that. The most interesting event was driving the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. All went well until JoAnn insisted we get off it and take a sideroad to ground level. We picked a road that went straight down with switchbacks. That RV was heavy as hell and I was white knuckling the steering wheel and laying on the brakes all the way down. I was seriously spooked. Burnt the brakes out almost completely. Sooo...it was a fun trip and one we will all never forget. My advice is to get a big enough RV, go over all the functions and bells and whistles before driving it off rental grounds, and avoid mountain top roads and switchback service roads.

grousehunter 61

This is our 1983 Sportcoach,  

oNKDewgm.jpg

We paid $10,000. 15 years ago...

Marshall Wright

That would be awesome to have. I just need it for two weeks this year. Sometime soon, I hope, I’ll be able to spend more than two weeks on vacation. 

Don Steese

Just Google RV rentals. Lots of options. Cruise USA is probably the biggest. Looks like 1500 to 2000ish for a two week rental.  

I love my motorhome and we use it a lot, but they're not cheap to buy or operate, so renting is probably the way to go if you're only talking a couple weeks a year. Mine is an older one but it's big and luxurious enough to be very comfortable and homey. If my wife likes it, it's got to be nice. She's a Hilton kinda gal!!:D

UplandHntr

While I didn't look into rental this year, when I have in the past the hard part to accept is charging mileage on top of the weekly rental fee. It wouldve surpassed the rental fee. Maybe thats changed

atticus

I had the same thought when I looked into this several years ago. The mileage cost was too much for me to justify. 

dogrunner
On 1/1/2018 at 1:07 PM, gunsrus said:

I've always wanted to go West and hunt but refuse to drive other than a motorhome . If anyone can come up with a name or Company that rents with reasonable rates , I'd be all ears . 

If thats what you want to do you better tow something behind it or you will not be able to get in very many areas to hunt with a rig like that, at least not where I like to go, especially if the weather is bad. 

Brad Eden

Don't you have to be sort of a "Campground" person to enjoy owning and traveling in an RV? Sort of like a "Cruise" person. 

Like many people we dreamed of buying an RV and traveling the country. Finances, and the fact I dont like RV campgrounds sorta put the kabosh on that. Too many people, tiny areas to try and maneuver a rig into. Most of the ones I've seen or been in are like mobile home parks. And you need to stay there to hook up to stuff and empty septic tanks etc.. There are only so many Wal Mart parking lots. Just my miserable 2 pennies.

Dogwood
17 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Don't you have to be sort of a "Campground" person to enjoy owning and traveling in an RV? Sort of like a "Cruise" person. 

Like many people we dreamed of buying an RV and traveling the country. Finances, and the fact I dont like RV campgrounds sorta put the kabosh on that. Too many people, tiny areas to try and maneuver a rig into. Most of the ones I've seen or been in are like mobile home parks. And you need to stay there to hook up to stuff and empty septic tanks etc.. There are only so many Wal Mart parking lots. Just my miserable 2 pennies.

Ice storm in the forecast?

Brad Eden
22 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

4 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Ice storm in the forecast?

Snow.