• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Marshall Wright

RV Rental

grousehunter 61

Brad, to answer your question, no, If I hadn't been hacked and lost all my photos I could show you some photos of our motorhome in areas that required very high vehicles. In one of my x-photos is a sign that says if you go beyond this point , search and rescue will not come and get you , we went 20 more miles into the back country. That is why I like the older gas motorhomes, built on a p30 frame with 2 feet of clearance. That old 454 chevy just keeps on running. The newer coaches sit to  low and can hardly get off road.

Clueless1

Rented an RV last year with the family to go to Yellowstone.  Ran it from Colorado Springs to Yellowstone and back.  One thing is sure when renting and RV, the pictures are taken when it is new and in good shape.  If you follow through on this, do not rent just from pictures online.  Go see it in person.  Most of the rentals from an RV rental place will be beat.  We ended up using the campground showers.  Very good memories of our family being 'stuck' in a 32 ft RV for the week and we had to spend the time together, but my wife and daughter probably won't do it again.      

There are private individuals that will rent as well.  Higher price, better shape RV.  Depends on what you want.  

Curt

If you only want it for a two week vacation then of course renting is the only way to go, pay the fee and walk away when you're done.  Partridge Cartridge is correct about owning RV's, it's a loosing proposition from an investment standpoint if you're looking at it from that perspective.  I own them because I like to travel for fun, for hunting, for lots of reasons, and my three dogs always go with me.  Try that staying in motels.  This past summer I sold my 30' Rv, a 2014 model that I bought new in Sept of 2013.  I towed it just over 28,000 miles and stayed in it over 500 nights in the 3 1/2 years I had it, much of that was hunting trips.  I replaced it with a new 2017  35 footer and am using it as I type this to avoid (Florida) the snow and ice of our Pennsylvania winter.  They aren't for everyone but they do offer a degree of flexibility, particularly if you plan to travel to out of the way spots or are traveling with unwelcome companions, like three brittanies.

My current rig is an off road capable 5th wheel trailer with specialized systems for cold weather use and solar power to supplement the generator for boondock camping.  I pull it with a 4x4 diesel truck that can go virtually anywhere a vehicle can get to.  Unlike most 5th wheel setups our all aluminum hitch removes from the truck in less than five minutes and weighs only 37 pounds, freeing up the bed for dog crates, etc.  When it's time to leave, the hitch reinstalls in another five minutes and you're ready to go.

dgfavor

Hello...my name is Doug...I'm an RV'r

DSC09736_zpsoj010uef.jpg

Greg Hartman
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, PartridgeCartridge said:

IMO, RV's are much better rented than bought, especially the big fancyschmancy ones. Those vehicles are probably the worst investment you can make.

The word "investment" shouldn't be used in the same sentence, or the same paragraph, for that matter, as "RV", especially the "big fancyschmancy" ones.  A nice MH is quite expensive and its value goes down like a cockbird with a load of #6.  So, Dave is right if you are only looking at the money.

But, what is money for?  A nice MH, pulling an off-road competent vehicle, simply cannot be beat as a mobile bird hunting lodge for a serious bird hunter who takes frequent, extended trips for hunting - IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.  If you are going to go this route, you need to look at the cost of the MH, plus its upkeep (which is substantial on a big diesel Class A), as money well spent on maximizing your enjoyment of your time on the road as a travelling bird hunter.  You need to figure that, at the end of the day, the money you spent on the MH will be gone (so your kids won't inherit it when you are dead), but you will have enjoyed your travels and created a lifetime of memories.  Obviously, this comes down to a question of how you want to spend your money.  Does buying a "big fancyschmancy" MH make the slightest bit of financial sense?  No.  Of course not.  But, neither does buying a nice shotgun or really anything even vaguely related to bird hunting.  You are spending money for personal satisfaction, enjoyment, comfort, etc - or not - as you choose and as your financial circumstances allow.

I have spent my share of time sleeping in the back of my pick-up for weeks with the dogs, in the sorts of cheap, smelly motels that will take dogs, even in nice bed-and-breakfast places.  When you are going far for extended periods, there is simply nothing that comes even close to living in total comfort in the familiar surrounding of your own home, wherever you go.  You have your own food, your own bed, your own office for when you need to work, your own washing machine, all your own stuff at hand, no one is going to complain about your dogs, you come and go as you please, etc, etc. 

I agree that some campgrounds are slums with wheels, but there are some resort type places that are as nice as the cheap ones are bad.  In the east, you will have to use campgrounds at times, but in the west, the only time you need to hit a campground is to empty and fill tanks - something that needs done every week or two. Even then there are countless small and usually virtually empty small town campgrounds.  If you are a little inventive, the world is full of places to "camp" (if that's what you want to call parking your home) pretty much everywhere, including the east.  Here we are "camping" at a closed church, far from anywhere in MN:

Dakota - 2009 - 10-4-09 - MN - camp on the road - 2.jpg

polecat

Wow.

Marshall Wright

Thanks for the info, everyone.