• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
watermen

Creating grouse habitat quickly

vabirddog
16 minutes ago, Peent said:

If you had a decent base population of grouse it would be a different story.  

May be, these were in areas with grouse present although scarce and there are still grouse there but I have seen no appreciable bump through several seasons. Could be other unidentified factors discussed at length elsewhere but those are the real observations while other areas with clearcuts did bump population quite well. fwiw, appalachian, very different from No forests.

GraceinVA
1 hour ago, vabirddog said:

I have not seen any benefit for grouse here in va from those select cuts. It will appear to have some effect the first couple years but I suspect that is from the ground disturbance. Clearcutting is the only true habitat creating solution it seems here. Back when laps were left (whole tops) it was different but there was much more cover and birds everywhere at that time.  2cts

My experience in VA is the same. I really want to find birds in select cuts and each year i'll try a few, but I haven't found any that I keep on my "hit list." Which stinks because I have some decent sized select cuts near me which are in historically good grouse hunting areas but they just don't produce. But then again you can't expect much from a few 12 acre select cuts that are surround by 30-50 year old timber (thousands of acres) with a clear cut or 2 thrown in. Its a shame

Cool pics Peent - they sure look Rhonda grousey in there.... 

MNice
On 1/4/2018 at 12:05 PM, GraceinVA said:

Cool pics Peent - they sure look Rhonda grousey in there.... 

Yep, the brush is not for the meek!

MNice
On 1/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, Peent said:

If you had a decent base population of grouse it would be a different story.  

Peent

I have a project NE of Duluth and we're looking for a consulting forester. It's 120 acres of private land which the county issued a selective timber sale for the bordering 155 acres and the private landowner's would like to entertain the possibility of improving habitat on their parcel using the logger awarded the sale. Any ideas?

Peent
11 minutes ago, MNice said:

Peent

I have a project NE of Duluth and we're looking for a consulting forester. It's 120 acres of private land which the county issued a selective timber sale for the bordering 155 acres and the private landowner's would like to entertain the possibility of improving habitat on their parcel using the logger awarded the sale. Any ideas?

Give me a call, I'll PM you my phone number.  

MNice

Will do, thanks Peent!

RuffChaser
1 hour ago, Peent said:

Give me a call, I'll PM you my phone number.  

Did a walleye give you your phone back???

Peent
7 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

Did a walleye give you your phone back???

No but it's still on the bottom of Lake of the Woods.  

RuffChaser
5 minutes ago, Peent said:

No but it's still on the bottom of Lake of the Woods.  

I figured that but for your sake I was hoping it would happen.

Peent
1 minute ago, RuffChaser said:

I figured that but for your sake I was hoping it would happen.

Proud owner of an IPhone 8 now.  I may be on LOW tomorrow.  If so, it's staying in my pocket.  Except for the two conference calls I'm scheduled to attend.  

RuffChaser
Just now, Peent said:

Proud owner of an IPhone 8 now.  I may be on LOW tomorrow.  If so, it's staying in my pocket.  Except for the two conference calls I'm scheduled to attend.  

Probably should do those calls from the truck. Wait, how thick is the ice??? 

Nice habitat you're making BTW.

dogrunner
7 minutes ago, Peent said:

Have you seen the new bar on LOTW?  

1407256E-FDD9-441F-ADDC-80DC7DAD1B45.jpeg

Peent
15 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Have you seen the new bar on LOTW?  

No I stay away from such riff raff.  

dogrunner

:D

ScottGrush
On 1/3/2018 at 11:12 PM, watermen said:

I agree from a wildlife only standpoint the more edge the better.  I try to balance economics and forest health and diversity as well as wildlife benefit.  The first forty cut had Approx.  80% of timber removed.  I took all the popple, and maple and white oaks, and left cedar, white pine, and red oaks.  Second forty was almost completely deforested to regenerate. I left the cedar and some Big white pine that were some they figured survived the Peshtigo fire.  The next two this month, one will be 90 % harvested with  oak wilt appearing and a thinning of some red pines.  The other is along a major river and just a thinning of mature trees and popple and birch.  A hired forester writes the plan and my FIL who is a retired forester looks over them and explains them to me.  I try to balance all the bricks.   Tough to  do, when you throw in disease, and other factors.   Private land in this area is not managed much at all, the market may change with a change to NAFTA.  I learned a lot from many ends.

Oak wilt in the area and you harvested the white oaks but left the reds. What's the rationale behind this? Reading your post again maybe these sites are hundreds of miles apart. 

Just curious. Your first photo in the original post looks like a red oak thinning trying to develop crown and regenerate some seedlings.