Dongotto

Bringing the top lever right of center?

Cooter Brown
1 hour ago, tut said:

Just close them somewhat slowly and let the lever snap over to where it should be and let the locking surfaces engage properly.

Mr. Rowe didn't advocate slamming the gun shut, which he does in the video to transfer the soot.  He basically said not to baby it or pussyfoot the thing.

Rockdoc

As you said it's a cheap gun, since it's on face, even with the forend off, why not just leave it alone. When it finally does begin to go off face get yourself a can of good beer, not that lite beer crap. Drink the beer and then take a pair of shears and cut off a short sliver of the beer can and fit it on to the barrel pin with some grease to hold it in place. After you put the barrels back on the soft aluminum will crush to fit (and your top lever will probably be right to center). I've shot several flats of shells through guns "repaired" like this before having to replace the aluminum shim. But remember, and this is very important, no crappy lite beer!

Steve

Dongotto
19 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

As you said it's a cheap gun, since it's on face, even with the forend off, why not just leave it alone. When it finally does begin to go off face get yourself a can of good beer, not that lite beer crap. Drink the beer and then take a pair of shears and cut off a short sliver of the beer can and fit it on to the barrel pin with some grease to hold it in place. After you put the barrels back on the soft aluminum will crush to fit (and your top lever will probably be right to center). I've shot several flats of shells through guns "repaired" like this before having to replace the aluminum shim. But remember, and this is very important, no crappy lite beer!

Steve

Rock, I like your suggestion. I might try that. I do however drink bud light. I drink cheap beer, but good whiskey! lol

Kind of like putting a little disk of milk jug under the pawl for the worm gear on a ABU 5000 reel. Gets them working again and keeps them that way for quite a while. 

Thanks again

Rockdoc

Dongotto, I’ve been a doublegun “collector” for going on 20 years. Being a doublegun bottom feeder, what I enjoy is finding old doubleguns that most people would consider wall hangers, freshening them up and putting them back to work. I'm often drawn towards doubleguns that are unique in one way or another, old hammer guns, percussion doubles, damascus barreled guns, guns with lefaucheaux underlever break actions, and I’ve come too really like French made guns in general. Like I said, my goal is not restoration but rather making the gun look nice enough to take out in mixed company and safe to shoot (with proper ammo). When I tire of the gun I pass it on to its next owner.

Steve

BTW my goal when freshening up an old gun is to first do no harm so that if a future owner wants to restore the gun he won't be hampered by the previous work I did freshening it up.

Don Steese

I've also participated, along with the infamous Browndog, in a fix that includes a dab of JB Weld on the hook. The fact that it took two of us to complete this simple operation says a lot!! Just grease up everything you don't want the epoxy to stick to.It works! McIntosh would refer to us shade tree gunsmiths as "ham fisted clods" but he's not around to give us grief! I like the beer can idea but I'll let someone else empty the can!!

Marc Ret

Depending on the extent to which the gun is off-face, the beer can fix may or may not work. If you need slightly thicker stock, a cheap set of brass feeler gauges are a good option to get you where you need. Obviously, shimming the hook is a temporary fix but if you only plan to shoot a box or two a year it will get you by for some time. 

shinbone
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, WAGinVA said:

Dongotto,

If the gun is tight with the forearm off the position of the top lever is of NO consequence.  Take the forearm off, close the action and shake the gun while holding the stock, then shake it while holding the barrel, if it is truly tight and the action does not rattle the only thing you need to do is shoot the gun

+1!

tut

Ok., here is a two minute fix that will work for tightening the hook.  First, get some denatured alcohol and degrease the hook.  Look in all the junk mail you have and you will no doubt find someone somewhere that send you some address labels for free because of they want you to give money to their charity.  They will be paper and they will be self stick (like a stamp).  After you degrease the hook, then cut the address label to fit the hook and put it in place.   Then put the gun back together.  Amazing, you will now have a gun with the lever to the right and tight on the action.  Shoot the heck out of that gun for the next 2 months and then get it fixed proper.  If you don't want to get it fixed proper then repeat the steps above the following season.  Trust me guys.  This does work because I did it temporarily on two different Parker PH shotguns.  :) 

Dongotto
10 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Steve

Tried it as soon as I got home and worked like a champ. Perfect fix for this old girl. Tut, I appreciate your tip as well. Had a beer handy.lol

Mike Connally
1 hour ago, Dongotto said:

Tried it as soon as I got home and worked like a champ. Perfect fix for this old girl. Tut, I appreciate your tip as well. Had a beer handy.lol

Damn!

I don’t get to use my two pound hammer!

Dongotto
1 hour ago, Mike Connally said:

Damn!

I don’t get to use my two pound hammer!

Sorry Mike. I appreciate the satisfaction on hitting stuff with a hammer.lol